Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm stepping in here for a second guys.
batpark how is the system running now compared to when you started this topic?
If there are any issues please specify them exactly so that everyone can be together as it looks like you are being given several steps at one time and getting everyone on the same page would really help. Your following really good but II think there is some confusion on how the system is responding now.
Has the original issue been resolved or is there more to be done?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
After receiving your post #29 today I retried running services.msc and again could not locate any of the files you told me to look for. Can you see where I am going wrong?

What is listed?

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
rockmilk, rshaffer61, macboatmaster, zep516: Re your general questions: Before I started this thread my cursor would freeze very often and would stay frozen, requiring me to reboot. Now (after regaining C:\ drive free space) the interval bewtwee freezes is much longer (now it happens maybe three or four times per hour) and most times the cursor unfreezes with three or four seconds. But, sometimes (every hour or so) it still freezes and stays frozen, requiring a reboot.

Do I believe the system could work more smoothly (and respond faster when I change URLs)? Yes

Am I satisfied with my current performance? Yes. Like my old Briggs and Stratton 2-cycle lawn mower, it gets the job done, even if I have to crank it again and again.

Would I be delighted if someone spotted the bug (if it is one) causing the problem? Yes, of course.

But do I want to spend a lot of time and effort downloading more programs and maybe causing other problems in the process to search for the bug? No

Re rockmilk’s specific instructions in his last post: attached is a list of the files (services ?) I get by clicking “Run services.msc”. The list does not contain the files rockmilk cited. ???

Let me close by wishing you all a happy Thanksgiving day. Were that my physicians were as collaboratively helpful as all the people I have met here. ….batpark

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just as a suggestion and a matter of curiosity can you please do the following.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please Open your browser
On Internet Explorer, depending on which you have, click the Safety Button on the lower menu bar and then click delete browsing history.

If you KNOW all passwords for any internet sites and your email, then uncheck the top box and check ALL other boxes and then run that.

If you use Firefox click Tools, Clear Recent history and again if you know the passwords - check all boxes.

IE provides indication of progress. Firefox only provides indication when the button changes colour.

Please post back when you have done that

NB The Moderator - rshaffer61 - has posted.
We posted together
It is best I think you work with ONLY one advisor.
rshaffer61
As you wish - shall I leave it with you.?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

rshaffer61
As you wish - shall I leave it with you.?

No the steps can be done just do one set of instructions at a time. My instructions are for determining the mouse freezing issue. Yours are for the browsers so as long as batpark does one set of instructions first and then lets us know the results then moves on we are ok.
I am not trying to take over as you all are qualified to assist. I'm just adding a new set of eyes and some new steps to correct the slowness.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61
Quite understand - just wanted to ensure that you did not wish to have just ONE member advising rather than Batpark, being presented with not just the two of us, but trying to cope with posts from three or four.

Batpark

After you have cleaned your browsing history and posted the chkdsk results, would you then please return to your browsers and do the following. - UNLESS - Bad sectors are found on chkdsk - if so please wait for further advice

1. On IE click Tools, then click Manage Add-ons - on the left pane, click Toolbars and Extensions.
If you have MANY toolbars, those are the bars at the top of the browser window below the main File Edit - Menu bar, then I advise you to select the ones you do not use or use very infrequently and then at the botom of the screen choose Remove/Delete etc.

On the extensions
which will be mainly what is known as BHO Browser Helper Objects - such as Adobe Reader Link Helper etc. - again if you have many of them -it will be of benefit to select and disable most of the HELPER objects
If you have a doubt as to which just post and I will advise.

2. On the next left pane heading Search Providers - I keep JUST ONE - Google. The reason I choose that is becuase there is the minimum of clutter on the Google screen.
However the choice is yours of course.
I certainly advise that you do NOT have a whole list of them
Again select and REMOVE/Disable as you wish.

3. The next left pane object is Accelerators,
They do exactly what it says - speed up the access to whatever the accelerator is.
HOWEVER the speed gained - you WILL never see.
BUT a whole list of them - does exactly the opposite in the first instance of loading your browser - it slows it down.
They will very likely be Windows LIVE Accelerators, if you do not use Windows Live frequently select and Disable.
Please remember that Windows Live may be connected to your Windows LIve Mail - if you use that.
Therefore do not select REMOVE at this stage.

4. You do not need to concern yourself with In Private Filtering on the left pane.

NOW do the same on Firefox Tools tab and on Firefox = Add-ons.
The headings are slightly different on Firefox
Extensions
Appearance
Plug-ins

However the priciple is the same.

NB
I am signing off - I will be back about 2000hrs. UK time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Batpark

It has been realised by Rockmilk, that there appears to be evidence that you MAY have an infection on your computer.
I stress the word MAY, as only Malware experts can offer advice on this site.

