Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canon Pixma MP560 printer

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,
I am asking this question for a good friend who knows little about computers etc.

He has a Canon Pixma MP560 printer.
"Recently, whenever I try and print on gloss or matte paper (I alter the paper type in the Properties as usual), it prints images fine, but any black text or borders, comes out blue. I don't think this is a matter of clogged print heads. If I put gloss or matte paper in the printer and tell it to print on plain paper, it prints OK. Just wondering why it prints blue when I specify the paper I am using as either gloss or matte."

Between us we have established that the cartridges are full and all cleaning operations have been done.

Regards

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know the answer but I am not into photo printing. But I have seen this before on HPs and Epsons so it appears to be a common problem. In researching this before, I have seen causes (excuses?) of using poor quality ink, using a budget printer, using an all-in-one multifunction printing devices instead of a dedicated photo printer, and poor paper. In other words - no one seems to know but higher-end [read: expensive] photo printers (not all-in-ones) seem more immune to these issues.

One explanation that did make sense to me is that many printers, when printing color photos, make black by mixing the other colors rather than using the black ink. This results in blacks that are not so black. You could see if this is your problem by telling the printer to print in black and white only and see if the blacks are blue. If the blacks are nice and black, then it might be time to invest in a serious color printer, and use this Cannon multifunction printing device for normal office functions.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi Digerati,
I gave him your answer and in reply he said that he pulled out all the inks and put them back in.

Now it seems all is well. My guess is someting to do with the electronic readers(?) on the back of each cartridge?
Regards

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My guess is someting to do with the electronic readers(?) on the back of each cartridge?

I guess that's as good a guess as any though I am not sure the paper-type sensor is a part of the ink cartridge. Any way, I am glad that worked and thanks for the followup.