Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or corrupt hal.dll file XP will not start

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You need to follow this step carefully

Please go back to boot.ini and open that file again in notepad and then follow these instructions.

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini
  • Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. -or- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  • On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  • Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
  • In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
  • Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the context menu, and then click Folder.
  • Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
  • Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.
Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file:
  • Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. -or- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  • On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  • Under System Startup, click Edit.
YOU THEN DELETE the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal" /fastdetect

please be careful that you do not delete beyond the m of multi.

HOWEVER you need to then make another change

Look carefully at your post 28. Note the difference between the /fastdetect on the line you are deleting.

AND the Fastdetect on the line above.

You need to change that Fastdetect to the /fastdetect - as the / is missing.

If you feel unhappy doing ALL of this, then you will note that the default system is the partition 2 - in your boot.ini -on your post 28, so it will boot to that by default.

If you wish to make that quicker = change the timeout value - which is the number of seconds it takes to boot to the default from 20 to 5.

THIS TIME after editing you simply click the File tab and exit.

A message will appear telling you that boot.ini has been changed and asking if you wish to save the changes. Click YES.

DO NOT THEN shut down.

Click Edit again and CHECK once more that you have it correct.

This time when you click exit you will not have made any changes - hopefully, so the message will not appear.

When you then reboot, you will go straight to Windows.

So if it helps your new boot.ini will be

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Advertisements

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ok. I made all of the changes you listed, and I then rebooted. Windows started successfully, and I then went to check the boot.ini file. It looks EXACTLY as you have listed at the bottom of your last post (with the exception that I did change the timeout value to 5...every second counts with this old machine), so I would say I did everything correctly. So far, so good - what's next? ...and thank you again...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It will not make any difference as the timeout only applies to period of the boot option on dual boot.

However leave it. No importance.

You did well there.
Many people, not used to doing such, chicken out at that stage and leave it and then just select.the O/S to start

As to whats next, give me 30 mins. Just said goodbye to a visitor.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. What size is that external drive and how much free space. Also what make is it.

2. What size and free space is on the OTHER internal drive.

3. What programs - NOT your personal data are on this computer that you do not have the installation media for and you would NOT want to lose.

4. chkdsk - run it NOW from a cmd prompt.
Start, run and type cmd

When the window opens, type at the prompt CD/ and key enter

YOU should now have just a C:\ prompt
type chkdsk /r and key enter
Agree message to run on restart.
Type exit key enter
RESTART
Five stage check please do not interrupt it.

When it completes go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.
On the left pane click application.
On the main window scroll down from the top to the first Winlogon entry
Double click to open it.
Verify it is the chkdsk results.

Left click once on the double page symbol to the right of the window below the UP and Down arrows.
On your reply panel right click - paste, the results will appear.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
1) External HD is 232GB...52% free...122GB. The brand is Western Digital. I know there are many GB of duplicate backup data on this drive...I saved all of the files from the internal drives here when we were recovering data, but did not clean up the old data which was already there.

2) 2nd internal hard drive is 230GB (two partitions at 115GB each). One partition is 46% free and the other is 99% free...so about 170GB total free space there.

3) The only real personal software that I would be afraid of losing is a Microsoft Office 2003 UPGRADE...since it's an upgrade, I would be nervous that it would not load if there weren't another version of Office on the hard drive. I have the upgrade disk...I would need to make sure that I can find the security key. I get Norton from my ISP...replacing that software is sometimes a pain...they most often make me create a new email address, because once you load it, it won't load to the same address a second time. I'd need to make a list of all of the other programs that I have, so I'd remember what to reload. I have a handful that I do have the disks for, and the rest I would just have to download...IE, Mozilla, iTunes, Adobe, Quick Time, etc. Basically not much -- old computer means no space for lots of software.

4) I am about to run chkdsk. I will repost with those results, but I wanted to send the info for what I've completed. I see you tried to test me, though. You said to type CD/ from the command prompt, but that didn't give me a C: prompt...I figured out that I needed to type CD C:\...I was pretty proud of myself, so I thought I'd let you know of that small accomplishment... :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

type CD/ from the command prompt,

You did well it is sometimes cd\ the other slash. and that will go back to C
cd is change directory - from the days of Dos - which was the system when I started messing around with computers. Then I had, at great expense, a 25 Mb HDD and Windows 3.1. I think it was.

Anyway to the job in hand

Re C drive - as that drive is Maxtor now Seagate) and the external is WD you have a choice.
NOTE please check - it is MAXTOR - if not use WD below
Both are free.
Either use WD Acronis
or Seagate Disk Wizard.

Create a complete IMAGE - Clone of your C drive.
Then you have a backup which you can transfer at anytime if this happens again and you cannot get back in - to either that drive OR a new HDD if that is what is required.

