Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing or corrupt hal.dll file XP will not start

• Please log in to reply

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ok - I will try that this evening. Thank you, Macboatmaster.

Advertisements

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I created the CD and put it in the CD drive, and booted the PC from the CD drive. I get a blue screen the says Windows XP Home Edition Setup. It says I can enter setup by hitting Enter, repair a Win XP installation using the Recovery Console by hitting R, or quit by hitting F3. Please tell me what to do from here.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

repair a Win XP installation using the Recovery Console by hitting R,

If the recovery console works it should then recognise your windows installation.
It will ask which Windows installation you wish to repair, you will key the number - very likely 1.

It will ask for a password. This is not your normal windows password it is the password for the admin account created when windows was installed.
Try leaving it blank.
If that does not work try every password you know.

Then if you get into the recovery console start with a
chkdsk /r

command on the prompt.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I was able to get in and run chkdsk. It was still running when I had to leave for work...it has been running for about 40 minutes or so, and it says it's 65% done. I will check it when I get home this evening. I am assuming it will finish running ok. Any next steps?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Cannot possibly say at this time, as it depends what happens AFTER chkdsk.

Exit recovery console, by typing exit and keying enter

Take out CD.
Try to boot to Windows on HDD

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ok. I will do it when I get home tonight and report back...

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
When CHKDSK finished, it said that "CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume." It said that there is 73.29 GB of total disk space and 31.07 GB are available. No other information. I took the CD out and tried to boot from the hard drive...but got the same error message saying that <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DATA secured. - Please ensure you do before we proceed. I am not saying that this will fail, but there is always a chance.

2. check in BIOS that the HARD drive is shown as a boot device in boot priority - that is where you went to change boot device to CD.
Ensure that the second boot priority is the Hard drive with Windows on it.

3. If the answer to the above is YES go back to recovery console and type
  • bootcfg /rebuild
  • Tthat will scan your hard drives for any Windows XP installations and then display the results. Follow the remaining steps to add your Windows XP installation to the boot.ini file.
  • The first prompt asks Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All).

Type Y in response to this question and press Enter.
  • The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier:.

This is the name of the operating system. For example, type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition and press Enter.
  • The final prompt asks you to Enter OS Load options:.

Type /Fastdetect here and press Enter.
  • Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Just to be clear, in 2) above, I should have the CD drive as 1st boot priority, and the hard drive with Windows on it as 2nd priority, correct?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes that is correct.

Advertisements

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I performed the tasks you outlined, and the PC booted successfully from the hard drive! I haven't done anything other than update the Norton Security...it says that everything is protected... Please let me know what, if anything, I should do from here. As I was preparing to boot from the hard drive, it told me that I have Windows installed on both of the hard drives...which I found curious. Also, it asked me if I wanted to boot with Windows XP Home Edition (which is what I had entered a step or two before), or some other very odd operating system name...I don't remember what it was, but it wasn't Windows...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I performed the tasks you outlined, and the PC booted successfully from the hard drive

I bet you heaved a sigh of relief - did you not.?

Well done at following the instructions, both for the making of the Cd`s and the commands.

I would keep those CD`s the Puppy and the Recovery Console in Wallets so they do not get scratched, one tiny scratch and they will likely not work again.

Now to look at what we have - send me a copy of the boot.ini file please.

Start
Run
Type sysdm.cpl
In system properties window that opens click the advanced tab
Click Settings under the startup and recovery
Then on the system startup click the edit button.

The boot.ini will open in notepad.
Clcik the edit tab click select all
click the edit tab again click copy.
On your reply message right click and paste.

NOTE do not press any key whilst in notepad other than those I have indicated, otherwise you will change the boot.ini in notepad.
After the edit etc, simply close notepad and close all windows.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I did indeed breathe a sigh of relief...well done, Macboatmaster, for walking me through those steps...and from across the world in Wales no less. Technology is an amazing thing. I will keep those two discs protected as you've advised. Anyway, here is the copy of the contents of the boot.ini file

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition" Fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal" /fastdetect

Hmmm...I am not sure what the "Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal" would be...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
'Whistler Personal' was the name given to XP home when it was in development.

Some early HP computers were loaded with Windows Whistler and then, XP Home when they were sold.

Although care is needed, as it may be that HP have put the recovery system on a partition of the hard drive.

It has become visible because of the instruction bootcfg /rebuild in recovery console.

In all honesty - I do not actually know, what is on Whistler, but there is a way of finding out before we proceed.

Please go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management in the left pane and when that loads please post the details of what is shown in respect of C drive, which will be 0 in the lower window.

Your external drive and your CD drive will also be shown but you do not need to send details of those.

After you have done that we will edit your boot.ini to load just the XP Home at startup

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ok, here you go. I tried to take a screenshot of the Computer Management screen, but I had trouble attaching the image...it wouldn't let me upload a file with the image in it, either. There isn't that much data, so I will just type what it says:

On the left side of the screen, it says:
Disk 0
Basic
74.55 GB

There are two entries for this disk:
HP_Recovery
4.66 GB FAT32
Healthy (EISA Configuration)

and,
HP_Pavilion (C:)
69.89 GB NTFS
Healthy (System)