Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No signal detected

• Please log in to reply

Henderson3411

Henderson3411

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So long story

Windows was updating, computer left on, hours later come back to blank screen, restart computer get "bios checksum error" restart computer a few times, finally shutdown computer for an hour, boot back up, hear 1 beep, computer sounds fine, screen black then displays " no signal detected ", restart few times, check cables, im currently using vga on my benq g2420hd, unplug, replug, use hdmi cable with same result, restart again, hear one beep, hear window 7 liad from theme sound, still blank screen, i press a few keys and then play all while no screen, get my favor song to start playing, still no signal.

So i figure the computer fine, some driver updated happen and the monitor isnt working. I dont have a second or wxtra monitor and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to fix and get the screen working again.

Ps im using my iphone to type this out so the sooner the better. I have medical assignments due next week an need my desktop files thanks guys

Advertisements

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Is your VGA cable plugged into the slot located on the motherboard? Or do you have it plugged directly into your graphics card?

I had the same issue a while back and realized that I had to plug my VGA cable into the back of my graphics card in order to get picture on my screen.

When I had tried to plug a VGA cable & a HDMI cable into the back of the motherboard (So the cable went from motherboard to the screen) I got no signal (no picture).

Not sure if your setup is similar to mine, but that is how I solved my issue of "No Signal" to monitor.

Hope this helps a tad bit.

Edited by Basmastersix, 09 November 2011 - 10:37 PM.

Henderson3411

Henderson3411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a amd apu, i currently been using the VGA cable because it works and is simple. Currently no video card just the on "cpu" graphics socket lol oh amd. Anyways i restarted it again this time no monitor plugged in, got 1 beep, then windows theme opener, then the "feeling" of the computer ilding. Got the music to play again by retracing my keyboard strokes. I currently am running the computer with the cable plugged back in and still "no signal detected". I wish i had another monitor to test the port or a video card to switch ports.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hummmm,

Yea I am not sure. It could possibly be a bad cable. But then again you said you tried an HDMI on top of that.

I don't really know what else to tell you because you do not have a second monitor to test the connection with.

Do you have an HDMI Television? That would be the only other option I would suggest unless you have a friend that can loan you his / her monitor for a quick test.

- Bas

Henderson3411

Henderson3411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok so i was able to use my sanyo tv as a monitor, but it still disnt work, got mo signal for "PC" mode or with HDMI. I really dont know whats happening to my computer if anyone needs specs just ask.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I'm at a loss. I can only imagine that this problem is caused by some type of problem with the physical VGA connection (Either the socket or the actual cord) ... Seeing as how you can get sound to come out of your speakers, meaning that you are in Windows doing things with just the keyboard.

I searched google for this issue a moment ago, and Majorgeeks has a large thread around this issue. I did not read the entire thing but, it seemed as if there was some good discussion going on about the same issue your having.

Here is a link to it:
http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=233005

I hope this helps!

- Bas

Edited by Basmastersix, 09 November 2011 - 11:37 PM.

Henderson3411

Henderson3411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Lol tries the tv idea. Like you said and i thought of. Still no luck. Im thinking of just bring it into a computer atore to get checked. Maybe ita te dricers and i need to install a internal video card. Or maybe because i dont have a DvI cable, i should buy ine and test that theory. Maube the computer just needs a break. Man updates are computer killers. When i get this one back and running im taking more of a manual approch to my computer and not an automatic one. Ill updAte tomorrow to inform if anything changed

Henderson3411

Henderson3411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Read the linked forum you provided. Sounds like my problem as well. They keep saying to unplug and replug in the cmos battery or replace it all together. I might try that. Funny thing is i ahould try that safe mode idea. Shoot in the dark and see if i hit aomething and just keep trying then i get a result. Ill give that i try tomorrow have a good night

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Good luck!

Keep us informed.

- Bas

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Every time a computer boots, it checks the connected hardware and creates a checksum. Then it compares that checksum to the checksum previously stored in the CMOS last time the settings were saved in the BIOS Setup Menu. If they don't match, you get an error. If you did not just add a hard drive, or change your RAM or something similar, then this error frequently occurs when the motherboard battery dies, or is dying and can no longer hold sufficient "holding voltage" on the CMOS module. The result is the CMOS module dumps it's stored data - in other words, the BIOS is reset.

