Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crypt32.dll Error - Bad Image Checksum - BSOD

• Please log in to reply

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I installed the other HDD. I'm running chkdsk right now. I will let you know how I make out.

Advertisements

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So, I installed the additional HDD and the computer boots up with no problem. I set it as Local Disk © and the troubled HDD as Local Disk (D). The HDD I'm trying to fix has all my files on it when I click on it, so I know the drive is not bad, however;

I followed the instructions below but when I rebooted I'm still getting the Crypt32.dll error and BSOD.

1.Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2.Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3.Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4.Use one of the following procedures:
◦To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
◦To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
◦To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Am I doing this right to fix the errors on Local Disk (D), the troubled drive?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, the other way around. Take the hard drive from the computer we've been working on and put it in the one you have not been using as a 2nd SATA drive.

First see if the other machine boots. If it does then shutdown and power off, put the drive in then boot up. After XP recognizes the new drive and assigns a drive letter you can open a command prompt and enter: chkdsk x: /r (where x": is the letter assigned to the drive.

Or, from My Computer, right click on the new drive and select Properties. Click on the Tools tab then click the Check Now button. On the next screen, check the box that says Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Let that run to completion, then put it the drive back in the other computer and see if it will boot.

Sorry, you made your 2nd post before I responded.

Use the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors method. See if that makes any difference. If not, move the drive back and copy Crypt32.dll from the working system C:\Windows\system32 to the one that is having the problem then move it back and try booting again.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I will try replacing the dll file when I get home. Should I move the HDD to a different machine? I just installed the good and bad drive in the same system. I set the good HDD as the first one to boot from and it works fine. When I want to check the bad HDD, I just remove the cables from the good HDD so it boot the bad HDD.

Would I be getting accurate information by doing it this way, or MUST I switch out the drive to the other computer?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What you are doing is fine. That's actually how I would also do it if I had identical hardware like you have.

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Bingo!!! That did the trick. I copied the crypt file from the good drive over to the bad drive and the computer booted up. My files and everything are still there. I got a message booting up that said a front USB drive could not be read but I will deal with that later.

It's time to install Microsoft Forefront and start cleaning up the garbage on the drive.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the support!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That is great news. Glad you are a persistent person :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JD74

JD74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I don't quit. I love fixing stuff. Time for my next challenge.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I don't quit. I love fixing stuff. Time for my next challenge.

Sounds familiar :whistling:
Well done I am pleased you got it sorted :thumbsup: