Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ventrilo Static When I Talk

• Please log in to reply

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi there everyone,

I have had this problem for some time, but have just not bothered trying to resolve it until now.

When I am in the program Ventrilo on my desktop and I am talking to other people, they tell me that they can hear static along with my voice. (I can also hear this when I "Test" my microphone and listen to the playback of

my voice.)

Now I know for a fact that it is not the Ventrilo codec that is being used, or my microphone... Because on my laptop, when I go into the Ventrilo setting's and "Test" my microphone, and listen to the playback of my voice

I hear nothing. And when I am on my laptop, I have never heard complaints from my friends.

Now I am not sure if this problem only happens with custom built PC's.. But 2 of my other friends have custom PC's that they built as well, and all 3 of us have this issue with the static. It's not like it overtakes our

voices when we talk in Vent, but, it is annoying to hear the background noise constantly.

Anyway, here is a screen shot of my device manager with the "Sound, video and game controllers" category expanded:

Snip 1.PNG

With that, I am not exactly sure how to tell which one of those is my primary audio driver... But that is the list. And on top of that, I am confused on why there are so many

Nvidia High Definition Audio's.

Also, here is a screen shot of my Ventrilo settings for reference:

Vent.PNG

Anyway,

If anyone has any feedback regarding how to possibly resolve the issue of having static accompany my voice when I talk on Ventrilo it would be greatly appreciated!

- Bas

** As a side note, I do not have a sound card. I use whatever was built in with the motherboard. **

Edited by Basmastersix, 12 November 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. If that is integrated audio as you say, then go to the motherboard site and check that you have the latest driver for the Nvidia audio chip.
As you are on 64 bit Windows please ensure you download and install the correct driver.

2. On the Ventrilo panel, click Binds and reset sound input device

3. Go to the Ventrilo site
Reintsall the latest Windows Client software for the 64 bit

http://www.ventrilo.com/

DO ONE FIRST PLEASE.
Called away back in one hour.
DO not proceed to 3. at this time

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Macboatmaster,

According the Asus website my motherboard has this as its integrated auido:

- Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6251 for Windows vista 32bit&64bit/WIN7 32bit&64bit

So, as per your request I have installed the latest drivers for this audio device.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I am not exactly sure why the Nvidia High Definition Audio devices are listed in my device manager. The only thing that I can think of is that they came with my Graphics Card (which is a

Asus Nvidia GTX 570).

Anyway, I have not moved on as you requested. I will move on to the next step when you are ready.

- Bas

** By the way, #2 in your list is blank.. Not sure if that's a glitch or what, but I thought I would give you a heads up. **

Edited by Basmastersix, 17 November 2011 - 01:31 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It was blank because I was called away before I settled on the course of action for Ventrilo

Please try it with the audio driver you have installed. If no improvement please then proceed to what is now in 2.

There will be a three second delay or so after resetting before you can use the mic.

Is this computer a generic build or an OEM. If OEM please post make and full model.- Cancel that just read custom build - sorry

Please post Asus motherboard details

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Macboatmaster,

I GOT IT!

After following the steps that you provided, and messing around with the Realtek HD Audio Manager I have found exactly what I was looking for in terms of quality of voice in Ventrilo.

It sounds exactly like what it supposed to!

So with that, I would like to thank you again for all of the help that you provided! And I look forward to seeing you around the forums in the future.

This issue has officially been resolved.

- Bas

Edited by Basmastersix, 17 November 2011 - 02:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I edited my post after returning to include the item that was missing at 2.
Try that please

2. Please post motherboard details as per my request in mypost 4.

3.If one fixes it, you may have to do it a couple of times, it will ONLY apply until you restart the computer or Ventrilo

It appears that if this is the case, it is a question of either static being picked up on the wiring - are you using the front micriophone port. - That is a favourite try the one on the I/O if you are - ie the one on the rear.

4. Check your settings as here
go to "SOUND" icon in your control panel.

click the RECORDING TAB. - Is your microphone level set to MAX if so reduce it to half.

Click the PLAYBACK TAB
Double click the playback device your using should be your default (green ticked one)

now click on the LEVELS tab
on the Line in slider - click and then uncheck the small speaker symbol at the end of the line (just to the right of the number box)

Click OK

Now click the RECORDING TAB again - the active microphone should now just show the pale blue colour with a slowly rising green bar to indicate your mics picking up sound. (instead of the maxed out green colour)

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Macboatmaster,

I GOT IT!

After following the steps that you provided, and messing around with the Realtek HD Audio Manager I have found exactly what I was looking for in terms of quality of voice in Ventrilo.

It sounds exactly like what it supposed to!

So with that, I would like to thank you again for all of the help that you provided! And I look forward to seeing you around the forums in the future.

This issue has officially been resolved.

- Bas

** This is a duplicate post, you squeezed a reply in right before I posted this.. But I wanted to make sure you saw it :) **

Edited by Basmastersix, 17 November 2011 - 02:03 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased it is sorted for you.
To answer the outstanding question the Nvidia graphics card is able to use audio from a PCI audio card, using the HDMI connection on the Nvidia. It uses the audio through the PCI bus.

Therefore you could have the graphics HDMI provide audio. If you have followed that.

That is why the Nvidia is installed, as part of the download for the graphics card
From your card
Display Support:YesMulti Monitor2560x1600Maximum Digital Resolution2048x1536Maximum VGA ResolutionYesHDCPYesHDMI3Mini HDMI, Two Dual Link DVIStandard Display ConnectorsInternalAudio Input for HDMI1.4aHDMI Version

Here is the ventrilo forum in case you need it again
http://forum.ventril...display.php?f=4