Would you please go to this link

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Read carefully the notes regarding posting in the Malware forum.

When you create your post in Malware, if you do, would you kindly provide a link to this thread, in your opening post, so that the Malware expert can refer easily to what has been done here.

It would be a great help if you could confirm your receipt of this message on this thread.

I advise you NOT to carry on with any stages here, that you have not yet carried out.

Thank you and good luck with it.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
macboatmaster: Re your post #39 of 11-24 ----

1. This will confirm that I received your instructions.

2. "I advise you NOT to carry on with any stages here, that you have not yet carried out." -- I do not understand this point. Would you please clarify?

batpark

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Batpark

1. This will confirm that I received your instructions.

If you are referring to

It would be a great help if you could confirm your receipt of this message on this thread.

I was just asking if you could post - confirmation that you had indeed - seen the post and would go to the Malware forum.

"I advise you NOT to carry on with any stages here, that you have not yet carried out." -- I do not understand this point. Would you please clarify?

It is always best, once we advise you to go to the Malware forum, not to carry on with any general cleanup advice.

and finally if you can provide the link to this forum in your post in malware, that would be helpful.

Please be patient they are very busy.

It has been good to work with you, as I know the others who have helped would say.

Finally Good Luck with it, once you have a clean bill of health, you can of course always come back to this thread.
Indeed if issues remain after the Malware expert has finished, they may recommend that.

Advertisements

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
macboatmaster: macboatmaster: I am in the processs of following your (and rschaffer61's) recent instructions but that may take me some time. I am new at this and want to move cautiously to avoid causing problems.

I will report back on rshaffer61's chkdsk tests shortly. This post concerns running OTM (requested several days ago). Now that I am preparing to submit to the Malware desk, do you still want me to do that scan now? If YES, then see below.

I have downloaded OTM and have an OTM icon on my desktop. Clicking the icon brings up an Avast! screen warning me to run the program in the Avast! sandbox. I say ok and a screen titled “OTM Version 3.2.31.0” appears --- with many, many options (Run Scan;Quick Scan; Scan all users; etc, etc) but with no Help option that explains the options.

Can you please guide me here? Which options should I run? And say again what I am to do with the output of the OTM scan? Thanks.
....batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
rshaffer61: Re your suggestion(Post #35) re doing a check disk:

1. I ran chkdsk /r; rebooted, and completed the 5-stage process.
2. I restarted the pc.
3. I ran eventvwr.msc.
4. I clicked Applications and got the “Event Viewer 1269 events” screen.
I could not find Winlogon on the list
FWIMBW: I did see several dozen entries marked “ Error …. Application Hang"
5. I clicked Action/Save Log File As 1126scan.evt
6. Tried to attach 1126scan.evt here but got the GtG message "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file." -- How come?

Can you please clarify where I should have found the Winlogon file you asked for?

.... batpark

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

this post concerns running OTM

OTM Version 3.2.31.0

- OTL?

Batpark

I apologise if I am wrong, but I cannot find the advice to run OTL on this thread.
If it is there, I have missed it, but it should not be on this thread anyway, as OTL logs are not used in this forum. ONLY in the Malware.
You should certainly NOT do anything with that OTL program, as it requires expert attention

In respect of chkdsk and the results, they will be further down in the next winlogon entry

However PLEASE do as I suggested in my post, 40 and then, explained further in my post 42 when you asked for an explanation.

It is always best, once we advise you to go to the Malware forum, not to carry on with any general cleanup advice.

Having run chkdsk already, if you now want to carry on looking for the results before you go to the Malware forum please do so and post them HERE on this thread.

However please do NOT continue with any other of the advice you received here to generally clean up certain aspects of the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Can you please clarify where I should have found the Winlogon file you asked for?

Not so much worried about the log as I am if chkdsk found and fixt anything while it was running. If it did that you noticed please rerun it. If not then when finished with Mac's suggestion please do the following. I realize you are starting your malware forum but I would like to see this log also to see if there is a particular program or event that keeps happening.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 23 11 2011
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 26 11 2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have started a new post so that you do not have too much to read in one post.

When you click on Application in the left pane..
In the main Window of event viewer across on the right, you will notice that each event has a source name
Click on the heading source and it will put them in alphabetical order.
The you will find the winlogon.
Does this help

• Once Event Viewer is open, select Application
  • The 4th column of information in the right-hand pane is titled Source , click on the word Source at the top of the column to sort by that column
  • Scroll through the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon
  • Double-click Winlogon to open the CHKDSK results

rshaffer61
- typing before your post was visible. Hi.