Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Caishow on my wifes computer [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No let it run for a bit - gives me a chance to review all that has been done so far :lol:

Advertisements

ldstoodley

ldstoodley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have been letting it run for 2 days The cpu is still running very high even with just explorer not all the time but every so often norton advises me it is and it still acts like it uses the hard drive often as it appears to use up all the ram. just like if I have a virus. Can I assume you found somthing in the logs I sent you?
Larry

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
So the main problem now is CPU and RAM usage ?

Does this gradually increase over a period of surfing the web/running programmes or is it when you first boot

ldstoodley

ldstoodley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It appears the caishow is gone so now it looks like a ram problem. Norton will say the explorer is the ram hog one time and something else (media player ) the next time. I let my wife play with the computer for a couple of days and minutes ago ran spybot again it found the following
BurstMedia
CasaleMedia
Doubleclick
Fastclick
Mediaplex
Right Media
Statcounter
WebTrends Live
Zedo
I removed them with spybot I thought there was a program installed that would keep most of that crap from gettig onboard and if so it's not working So now I will run Malwarebytes and norton and see what else if anything I find. I never used to find most of the list above and when I did it was one or two at the most. I let the wife play with my other computer a windows 7 and it seldom finds junk like the list above and she goes to the same places on that machine that she goes on hers. To me thats confusing.
Can you suggest another program to help in blocking some of this type of stuff?
Thank you for listening to me and all the help you have provided me so far
Larry

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Were the removals cookies ? If so they are of no real import

What you need to do is set IE to delete browsing history on exit then they will not accumulate

Go to control panel > Internet options
Select the advanced tab
Scroll down to security
place a tick in the box noted

It might be worth reducing some of the programmes that start with the compuiter that are unessential... We could try that if you wish

ldstoodley

ldstoodley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Honestley I didn't look to see if they were cookies or not.If you are willing to offer me advice on the start list I would be willing to look into shutting some stuff down. I did check the box you suggested
Larry

Edited by ldstoodley, 17 December 2011 - 10:01 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets now disable some elements from start up - safely

Download and install Revo Uninstaller free from here

Start the programme and select tools
Then select Autoruns manager
Within this section remove the ticks from the following

[AlwaysReady Power Message APP]
[APSDaemon]
[DISCover]
[DiscUpdateManager]
[NvCplDaemon]
[NvMediaCenter]
[nwiz]
[PCDrProfiler]
[Recguard]
[Messenger (Yahoo!)]
ERUNT AutoBackup
MyWeather Desktop

If you decide that you do want them to run then just replace the ticks... Let me know if that helps

ldstoodley

ldstoodley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok done but just so you know when I clicked the link for that program on your page It didn't work so I Binged the name and downloaded it from the site will let you know if it makes a difference
Larry

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ah OK I see why I have a double HTTP :blush:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements