Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to log off, restart, or shut down Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

ahboy123

ahboy123

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi

My computer facing problems resembling a virus attack over the past week or two but I m not sure.
The machine is a Dell XPS Intel i7-Q740 1.73 GHz running on a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Bit

Symptoms:
- Noticeably high CPU usage - 2.79 GHz (usually below 1.99 GHz)
- Unable to log off, restart, or shut down computer.
- Computer stopped questioning my Administrative rights over it. I downloading more powerful antivirus to try kill the problem. ie: ESET online scanner but the window that usually ask me for my admin password cant be called when I m installing the scanner.

I scanned the computer using McAfee Security Center (paid version) and Spybot Search and Destroy after I've updated them, but both scanners claimed the computer is clean.

Opinion:
- I've downloaded a few software to attempt to mount iso files on my computer, such as MagicISO, PowerISO 8, Mikinho Mount Image v1.9 and Virtual Clone Drive v5.4.5. All but VIrtual Clone Drive v5.4.5 failed so I uninstalled them immediately after I installed them. Some of the software required rebooting to complete installation. I m suspecting a virus could have entered the computer when I was downloading the software.

I haven't shut down my computer since the day it stopped me from doing so, as I was told forcing a shut down by pulling the plug would damage the machine. I love my computer but I am running out of ideas to solve this problem. Please advice. ^^'

Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi ahboy123
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread. If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will look at other possible causes and solutions.

ahboy123

ahboy123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Thank you so much for answering to me early. I followed your 5-step suggestion. However, it seems that the malware is stronger than I thought. I downloaded OTL but I can't run it. When I double click OTL application icon, it takes forever to load. And when I thought I can bypass the malware by calling Task Manager and create New Task for OTL, something freezes Task Manager and now I can't control or close the Task Manager, the Window where I put the OTL application icon and the Start button. My computer responded when only a chime every time I click on them.

By the way, I looked into the process tab in the Task Manager before it freezes over and I notice about 5 consent.exe processes I've never seen before. And the only way to rest my computer is hibernating it. Poor thing. Is there still a chance for my computer to recover?

Edited by ahboy123, 13 November 2011 - 12:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi again ahboy123, I am sorry but I cannot add anything further until your suspected malware issue is cleared up.
Please re-read post #2 if you are sure it is a malware issue then seek assistance on the Malware Forum.
Good luck but if after you get the all clear from the Malware Techs the issue is not resolved please return here and we will look at other possible causes and their solutions.

ahboy123

ahboy123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi phillpower2,

I'm still working on the Malware problem under guidance of experts in the Malware forum. The situation seems to be in good hands. I'll let you know once the problem is solved. Thanks.

~ahboy123

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi ahboy123
Thanks for the update and yes you are in very capable hands :yes:

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
You should have tried to restore your computer to an earlier time by using System Restore.

ahboy123

ahboy123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi sadman1996,

Thank you for your concern. I'm working on the repair procedures as advised by the Malware forum. I hope that this experience would be helpful to my friends and me if reformatting the computer isn't an option. But I couldn't help but wonder if System Restore would "restore" virus/malware infected damage. I was told that System Restore would not change certain files and folders and these files and folders could contain the culprit, couldn't it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi ahboy123
Correct approacn and good advice! Only the Malware Techs deal with malware :thumbsup:

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Hi sadman1996,

Thank you for your concern. I'm working on the repair procedures as advised by the Malware forum. I hope that this experience would be helpful to my friends and me if reformatting the computer isn't an option. But I couldn't help but wonder if System Restore would "restore" virus/malware infected damage. I was told that System Restore would not change certain files and folders and these files and folders could contain the culprit, couldn't it?

Hmmm. You are right. But if it happened to me, I would try the easiest possible ways first then contact the Malware Forum. If it can be solved through restoration, then why I will goto Malware advises, isn't it AHBOY?
But still, In your case, the best way is to keep listening to the Malware techs. Because the malware spread in your computer is quite critical.

ahboy123

ahboy123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi guys,

The malware forum solved the problem! I'm so happy that my computer is back to normal and I learnt so much about fixing software problems after being hands-on the whole time. The malware forum has very helpful and patient teachers. It turned out that my Adobe program and some other media-related files were infected. I still don't know how it happened but I'm suspecting downloading Virtual CloneDrive across P2P website.

If it helps a fellow learner, here is the malware forum link:
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Thank you guys for listening and helping me being a better computer user.

~ahboy123

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Good News....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi guys,

The malware forum solved the problem! I'm so happy that my computer is back to normal and I learnt so much about fixing software problems after being hands-on the whole time. The malware forum has very helpful and patient teachers. It turned out that my Adobe program and some other media-related files were infected. I still don't know how it happened but I'm suspecting downloading Virtual CloneDrive across P2P website.

If it helps a fellow learner, here is the malware forum link:
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Thank you guys for listening and helping me being a better computer user.

~ahboy123

Thank you for the follow up ahboy123 we are pleased that the Malware Tech has guided you through the cleaning process successfully.

For others with the same or a similar issue do not reply to this topic but first read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs.

EDIT: For future reference avoid P2P and torrents at all costs.

Edited by phillpower2, 29 November 2011 - 10:28 AM.