Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

2nd hard drive has drive letter conflict

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have two hard drives in my computer which is a old Compaq Presario 5WV271 5000 series, both hard drives have Windows XP pro (service pack 3)that I installed on it years ago. It has the max alotted memory, a 10/100 PCI NIC, 900 MHz AMD Athlon Processor, a master hard drive 40 GB (drive C) that I am using to connect here and a slave hard drive 60 GB that says drive D when I am using it but not found when on drive C. For some reason drive C shows a (New Volume F). I am posting here to see if anyone can help me to understand why my slave drive which started out being New Volume F (which it still is when I look for it from drive C) is showing local disk D when I am using the slave. Does anyone have any idea why the slave would reletter itself and how do I correct this?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly Welcome to GeekstoGo.

Secondly, as you have also posted in the Malware forum on this link

that matter of your perceived possibility of an infection must take prececdence.

Therefore no advice can be offered here on the Xp forum, as attempts to remedy the problem with the drive letters, may well impinge on what the Malware expert advises.

Please be patient and wait for the reply in Malware. They are VERY busy and it may be sometime before they get chance to assist you.

Thank you.

NB If you have a question you may of course respond on this thread., but not to further the assistance here.
Also please do not add any post to your Malware thread, as doing so creates the impression it has received assistance., as we look for threads with NO REPLY

• 34,114 posts
By using 2 different Tech support sites you can run the risk of having conflicting advice given and that can lead to a system being made unusable or unstable.
If you would like help from the other site then please request from a Administrator or Moderator that this topic be closed. If you would like GTG to help then please ask for the other topic to be closed. Thank you

Your other topic is on WTT HERE