Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winsock32.dll doesent exist yet is somehow required ?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Wierd file system corruption issue i came across. i keep getting errors that winsock32 is not a valid win32 image. The wierd thing is the file doesent exist in system32 but when i try to replace it i get a replace file dialogue ? heres the kicker hidden files are turned on and hide protected operating system files are turned off and i am logged on as administrator. so i figured it might be a rootkit trojan but the wierd thing is that when the drive was moved to another machine the files were still hidden. even more so when i initially looked for winsock32.dll it is listed as a well known windows file but was unable to find said file on any of my other machines or in any of my xp install disks. so someone tell me what the [bleep] is up with this phantom invisable file

Edited by mikeloeven, 11 November 2011 - 10:10 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please check again. The file is in System32 folder in Windows. You do NOT need Show hidden files and folder nor Do not hide protected operating system files as it is not hidden nor a protected file.
Please see my screenshot.

Slight delay now as I am my XP computer but returning to my usual to continue post.

I am back on my usual computer now.
Please confirm that the error message is as you have said and NOT
wsock32.dll

There is a vast difference.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 November 2011 - 02:34 PM.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
no the error clearly says winsock32.dll is the filename. thats why i assumed it might be a rootkit since therezseems to be a phantom file named winsock 32 but winsock.dll is still there

Edited by mikeloeven, 11 November 2011 - 04:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In order to eliminate any possible confusion - on my part.
WHICH FILE IS THERE and which FILE is not there.
Please send me a screenshot as I sent you.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
winsock.dll exists winsock32.dll doesent apear to exist if i try to insert a file named winsock32.dll it will prompt to replace the nonexistant file. this kinda looks like something sneaky or a really screwed up file table

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
winsock32.dll - should NOT be there is System32. folder.
I would be more concerned if it WAS there.

Event Viewer, errors on that report please or use this if you find it easier.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System This one in your case pls.
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error SELECT ONLY THIS PLEASE ON FIRST RUN
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20) in your case enter 15
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) in your case the date approx five days ago
    In the To: boxes type today's date
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
mikeloeven

You started this thread on 11 Nov.
My last post 6, on the same day asked if you would send me the result of event viewer log.

You have never responded.

When you get chance would you please do so, indicating if the problem is solved, and it would be helpful to people browsing the threads if you could say HOW.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 November 2011 - 11:43 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
mikeloeven

Your lack of reply after a further 4 days is disappointing.
As a member since 2009, you must be aware that it is not really acceptable to just leave your thread in mid-air so to speak.

If of course, other matters, are preventing you having time to respond, please do so when yoyu get chance.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
sorrey to leave you hanging i have been very busy at work .but the computer belonged to a friend and they basically gave up on it and told me that they were just going to buy another one because they needed a computer and it was taking me too long to fix :/ still i wish i could have figured this out. but anyway i am starting to think there were some hardware issues as well as the software issue because there were some devices that were showing up with issues and reinstalling the drivers didn;t fix it. also the issues started right after that big storm that took out the power in CT. I had also tried to reinstall the operating system and gotten repeated I/O errors when the drive tested out good. so i am thinking that it may have had a virus of some kind that was causing the system 32 error but the power outage actually damaged the systeml. and while i was hyperfocused on this wierd file i failed to diagnose the real issues untill i tried to reinstall the os and started encountering all the hardware issues. so end result i ended up just coppying all of her files onto the new machine she got at staples. but regardless the machine is no longer in my possession so i am sorrey but i think this ticket is dead for all intents and purposes

Edited by mikeloeven, 19 November 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for replying.