Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange desk top icon

• Please log in to reply

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
i just noticed these three icons on my desk top i have no idea how or why they showed up i appreciate your help you guys are the best!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• screen shot.jpg

Edited by jamiemad1, 11 November 2011 - 05:32 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What is the Desktop.ini file?
This hidden file is placed in every folder to tell the operating system how to display and customize the viewing of that specific folder. For example, this allows a folder to have a custom icon.

Why did this file suddenly appear?
The file is typically set as both a hidden and system file. Most people start to notice the desktop.ini file after globally setting their system to show hidden system files and folders. Often it is most noticeable on the desktop. By resetting this setting to hide these files, the desktop.ini files will no longer be visible.
See link for more HERE AND HERE

NOTE Enabling the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) setting in Folder Options hides the two Desktop.ini files, as well. To access the Folder Options, open Windows Explorer, click Organize, click Folder and Search Options and select the View tab.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
hi, and thank you for your time. I looked where you said and the settings where as you said they should be any other ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• geek.jpg

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi jamiemad1,
Presently I don't have an idea as to why they just showed up like that, I was under the impression that the hidden file exercise would have fixed it, you could uncheck it and recheck it then reboot and see if that helps.

Have you run any scans on the computer, like OTL tool? I'm not asking you to run it. I ask because I have seen that tool create similar icons on the desktop before.

Edited by zep516, 12 November 2011 - 08:26 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is odd they would just appear. You can certainly delete them. If Windows needs them, they will be rebuilt - and hopefully remain hidden. I would run your malware scanners to be sure all is clean.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
If I'm not mistaken I have seen TFC (Temporary File Cleaner) by oldtimer leave those type of icons on the desktop too.

Edited by zep516, 12 November 2011 - 08:57 AM.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi again i did the recheck and reboot and they are gone :) thank you for your help that was strange but you made it an easy fix thank you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Great! I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the followup.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

The Firefighter's Prayer
When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage;
Give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child before it is too late
Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me,
To guard my every neighbor and protect his property.
And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life;
Please bless with your protecting hand
my children and my wife.

Author Unknown

Thank you for using Geekstogo!

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thank you Zep and digerati!!! You guys are great!! it is a great thing that you guys do here and i have much respect for you and your knowledge :) .

Edited by jamiemad1, 12 November 2011 - 10:43 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Your thanks are our paychecks - and make it all worthwhile! So thank you, and you are welcome.