Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Thank you all for your help. Spurred on by your suggestions, I FOUND and deleted files I never realized (or forgot) I had. The big ones were music and audio book files that I recorded years and years ago. Whereas I used to have 2+GB free (out of 33.8GB) on my c:drive, I now have 6.83GB free.

I will now defrag the C:drive and see whether my mouse pointer hangups stop. If so, I will confirm that my problem is fixed and will so report.

I am really grateful for your patience and advice.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am pleased my suggestion has helped.
However most of the work on this thread was done by my colleague zep516. - I saw this, quoted below and thank you for the appreciation.

Thank you all for your help

Returning to my last post - Please do deal with that issue when you get chance, you have not commented on that aspect of my post - that is my post 15. This was your other thread which I helped on - the JPEG problem.

Macboatmaster and others: Thank you all for your suggestions. I am still in the process of working through them (more late than usual because of some illness in family).
I will be reporting on how I resolve my problem when I do so. ..Batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
zep516, rockmilk, boatmaster: FYI, I have had no cursor freezes since regaining more free space on my c-drive. I believe my problem has been solved. Thank you for all your hand-holding. ..batpark

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
There are still a couple of things that I see which can speed your pc up if you wish!

Hit start button at lower left hand corner of the screen.Then in the run box type services.msc. Find the service listed below,one at a time. left click it once you should have the option to either stop the service or restart it , stop the service then right click selected service select properties then change the startup type to manual then left click apply and move on to the next service.If the service is stopped and the startup type is manual then do nothing.

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\FSL\SuperFinder\SuperFinder.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Hotkey Search Tool\SearchTool.exe

After completing the above task then Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it.If TFC doesnt prompt a reboot then please do so manually
Note: Avast for some reason doesnt like tfc.exe You will need to disable avast prior to running TempFileCleaner.Do not worry it is a legitimate program!

Also I would like to see a start up from ccleaner please.

Edited by rockmilk, 18 November 2011 - 09:20 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Also these programs are great to have and run on your pc on a weekly or bi weekly basis.
http://download.cnet...55d2c852dce8675
http://download.cnet...f443ffd00064328
http://download.cnet...7cc99321bbdfbc5

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Rockmilk:: Thanks for the advice. I tried to download all three. Had no trouble with the Auslogic defragmenter. But when I double clicked the SuperAntiSpyware icon in my Download folder I get this odd "File Conversion SuperAntiSpyware" screen that asks me to "Select ... that makes your ... readable. ......." and a lot of junk-like gibberish. Can you spot what I am doing wrong? Thanks for your patience.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Try this link http://www.superanti...REFREE&rid=3324 Also what about the startup list,and did you disable the services and set them to manual as I suggested?Also Malwarebytes have any problems with that?Make sure to update prior to scanning just dont post any logs from the programs here.I just suggested these for you to have,and run on your pc they are great additions to any pc to clean up spyware and tracking cookies. :)

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi batpark,

Little late here sorry. I can't thank Macboatmaster enough for stepping in for me.
On the SuperAntiSpyware issue, why not download it directly to the desktop from HERE and see what happens there. Look in programs & features an see if SuperAntiSpyware is installed if so uninstall it first.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
zep516

More than pleased to have helped.
I think Batpark already has TFC from YOUR earlier post

Download TFC by OldTimer http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe to your desktop.

so he will not need to follow this from post 19

After completing the above task then Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe

unless of course he uninstalled it after using it the first time.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
rockmilk: Re your advice re Run services.msc and the items that operation shows:

1. I see an entry iPod.service (but not C:\Program Files\iPod\ipodservice.exe, as on your listing). Is that the one you want me to “work” on?

2. Many (most) of the items on your list do not appear in the listing I bring up by
Run services.msc – including:
C:\Program Files\Tunes\iTunesHelper
C:\Program Files LVCOMSX>EXE
C:\Program Files\FSL\SuperFinder\ SuperFinder.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\ SetPoint.exe
…..
…..
C:\Program Files\Hotkey Search Tool\ SearchTool.exe

What am I missing here?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
batpark

The important question is:

Is the computer now running to your satisfaction. Are you happy with it.

OR is the startup to loading Windows like watching grass grow

Generally speaking, entering services in the Management Console and tweaking those services gains very little if anything and stands the chance of causing problems.

Many services have dependencies. The service itself is dependant on others and/or other services depend on that service.
This is not immediately apparent to you, unless you have enough knowledge to look at those dependencies.

As I said, the important question is - HOW do YOU feel it is running.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
jaydeee

Looks OK to me

WHAT looks OK to you may I ask.?

Additionally we at GeekstoGo do NOT recommend using the link you have included, or indeed any other link which provides an anutomatic scan and driver install.
They often install the wrong driver,

Drivers should only EVER be obtained from either the manufacturers site in the case of a branded computer ie: Dell HP etc.
or the manufacturers site for the hardware if it is a generic build or an OEM with add-on hardware.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hit start button at lower left hand corner of the screen.Then in the run box type services.msc. Find the service listed below,one at a time. left click it once you should have the option to either stop the service or restart it , stop the service then right click selected service select properties then change the startup type to manual then left click apply and move on to the next service.If the service is stopped and the startup type is manual then do nothing.

C:\Program Files\Tunes\iTunesHelper
C:\Program Files LVCOMSX>EXE
C:\Program Files\FSL\SuperFinder\ SuperFinder.exe
C:\Program Files\Hotkey Search Tool\ SearchTool.exe

Reboot your pc after completing the above task.

Edited by rockmilk, 23 November 2011 - 06:19 PM.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
rockmilk: Re your post #29 of today: Thanks.

As I indicated in my Post #25 of 11-19-11 I was unable to find any of the files you described when I did a Run of services.msc, per your advice of Post 18 of 11-18-11.

After receiving your post #29 today I retried running services.msc and again could not locate any of the files you told me to look for. Can you see where I am going wrong?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
batpark
Please see my post 26