Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with connecting to internet wirelessly

• Please log in to reply

Mr_Gilb

Mr_Gilb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently got internet in my new flat, the router and internet works fine on my laptop and ps3 but my desktop cannot connect!! It runs on windows 7 and Ive got a bit of a crappy USB wireless adapter, I couldnt install in with windows 7 because its abit old, ran the install in compatability mode and it worked fine at my old place with the wireless internet there but this is a new router and new ISP. The adapter picks up the router and can attempt to connect but every time I try it just says "Windows was unable to connect to ...".
Ive tried running cmd and release and renewing the ip address, but obviously it not being on the internet yet it did nothing. Ive looked for other forums and I can't find a solution anywhere!!
Please help!

Thanks

Advertisements

Mr_Gilb

Mr_Gilb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Also the adapter I use is a Realtek RTL8187, sorry I left that info out