Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crypt32.dll Error - Bad Image Checksum - BSOD

• Please log in to reply

JD74

JD74

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I’m looking for help on my Dell Desktop 4300 machine. The computer was working fine and all of a sudden I got the Blue Screen of Death.

I get an error message during boot up that says Crypt32.dll error, bad checksum, the image doesn’t match the computed checksum – or something on those lines.

I’ve tried booting in safe mode, tried to do system restore, and tried to do a last known configuration. None of that works.

I burned some bootable disks and tried BitDefender, Kapersky Rescue CD, and Avira Rescue. Avira scanned my computer and found some errors in my Java application. It renamed the files but when I rebooted the computer I still get the same error message and BSOD. I also tried to use AVG Rescue Disc but I can’t get the .exe file to write to my USB drive, and the CD won’t boot.

I thought the hard drive might be done but I can see the programs noted above scanning my files, so I can see they are all still there.

I won this computer in a lottery at work as they were upgrading their equipment. It did not come with a Windows XP disc so I can’t do a repair.

Any suggestions on how to get this computer back into shape and/or get my files off the hard drive?

Thanks in Advance!
JD

Edited by JD74, 10 November 2011 - 01:19 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi JD74 and :)
First of all retrieve your data off the HDD, you can use Puppy Linux for this http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/ let us know when this is done and we can move on from there.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Than you! I will try this over the weekend. I just have one qiestion about the Puppy Linux CD. When I start pulling my files off the drive, can I burn them to a CD ROM and when the disc fills up insert another one, an so on? OR do I need an external hardrive with lots of storgae space to dump on all at once.

Thanks for your time!
Jason

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi Jason,

When I start pulling my files off the drive, can I burn them to a CD ROM

Drag and drop your data to either an external USB HDD or a USB memory stick and then burn to disk off that device.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Puppy Linux works great! I have begun the process of moving all of my files over, however, I need a larger hard drive so I'm going to look for a portbale external 1 TB drive in the next week. After I move all of my files I will let you know.

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Thanks for the update http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136469

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi JD74 and :)
First of all retrieve your data off the HDD, you can use Puppy Linux for this http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/ let us know when this is done and we can move on from there.

Hello!

I got myslelf an external portable 1TB hard drive. I moved all of my files and I'm ready to try to fix this computer. I would appreciate any help in getting past the Blue Screen of Death error noted above.

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Jason

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi JD74
Are you able to boot up the computer at all?

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
When I boot up the computer I see the Windows XP logo flash on the screen and then it goes to the Blue screen that says I have a bad image checksum and Crypt32.dll error. Thats all I can do. I trie a safe boot and system restore and had no luck. I cant get past the blue screen.

Thanks

Edited by JD74, 27 November 2011 - 02:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Then follow this tutorial exactly as Admin advises http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/ and remember you need the Repair and not the Recovery option.

Advertisements

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok...I dowloaded the xprc.iso file and burned it to a cd. I booted the computer and got to the blue screen that says welcome to setup. I typed R for a repair, I thought it said repair but it was recovery. I tried to reboot and do a setip but I get a message that says"setup did not find hard drives installed on your computer". It says setup cannont continue. Press F3 to quit. I can't get past this.

Edited by JD74, 27 November 2011 - 03:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
This may suggest one of two things 1: The HDD data cable is bad or loose 2: Your HDD is bad.
Is your HDD detected in the BIOS?

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I will turn off the computer and check the cable. I'm not sure if it detects it in the bios. I would need to check that out somehow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
First you will need to access the BIOS using the means that is appropriate for your machine, see the attached link; http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service that may be offered there.
Your HDD should be included on the list, it may be something like WD1382534 if it is a Western Digital brand for example, if there is no HDD detected then you should check both the data ribbon/cable and the power connection from the PSU (power supply unit).

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So, I think I got into the computer's bios, I pressed F3 during boot up and it got me to a utility configuration menu. I get to a blu scree that says Hewlett Packard Setup Utility, and then I go to Storage -> Device Configuration. It lists my hard drive as SATA, 160GB, Model St3160828AS, Firmware 3.02.......etc.

I have an identical computer that a coworker gave me so I switched out the single black "drive" cable. That didn't work.

My computer had room for what looks like a spot to add additional HDD. There is a cable that is not being used. On the black connectors is has writing that says, P13, P12, etc. I tried taking a picture but phone is acting wierd.

Am I on the right track?