Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow and not responding. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Do the following:

Click Start, type CMD in search.
From the results, right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following command: (If you have logged in as Administrator, you can directly execute CMD)

winmgmt /verifyrepository

When the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent" message, run the following command:[/list]
winmgmt /salvagerepository

This will perform a consistency check on the WMI repository and resolve the issue. Restart the system, once done and try enabling Windows Defender program.

Advertisements

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I ran the commands and restarted. I then enabled windows defender and it said check for updates. I tried twice but it would not download the updates. After about 6 minutes it automatically closes the window.

I openned internet explorer to get back on here and post. It loaded this website then when went to my topic it gave me the internet explorer cannot display the webpage. I clicked back and it then openned.

Edited by kwillard, 17 November 2011 - 06:39 PM.

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I tried again and this time it did update. It ran a scan and finished.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please try to run VRT tool once again as described here.

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok i ran the VRT tool and no threats were found. I have attached the zip file for the second part.

Attached Files

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Problems remains?

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It seems better today. I deleted a powerpoint add in that I had downloaded around the time I started having problems. I normally do not download things like that but I was having trouble with embedding a video in powerpoint for a school assignment. It was the file that the VRT tool kept hanging on. While typing this AVG just popped up and said "Threat detected". Trojan horse Agent 3. AXVV. I selected to move to the vault.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts

"Threat detected". Trojan horse Agent 3. AXVV

Please tell me which file is this and path to it.

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I looked in the virus vault and is says Trojan horse Agent 3. AXVV
C:\Users\kim\Desktop\OTL.exe

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
That is false positive. I recommend you to uninstall AVG and install one of the following:

I want you to run your PC as normal and if you encounter any problems come back to me.

Advertisements

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I removed AVG and installed Microsoft Securuty Essentials. I am really frustrated. I am having constant problems with Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. At times if they do load they load very slow displaying only portions of the page briefly. Sometimes it even looks like I am on a computer from 15 years ago not displaying the content properly. I do not know what the actual term for that is. Looks like an outline of the webpage.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. The same behaviour is with Firefox and Chrome?

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I do not have Firefox but I do have Chrome. It is very slow to load pages initially but seems to be a little better.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please install Firefox, browse with it and tell me if problems are the same as in IE.

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok I downloaded Firefox and still am basically having the same problems. It is incredibly slow loading anything.