LINK to WD
http://support.wdc.c...il.asp?swid=119
Download and User Manual on separate PDF download.
Do not be annoyed - you seem pretty clued up - but download that pdf and read it, the Acronis has many features.

LINK to Seagate
http://www.seagate.c...oads/discwizard
Same note applies.

Even if your drive proves to have no evidence of failing - although I think it may have - you can still benefically use one of these.
Then if disaster strikes, it is not complete disaster, as even your programs will still run.

As to any changes by way of personal files you can back these up of course with a simple copy

I will wait for the chkdsk results

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have started another so that it is clear for you rather than including it in the last

http://h10025.www1.h...7045&lc=en#N158

YOUR computer specs.

As you said 512 MB ram.
Your computer will be continually using hard drive space as ram.

My best advice - depending on if you wish top spend the relatively small cost is upgrade the ram.

You may well have two sticks of 256Mb, so you will not, I think,. have a spare slot.
Go here, although of course you do not have to buy from here.
Capacity I think, I have not checked will be 2Gb
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

It will be better for the computer and a lot better for performance, if you upgrade the ram.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I had very little experience with Dos before Windows came out...but I do vaguely remember change directory and a few other commands... Anyway, here are the chkdsk results.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/25/2011
Time: 4:12:53 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DOHR-W92P4BHLZG
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is HP_PAVILION.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 7 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

73286639 KB total disk space.
42800572 KB in 104634 files.
36108 KB in 15401 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
214283 KB in use by the system.
54528 KB occupied by the log file.
30235676 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
18321659 total allocation units on disk.
7558919 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
d0 4f 02 00 ef d4 01 00 67 76 02 00 00 00 00 00 .O......gv......
6f 01 00 00 02 00 00 00 e4 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 o...............
a2 59 c2 14 00 00 00 00 a0 b9 5b 77 00 00 00 00 .Y........[w....
96 0c f5 26 00 00 00 00 86 a8 fe 44 06 00 00 00 ...&.......D....
72 b6 60 4b 03 00 00 00 76 57 c8 4b 0a 00 00 00 r.`K....vW.K....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 b8 3a 07 00 ba 98 01 00 ..6......:......
00 00 00 00 00 f0 56 34 0a 00 00 00 29 3c 00 00 ......V4....)<..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

I read your last two posts quickly...they didn't make complete sense so I read them again, trying to understand what you are asking me to do. Here's what I gathered quickly...it seems you want me to see if the manufacturer of the C drive is Maxtor (now Seagate)...I think I can figure out how to do that... I think I'm reading that you want me to create a clone of the C drive, but I'm not clear about where you want me to create it...is a clone similar to a restore point? You talked about the C drive and the WD (external HD)...but I guess I wonder why you were NOT talking about the manufacturer of the D drive as well (I have the 80GB C drive, a ~230GB D drive (partitioned) and the ~250GB external WD drive). I think you are telling me to pick a drive and read the user manual for that drive to learn how to create a clone of the C drive...is that right? Is Acronis the model of the WD external HD? On a related note - a side note reminder - I still wonder why the PC says that there is a 2nd version of Windows on the D drive...

On to your last post...thank you for the specs. They look accurate...and I remember many of these software programs that were on the original unit when I bought it. I will look into the link you included to consider buying more RAM, and how much that would cost. I assume that site will help me understand what KIND of RAM I would need. I see clearly how additional RAM will help, but I also wonder if the video card and the other hardware will just bubble to the top as sorely out of date and create other issues. Depending on the cost of the RAM, I may just need to go spend a few hundred dollars more and get a new machine...with Windows 7 and a full suite of current hardware devices as well. I've been putting that off for years, really. It seems much overdue - I guess we'll see.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
When I go to My Computer> right click on C:> Properties> Hardware tab, it tells me that my C: drive is a Samsung SV8004H, my D drive is a Western Digital WD2500JB-00GVA0, and interestingly, my external HD is a Western Digital WD2500JB as well (it is a MyBook product). I see that you included a link to the Seagate site, but I don't see that you included one for WD...

Aside from that, I looked at the Crucial site and scanned for RAM...looks like about $90 to get me 2GB of RAM, including tax and shipping. I will give that some serious consideration as I move forward.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I think I'm reading that you want me to create a clone of the C drive, but I'm not clear about where you want me to create it...is a clone similar to a restore point?

See my item 4 below please.

1. Your chkdsk results are OK. There is no evidence of bad sectors or any indication of file problems.

The earlier chkdsk result

When CHKDSK finished, it said that "CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume

and the original problem of the hal error, fixed by running boot.cfg rebuild could well have been indicative of hard drive errors caused by bad sectors.

