Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb power surge

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
crap, when i went to install my usb printer today, nothing happened. it is supposed to be plug and play but it wont get recognized. i went to look at the properties of the usb ports and they say they are working properly. i uninstalled them all and checked for hardware changes and they installed back. after they installed, a power surge on the usb error came up. this came up the first time I installed the usb drivers, but I disregarded it because it said the problem could be solved (or something like that) by pressing the reset after clicking on the ballon. i looked around on the internet and they say this is a serious error on some sites and on other sites, they say this isnt an important error and should be turned off. i am running xp service pack 2 which should have all the drivers in their already (thats the ones i installed too because thats wut the asus usb driver installation said to do). i am using a 530j cpu (3.0ghz, 200mhz fsp, prescott core), a p5gdc deluxe from asus (my mobo), and 512mb ddr memory (pc3200).

i need help/information on this usb surge error and help as to why my usb dont work.

note: i tried all the the ports and tried to connect my usb digital camera too (which didnt work either) and when I try to connect something that has a led light or something, it doesnt power up.

Edited by neilp4453, 01 June 2005 - 04:04 PM.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Sounds like the USB went out on the motherboard to me.

I doubt it will help but you can go into the bios and make sure there all still enabled?

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
maybe thats possible. but yea, they r all enabled in bios. the thing is, i have 4 usb on the back of the mobo and the case came wit two built in on the front. i plugged the front case ones on the mobo and they dont work either. so it doesnt seem to be a usb port problem persay. but i dont really know. also keep in mind with everything else I already sent this mobo in to asus to fix it up before. like 2-3 weeks ago. i got this pc working like a week ago.

Edited by neilp4453, 01 June 2005 - 06:49 PM.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
o and i really need fast help cuz I am havin a lot of trouble trying to print stuff at school. its hard to find time and most printers dont have color

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
something new: i plugged in an external usb port thing that gives you 4 usb 1.1 from one usb. that didnt power up at all. i put in my ps2 headset which works on my ps2 and still no light. the ps2 headset shouldnt require any drivers or anything cuz i did try to put it on my old pc and no drivers were needed. it seems like there is no power to any usb ports, front or back. also, i do get like a buzzing sound sometimes when i plug something into the usb but they also start to buzz when i dont have anything connected. a simple realignment of the case solves that problem. but any help??

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
XP has a setting called selective suspend. This can kick in if a usb device atempts to draw more than 500mA from the port. XP then suspends the port & they become unresponsive to usb devices. It possible I guess that something like this has happened to yours.

First thing to try then is got to device manager->action & select the scan for new hardware option. This can sometimes unsuspend the usb.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i did that a lot of times. also, i have no usb devices attached either.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You mentioned a buzzing noise, the only thing I can think of besides a bad board would be a case short or the front usb ports improperly connected

Rick

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i jus figured out the buzzing noise comes from my led fan touching wires. thats taken care of. i have all my standoffs on and i took of the front usb ports and stil the same problem. i dont understand. windows says the usb are working properly and they are capable of working.

if i cant find a solution, ill attempt to connect my pci usb 2.0. they arent really pci, but they fit in the pci slot. they came wit the mobo. so ill try those.

Edited by neilp4453, 03 June 2005 - 05:29 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just a quick thought, have the FRONT USB ports ever worked & if so, with which devices?

Advertisements

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
nope, it seems nothing powers on at all. i dont understand.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

nope, it seems nothing powers on at all.  i dont understand.

View Post

Yeah but have the front USB ports EVER worked?

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
no.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, can you have a quick look inside the computer then.
Switch PC off & unplug power lead. DO NOT touch anything inside but see if you can work out whether the front panel USB ports are connected or not.
Each pair of USB ports on front of case will either have a single cable with a plastic connector on the end or it will consist of a bunch of wires, each with their own tiny connector. These individual wires will be an assortment of colours (red, black, green or white).

When you find the USB cables, let me know if they are connected to the mobo or not. The USB headers themselves are located in the lower right corner of the board next to the battery. They are labelled USB56 and USB78 and are side by side.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
the front usb are concealed behind a metal plate and it has a usb wire thing that comes out. i do see those wires you talked about. they all come together to for that usb connector that goes on the mobo. i attached that to the mobo where it says on the manual (even so, those usb connectors on the mobo talk about connecting the extra usb I got for pci so I dont know if that can be a problem).