Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virus Destruction

• Please log in to reply

Louis Aquiler

Louis Aquiler

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everybody! You may remember me as "The Guy with the Crappiest PC in the World" or "The Man Whose Dell Dimension is More Susceptible to Viruses than AIDS Victims". Well, I'm back with an all-new version of an old problem.

After clicking a curious link on Twitter, my screen was suddenly flooded with a barrage of fake "Your Computer Has A Virus!" threats, and fake programs to fix it. I was quick enough to see one was called "AV Security". I ran a quick search, and saw a large program with that name had been installed in my Windows folder under the "System 32" sub-folder. I attempted to immediately delete, but it wouldn't let me. I also attempted to scan it with SuperAntiSpyware and my malware program, but both said it was clean. That was all I had time to do before my machine was essentially overrun with [bleep] and locked down. I turned it off, hoping to start it in safe mode, but was only successful in producing a screen with a lot of text, all relating to "WINDOW/System 32". I'll post a pic I took with my phone tomorrow. (On my phone now, will upload from my roomate's computer)

So the question is, as always, what do I do?

Thanks so much for your help, as always guys. I really hope it isn't dead for good this time.

Advertisements