Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless adapter for Unbutu 11.4

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Having just installed Unbutu 11.4 on my old XP machine I have no way to get online except via the wireless adapter I have(Rosewill RNX-N180UBE).
How do I install the software on Ubuntu since it is obviously a Windows program. When I attempt to do an install I get a message that says something like there is no installation program available, or something to that effect.As always, any help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry that you have waited sometime for a reply.

Have you visited the Rosewill site

See this
http://www.rosewill....il_Download.htm
this is the driver for Linux kernel 2.6 - the current one for Ubuntu 11.4

Ubuntu is very good at recognising devices and many of the drivers for usb wireless are already provided, when you open Ubuntu is the device recognised when at a terminal prompt - that is the same more or less as the cmd prompt in windows - you type lsusb.
That is letter L but in lower case. The terminal prompt is Applications, Accessories from the desktop.

Have you checked on the top right of the Ubuntu desktop if the wireless adaptor is recognised.

This may help you further.
https://help.ubuntu....ireless_Adapter

I would start with exploring on the Ubuntu desktop, the top right of the desktop on the two arrows to see if the wireless network is found, if so the device is recognised and you need to commission it with any network key.

If that is no good proceed to my screenshot and open Network Tools on the System tab on the top left of the desktop and then administration.

If that does not work try the cmd on the terminal of lsusb and see if the device is recognised. It may help you there if you ensure that only absolutely necessary usb devices are connected.

If you get no success there - go to Rosewill on the link I have sent and download the Linux driver.

See my screen shots

One final question is this Ubuntu on its own, dual boot with Xp and where did you download it from HERE
http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, now the computer will not boot in either XP or Ubuntu. I'm having a friend see if he can figure it out and should be hearing from him shortly.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry to hear that, how did this occur.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
That's a very good question. I did a fresh install of XP and for about 3 weeks I had a computer that ran like it did when it was brand new. Then I started getting a half dozen or so different BSOD stop codes that I could never figure out. Eventually I installed Ubuntu thinking that I could at least use the pc for the web, etc...Then I started getting errors when booting into Ubuntu until finally it won't completely load either OS.

I spoke with the guy this morning who has it and he reinstalled XP (again) and the computer has been running since Thursday. He did say that the CPU shows 100% usage spikes for no apparent reason. I should know more in a few days when I get it back from him.

Thank you for the response

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well thks for replying.
There is really not a lot that can be done, as you do not have the computer.
With a fresh install, one may presume that it is hardware,failing hard drive. faulty motherboard, faulty graphics if a separate card, faulty ram.
Good luck with it.
Post if we can assist further.