Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection is flaky, why?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I am running W7 and connect to the wireless router with an ethernet cable.
My son uses a WXP laptop with a built in wireless adapter.
My wife's WXP computer is downstairs. She was connected with a wireless adapter for several months until this morning.

This morning the wireless adapter showed a good signal, but never connected to the network. After about 10 seconds it showed no signal for about 3 seconds and then showed the good signal for 10 seconds, ad infinitum for eight hours (while I did virus scans).
My computer and my son's were fine the whole time.

I removed the wireless adapter and connected her up with a powerline/ethernet adapter. She was fine then.
I then put her wireless adapter on my computer and disconnected my ethernet cable. I got an excellent and solid connection over her wireless adapter.

So I have shown her computer and the wireless adapter work normally (as well as the wireless router).
What is left that could be a problem?

While the powerline/ethernet adapter is working okay, it means leaving stuff on when the computers are off, and several extra cables in awkward places; I don't like it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yes but if you've used the wireless adaptor in the same room as the router you will get a solid connection and that experiment doesn't prove, well, anything basically. You need to use it on your computer in her room to demonstrate any issue that may or may not exist with the adaptor.