Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer broke?

• Please log in to reply

techn00b

techn00b

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all im new to this forum so forgive me if i havent included enough info but this is the gist of it.

I was playing BF3 on my PC last night when i heard a loud click/pop and it lost all power. I thought it had over heated so i left it over night and have tried to boot up this morning. IVe tried 2 different plugs in case it was the fuse but it still wont boot up. Im assuming its the power unit but i wanted to get some advice before i shell out £100+.

Many thanks

David

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say your suspicions are correct with your description. :)
Can you give us the specs on your system and power supply please.

Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue
  • Power Supply make and model

techn00b

techn00b

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its a desktop,
It is a custom build, the motherboard is a MSI (i think this is a model number) 686 AMIBIOS VZ973959.
4GB RAM
500GB HDD with approx 250GB spare
The power supply is a Win Power EA4G-850
So far ive only tried different plugs. Didnt want to start opening stuff up as i wouldnt have a clue where to start or what to do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By your description I am inclined to say your PSU shorted out. The only way to really know is to either take the PSU out and have a shop test it or try a different PSU.

techn00b

techn00b

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there a particular one you would recommend or should i just try and find the same one?

The prices ive been looking at are around the £30-£120 mark and im not to sure which is best.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm partial to Corsair myself as thye have always proved to be reliable and very stable. This one HERE even though it is 100 watts less should be able to do everything you need it to do. Pay close attention to the types of connections it or any PSU you decide on has. You don't want one that won't have enough for the present and any future upgrades you may do. :)

techn00b

techn00b

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Brill thanks very much for all the advice

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I'm glad to be of help. Please let me know if there is any more information you need. Also please update us on the final resolution if you would. :)