Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Site slow to load on front and back end, times out or cannot connect t

• Please log in to reply

Poochure

Poochure

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi there. I am super frustrated and know very little about servers, or whatever else might possibly be the problem. Actually, overall I am not that tech savvy. I am on shared hosting, 1and1, and woke up today having problems that I have never encountered in the three years that I have owned and operated my websites, which are both hosted on the same server. Both sites are NSFW, or I'd link to them, and having loading issues on the front end, but for what's explained below it's for one.

• On front end, via firefox, page load is soo painfully slow (especially for home page); connection often fails, times out--error message that it could be unable to connect to server
  • slow to load from back end; when editing/updating/navigating from within wordpress either load time is super slow, or connection to server failing error messages crop up
  • While attempting to back up one site onto my hard disk via FTP, Filezilla, it sometimes cannot even navigate into the WP directory; sometimes it connects to the server but loses it, retries, connects, then loses it again.

I do not know really where to begin troubleshooting this. I took a shot in the dark by scanning my computer for malware, and was attempting to back up one site to scan it as well when I encountered all of the FTP issues explained above.

My web host says that everything's honky dory on the server end, and I am kinda waiting for another 'oh you need to upgrade your package' recommendation...to come in the next e-mail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose that it might help for me to mention that every other site I am visiting today loads perfectly fine--even Twitter--HA!

Edited by Poochure, 12 November 2011 - 03:10 PM.

Advertisements

saltedm8

saltedm8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
sounds like they are playing games, I can only suggest you find a better host.. check out reviews about the host first though.. here is a good one, http://innohosting.com/ I have used them in the past and never had a problem

alchemistgm

alchemistgm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It could be that a spam sender is a neighbor on your shared server or has gained access to a site on the server, since it's shared hosting it could be anyone on the same server. It could also be a poorly written script that has run away with the server resources, or someone on the server just got their 15 seconds of fame. :)

Generally it will get noticed and corrected.