Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb power surge

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

i attached that to the mobo where it says on the manual (even so, those usb connectors on the mobo talk about connecting the extra usb I got for pci so I dont know if that can be a problem).

View Post

I'm not sure I follow you.
I did say NOT TO TOUCH anything inside the system but if the USB connector is a single block connector with several wires going into it (as opposed to multiple connectors, each with a single wire) then you're probably safe enough provided you haven't just connected it straight to the 1394 (firewire) header!

(I'm serious about the firewire by the way, the usb and firewire headers are identical but NEVER mix them up!)

The PCI bracket USB ports that came with the motherboard, are an alternative to the front USB ports. ie you can connect one or the other.
The motherboard manufacturer provides the PCI bracket ones in case your PC case doesn't have front panel USB.

The next thing you need to do, assuming you have connected the USB connectors correctly, (please double check you haven't used the 1394 headers on the board by mistake)is to make sure that all usb controllers are enabled in the bios.
If you have the mobo manual there, you should be able to look the instructions up for this in the manual. If you have any problems with it, let me know & I'll talk you through it.

Advertisements

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i connected everything properly. but no power. i also installed the pci usb cuz I have two usb connectors on the mobo so I can have the front usb and pci at the same time along wit the back usb ports. but none of them work. and they are all enabled in the bios.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, I need a summary of where we are at with this. I know you have told me all of these things at some point, but I think an updated summary would be useful here...

Can you please confirm :

1. You have 2 USB headers on the mobo (other than the fixed ones). These are labelled USB56 & USB78. What do you have connected to them? Do you have the PCI USB ports connected to one header, and the front panel USB connected to the other?

2. Do you have any USB devices (including hubs) connected at all to any of the USB ports? If so, what are the devices & which ports are they on?

3. Do all of the USB controllers (there should be 4 in total) appear in device manager & are they reported by device manager as fully functioning?

4. Have you tested the rear (not PCI or front panel) USB ports since, by connecting a simple usb device (such as a mouse or keyboard)?

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
1. You have 2 USB headers on the mobo (other than the fixed ones). These are labelled USB56 & USB78. What do you have connected to them? Do you have the PCI USB ports connected to one header, and the front panel USB connected to the other?

I have nothing connected to them because they don't recognize anything or give power to anything. Yes, I have one connected to one header the other front usb to the other header.

2. Do you have any USB devices (including hubs) connected at all to any of the USB ports? If so, what are the devices & which ports are they on?
None, because nothing works.

3. Do all of the USB controllers (there should be 4 in total) appear in device manager & are they reported by device manager as fully functioning?
Yes and they say they are working.
4. Have you tested the rear (not PCI or front panel) USB ports since, by connecting a simple usb device (such as a mouse or keyboard)?
I've use the most simple usb items I have which include a ps2 headset, webcam, 4-port usb 1.1 port thing (dont know exact name), and a actual usb2.0 device (cd-rw)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
First, very quickly, you said the front USB ports had never worked. When I asked you to open the computer up & look at the mobo, can you confirm that the front usb ports WERE NOT connected to the mobo before this point?

OK, I want you to try these things next :

1. Bios (I know the USB is enabled in bios etc etc but please verify all of these settings below)

Go to the 'advanced' screen in bios & check each of these are set to the values I've put here :

usb function = enabled
legacy usb support = Auto (or disabled)
USB 2.0 controller = enabled
USB 2.0 controller mode = high-speed

2. Make sure you don't connect any usb devices until I tell you to.
Uninstall any software installed by your USB devices (eg printer drivers & software etc, from add/remove programs in control panel.

3. Reboot your system in safe mode (press F8 key repeatedly the moment before XP starts to load, then select safe mode from the boot menu).
Go to device manager, click on the VIEW tab & select show hidden devicesoption. Next look in device manager for the following entries & delete them. These must be deleted in the order they are listed in below! :

1. USB DEVICES except for usb keyboard/mouse. (e.g delete usb printer/CDRW/scanner etc).
2. Delete any usb HID devices starting with the webcam. Then delete the rest (eg usb keyboard, mouse)
3. Delete ALL USB ROOT HUBS
4. Delete ALL USB CONTROLLERS

Make sure you have the CD that came with the motherboard handy & the XP cd just in case. Then reboot the system normally

4. Next, find one usb device that has its own power supply (eg usb drive with an AC/DC adapter for example).
FIRST connect the power to the device & switch on, THEN connect usb cable to PC while PC is running in windows.
Look for any sign that windows has detected the usb device being connected, even if the device doesn't actually work. If not, try a different port.

If the usb ports still don't work after all this, go back to device manager & let me know what IRQs are assigned to each usb controller & what other devices are sharing those IRQs with them. Device Manager will report that there is no irq conflict but I want to know which ones are being shared anyway.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
we have internet again. i tried that and it didnt work. ill edit in the irq stuff in a bit.

Edited by neilp4453, 27 June 2005 - 11:02 AM.