So, since they only cost a couple dollars, I recommend unplugging from the wall, touch bare metal of the case to discharge any static in your body, then remove the motherboard battery and take it to your local battery/camera/watch counter and get a new battery. Typically these counters recycle so that's why I say to take it with you.

Do NOT touch the new battery with your bare fingers as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean sock over my hand. If it works, you will see a display and you need to immediately boot into the BIOS Setup Menu, set your date and time, make sure your drives are properly identified, then "Save" and Exit to hopefully boot normally.

If nothing still, then you might need to install a graphics card, since it appears your on board graphics does not work.

Henderson3411

Henderson3411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok so i called a tech guy and he took a look see. He said that my settings in BIOS were not set right for my monitor and that my power cables inside the computer were a bit mismatched. So $40 and he fixed it. I get it back this afternoon. Hope it works.

Henderson3411

Henderson3411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
@digerati, the computer is brand new. All of it mb cpu memory hdds, i have no dedicated video card, was running off the apu from the motherboard. If the battery was the main reason i dont believe the computer eould have booted up normally and get to the desktop ilding stage. I noted that in a previous post. That i was able to play music by random key strokes but could see anything, like as if the monitor wasnt even there.

You could be right that the ports from the mobo are bad, in which case i'll need a dedicated video card. The tech guy said he got it working so maybe i overpaid for a new battery or it was drivers or te bios settings were wrong. Im not too sure but all i do know is i have to go pick up my computer and test it on my monitor. Then check that everything is working like before

Specs:

Amd a6-3650 apu 2.6ghz
2x4gb corsair xms3 ddr3 1333mhz
Gigabyte f1 socket ga-A75-D2H
750 ultra pw
2x 1.5tb wd hd
750gb wd hd
Benq 24" G2420HD ws 1080p monitor
LG dvd writer
Windows 7 premium 64bit

Edited by Henderson3411, 10 November 2011 - 12:03 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

If the battery was the main reason i dont believe the computer eould have booted up normally and get to the desktop ilding stage

If nothing else is wrong but a dead battery, a computer will still boot up with no problems. All the battery does is provide a "holding voltage" on the CMOS module so it can stay powered and hold its data. And its data is the custom BIOS settings like the date and time, or boot device order the user sets in the BIOS Setup Menu.

Having a bad battery just means the BIOS starts from a reset - the motherboard's default out-of-the-box status each time you boot.

But, since this is a "brand new computer" - an important fact that would have been good to know in your opening post - this problem should have been called in to tech support for "warranty" repair, and that would have been suggested in my first post.

If this tech guy is the guy you bought this computer from, then he's ripping you off! He should fix it for free. Wires mismatched? That sounds fishy to me and in any case should be handled under warranty - unless you pulled the cables yourself and did not reconnect them to the proper motherboard connections (assuming that's what he means by "mismatched"). Did you pull and reconnect any power cables?

And you don't set anything in the BIOS for monitors! So that sounds fishy too because the BIOS does not care or communicate with monitors. The BIOS communicates with the graphics solution which is a graphics card, or integrated graphics, as in your case. The BIOS can be set to configure which graphics solution is used first (if you have more than one installed) - but it is very rare for this needing to be manually set, especially when using the integrated solution. In fact, if the BIOS is reset, it would automatically go to the integrated solution first anyway.

If this tech guy did not build the computer (and therefore is not responsible for the warranty service), then $40 to sort this out may be a good price. But his description of mismatched wires and monitor settings in the BIOS sounds like he's just making up stuff to justify his time.

If you get more checksum errors when you get the computer back (and I suspect you will), you need to contact the computer's warranty support. It could be bad RAM, or a bad motherboard.

You could be right that the ports from the mobo are bad, in which case i'll need a dedicated video card.

NO! If the ports on the motherboard are bad, the computer assembler needs to provide you warranty support and get you a "FREE" replacement motherboard from Gigabyte!