Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crypt32.dll Error - Bad Image Checksum - BSOD

• Please log in to reply

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried the additional cable that is just sitting there in the machine and I did not have any lock. Computer is still not detecting the HDD. I'm stumped now.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

So, I think I got into the computer's bios, I pressed F3 during boot up and it got me to a utility configuration menu. I get to a blu scree that says Hewlett Packard Setup Utility, and then I go to Storage -> Device Configuration. It lists my hard drive as SATA, 160GB, Model St3160828AS, Firmware 3.02

This at shows that your HDD is detected, to change the boot sequence on many machines you need to press either the F8 or Del key whilst the system is powering up.
I would stick to trying to sort the one PC and HDD at present, below is a more detailed explanation on how to change the boot sequence;
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've been to the menu several times and see my boot sequence is CDROM --> USB --> and then HDD.

I've been loading Puppy Linux and the ARC disc you told me about. Do you want me to boot from the HDD second, after the CDROM?

Edited by JD74, 27 November 2011 - 06:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The boot order should be 1: CD drive and 2: The HDD.
I will be offline now until around 1900hrs UK time as I need to sleep before work in about 6hrs, someone else may offer assistance meanwhile.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for your help.

I set the boot order to CD ROM first, then the HDD.

I run the XPRC.iso cd and get to the blue screen where it says Windows XP system set up. my computer is still not reading the HDD though.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you were able to backup your data using Puppy Linux then there is probably nothing wrong wrong with your hard drive.

When you were following the directions here: How-to repair Windows XP How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade, did you see this?

When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.
That means you do not enter R at that time, just press Enter.

The screen after you press F8 is where you enter R to do a Repair Install.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I accidently hit the R first and realized I made a mistake. I tried to reboot and just hit enter but I still get the same message saying my HDD cannot be found

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There may now be a file system problem.
Boot the CD again and this time you do want to get to the Recovery Console.
Once there, enter chkdsk /r and press Enter.

This will do a thorough scan of your hard drive for problems. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the drive so be patient and let it complete.

Remove the Cd and see if Windows will boot. Maybe the problem was a corrupted file system all along. If not, put the CD back and try the Repair Install again.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Everytime I load the CD and I get to the Blue Screen for the Windows System XP, that is as far as I can get. It doesn't matter if I just hit ENTER or R for recovery, I get the same message saying that my HDD is not there.

I just booted Puppy Linux to see if it can read my HDD and it has no problem. I can see my files just sitting there, so I know the HDD is still working.

I burned another disc of the XPRC.iso image and still having the same issue. Maybe I will try re-downloading the file and burning another disc. I'm trying to eliminate everything.

When the disc is booting there are notes/messages at the bottom of the screen in white that list files. I noticed two messages. One says to press F6 to load SCSI Drivers and another message right after it says to press F2 to "run an automated system recovery". Are either of these an option to get to the next step?

I included images of the two blue screens that I see and can't get past.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• blue1.JPG
  • blue2.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The Dell 4300 comes with two IDE channels, no SATA ports at all so there must be an addon SATA card that the SATA, 160GB, Model St3160828AS drive is connectd to. If so then you need to load the SATA driver for it, which you do by pressing F6 when you see the press F6 to load SCSI Drivers message.

The SATA driver must be on a floppy disk. That should give you access to the hard dive.

Advertisements

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
This is very useful information! I will try to find the driver I need (So far I've been unsuccessful) and load it tonight after I get home from work. Can I boot the driver off a USB Flash drive?

Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
With XP, the only way I know of is with a floppy disk. With Vista and Windows 7 I think you can use a flash drive. The 4300 has a floppy drive so it should work.

If you can't find a driver disc, you can look at the SATA PCI card itself and hopefully get the make and model number then go to the manufacturers web site and download the driver. I don't know of any other way to find out what make and model number it is.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, I think I am screwed becasue my computer doesn't have a floppy drive that I would be able to use. All it has is a CDROM.

I think I'll be getting to a point where I take a sledge hammer to this and put it out of it's misery. Sucks becasue all the advice you guys have given me has been dead on and i'm stuck at this point. I have an identical computer to the 4300 that is not being used. The hard drive in that won't make a difference if i install it as a second in the machine, would it?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does the 2nd 4300 also have SATA support? If yes then you can install the one from this machine there.

Then you can run chkdsk /r against that drive to see if it fixes any problems and gets you back up again. How did XP get installed on a SATA drive to start with? Did it come that way?

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
These desktops are old machines from the company where I work. When they get past thier time, my company has a computer lottery and gives them away to the employees.

The desktop came loaded with Windows XP on it. They didnt give us the installation disk so I could never run a repair on the machine.

I believe the computer is exactly the same so i'm assuming it does have SATA Support. I will have to check tonight when I get home.

So, you want me to install the HDD on the good machine into the machine I'm trying to fix, and then run chkdsk/r? Will the computer boot off the good HDD or will load the problem HDD first?

Thanks,