Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan spins, shuts off, PC will not start up

• Please log in to reply

Justin Rauschenberg

Justin Rauschenberg

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Mobo is: EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Came home today and noticed my machine was off - which is strange because I rarely shut it down. Tried to start it up - the led's come on, the CPU and GPU fans start spinning, but in about 1.5 seconds they stop and the machine shuts off. It then tried to spin up again within another second and repeats this process ad nauseum.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Justin Rauschenberg and :)
Possible causes may include a bad PSU (power supply unit) and overheating, please provide the brand and output of the PSU and tell us when if ever the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Justin Rauschenberg

Justin Rauschenberg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the welcome!

PSU:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

I thought it was either PSU or mobo related. I blow out the dust once every 2-3 months and the inside of the case currently has a fairly low amount of dust, though it could be cleaned. I'd say the last time I blew the dust out was about a month ago.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Could it be possible that there is a lose connection inside the PC?

Meaning, the main power-cord to the motherboard or the power-cord to the CPU?

- Bas

Justin Rauschenberg

Justin Rauschenberg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Could it be possible that there is a lose connection inside the PC?

Meaning, the main power-cord to the motherboard or the power-cord to the CPU?

- Bas

I thought about that as well. I wiggled and tested everything. The attempts to boot seem too well timed for it to be a loose cable. It's very uniform in the timing.

Edited by Justin Rauschenberg, 10 November 2011 - 07:42 PM.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well if you have gone through and checked that everything on the inside of the computer is snug in its place...

1.) All power-cables
2.) Memory units
3.) Graphics card (if you have 1)
4.) Hard drive Sata cables

And it still is not working... Then as stated prior by phillpower2, it could be due to a bad power supply unit.

Not being able to physically see the computer myself, these are all just the thoughts going through my head to help you troubleshoot.

- Bas

Edited by Basmastersix, 10 November 2011 - 07:48 PM.

Justin Rauschenberg

Justin Rauschenberg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Well if you have gone through and checked that everything on the inside of the computer is snug in its place...

1.) All power-cables
2.) Memory units
3.) Graphics card (if you have 1)
4.) Hard drive Sata cables

And it still is not working... Then as stated prior by phillpower2, it could be due to a bad power supply unit.

Not being able to physically see the computer myself, these are all just the thoughts going through my head to help you troubleshoot.

- Bas

Thank you for the suggestions good sir. I'll re-seat the memory and cables just to be safe. If it's the PSU, I guess the only way I'll know is to purchase a new one.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Not a problem at all. I wish that I knew a way that you could test to see if your PSU has truly failed you. That way you don't have to purchase a new PSU on a hunch that it has gone bad, but I dont.

So with that, unless anyone else has other suggestions beyond mine, I cant really help you any further.

But I wish you the best of luck!

Maybe before purchasing a new unit (if that's what you decided to do in the end) .. You might consider taking your PC into a computer shop to have them take a look at it.

- Bas

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sound advice from Basmastersix :)
Whilst you are checking inside the case please check that the CPU fan plug is securely connected to the header on the MB, the issue that you describe may also be a thermal one as in a sensor on the MB detecting the processor getting hot and shutting down to protect it and a common cause of this is a failed or clogged CPU fan and an inadequate amount of TIM applied but as you clean your system on a regular basis and the PC has previously worked ok the second and third possible causes may be ruled out but a failed CPU ruled in, let us know the results of the testing that Basmastersix suggested.