That is why I advised the second chkdsk on my post 34.
2. The link to WD is there now. Do not know how I missed that. However you passed the test :lol:

3. Memory - it would improve it, you could always purchase 1Gb and leave one 256 in if that is what it says you have -ie: two x 256Mb. Therefore you would have 2.5 times what you have now.
You do not of course have to buy from Crucial.
It is just a handy way of finding what you have and what you may put in.
If you do upgrade there is a link on the Crucial site as to HOW to do it.
ANTI-STATIC precautions are the important aspect.
and there is a guide to YOUR computer on the HP link I have sent

4.NO a complete image is NOT the same as a restore point.
HOWEVER the important point is this.
If you had this error AGAIN and you cannot get to a system restore point - you cannot use it.
There is a way of accessing system restore from the recovery console.
However system restore does not cure all errors.

and more importantly, if the error, whatever it is, cannot be repaired, using any means you have available, and your only OPTION is a format and reinstall using your set of discs - then you have without a full image back-up, lost everything, except the
software that is included on those recovery discs.

It maybe, that the recovery discs, include the option of what is known as a soft recovery, that will in effect be similar to a repair installation of XP if you were using the Microsoft XP CD. Basically Windows is reinstalled and all your data and programs left intact.

The Western Digital Acronis is FREE and you already have the drive capacity on your external drive to create the full image.
In my opinion it is an excellent move.

5. Finally I do not remember seeing any evidence of Windows on D drive.
The two windows installations in your boot.ini before we edited it were on C drive.

From your post - of your boot.ini prior to edit.
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition" Fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal" /fastdetect

The recovery partition installed by HP is hidden in normal use

HP_Recovery
4.66 GB FAT32
Healthy (EISA Configuration)

and if it was EVER used - this is how
Starting a Recovery
Turn on the computer and immediately begin pressing the F10 key repeatedly until a Recovery Screen appears.You can also start a recovery from recovery discs, or from Windows. For more information refer to Performing a Full System Recovery in Windows XP .
See this, there is quite a lot to it.
http://h10025.www1.h....n&product=7101

Advertisements

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
OK - so I'm thinking that I will create a clone on my 2nd internal hard drive (the D drive)...probably on the partition that it empty. That drive is a WD, so I would use WD Acronis...and I need to read the manual to understand how to do that. Please confirm that I have it straight, and that this is what you are telling me to do. I will probably take my time to step carefully through it, so it may take a day.

I will think more about the additional RAM...probably decide in the next week or so.

Thank you for the clarification on the difference between restore points and clones. It makes complete sense - I just don't know much about computers. I'm a technical guy (engineer), so I can understand it when someone who knows explains it to me.

Lastly, I ran a scan of my D: drive using a piece of freeware named Tree Size Free...I got it from a previous posting on G2G, so you probably know of it... Anyway, it shows a Windows directory, complete with System32 folder and all, and the size of that Windows directory is just over 1200MB. I'm thinking that the Recovery Disks that I used ended up saving the original version of Windows on that drive, for some reason.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your decision.
I would put it on the external drive, but if you wish to be doubly sure, you can put it there as well.

There is a maxim, data you not have two backups of is data you do not care about.

Re Windows on D Drive - I do not know, but it has not gone on there from anything I have done with you. I think I am right in saying that you used those discs before my involvement. Please do not take that as being awkward in anyway, as I do not know what was on D Drive to start with. Was D Drive a boot device in BIOS.

The way to find out is if you wish
BIOS
set D drive as first boot device in boot priority

Make C drive second boot device.

If Windows loads, on D drive, then you have indeed done what you opined.

OR simply whilst in C drive Windows, open the Windows folder on D drive and see if under Documents and settings you have User accounts and any personal data

I do NOT advice the uninstall of Windows on D Drive until you have assured your self exactly what is in there.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
jdohr

Would you kindly post indicating if I may consider all your issues have now been resolved.

Apart from the possibility of you increasing the ram and organising your backups.

In otherwords, am I correct that those two issues aside, you have no problems with the running of the computer at present.

Thank you.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I'm sorry, Macboatmaster. I've been trying to find time to read through the WD manual to figure out how to create that clone of my C: drive, and I just have not made time. I really want to finish this...I just have had some rather serious family issues this last week. I will try to get this done by this weekend. I do not have a good understanding of how many hours it will take me...I'm hoping that I can figure it out in a few hours. Also, I'm not sure if you have further steps that you want me to do after I create the clone...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks will wait to hear from you.

I could type out here every one of the instructions for creating the completing image of your hard drive. -clone
However that is an awful lot of typing - and at the end of the day I would really only be saying what is said in the manual.