Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Supply High Pitched Noise

• Please log in to reply

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi there everyone,

I am in a quandary here. I recently posted a topic regarding a high pitched noise coming from my hard drive... Which I thought was this issue, however, I was wrong.

So, with that, I am back again to restate my problem knowing full well what it is now.

I just got done putting my computer together less than a month ago... Everything I purchased was brand new from www.newegg.com.

Anyway, the high pitched noise that I am hearing is definitely coming from my Power Supply Unit.

Which is a:

1.) CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W --- Corsair PSU

However, here is why I am stumped. I have used several Power supply calculators, and according to them the 850 wats of power that this unit gives is plenty for my system.

Also, the PSU does not make the high pitched noise when I am starting my computer up (Or when I am in BIOS). It only begins once I am at the Windows login screen, and inside of Windows.

In addition to this, I read some other forums regarding this issue and followed some of the provided steps to narrow down the issue (Of whether the PSU is faulty or not) and one of the

tips given told me to enter into Windows Safe mode w/ networking, and see if the PSU made the noise there.

Well, upon testing this for myself.. Once I was in Windows Safe mode w/ networking I could not hear the PSU making the noise that I have been hearing all along..

This leads me to believe that the PSU unit itself isn't faulty, but instead, that there is something in Windows (Normal Mode) that is causing this issue to arise.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or helpful comments regarding this topic I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance,

- Bas

Edited by Basmastersix, 14 November 2011 - 10:48 PM.

Advertisements

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
In addition to the information provided above... The noise goes away when the system is under a decent load.. An example of this is when I am in Battlefield 3 with maxed out settings.

Also I figured for reference you may want to know my system specs, they are as follows:

- Windows 7 64 Bit
- Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO --- Motherboard Link
- Hard Drive (Storage Only): Western Digital VelociRaptor --- Hard Drive Link
- Solid State Drive (OS / Battlefield 3 only): OCZ Vertex 2 --- Solid State Drive Link
- CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Sandy Bridge --- CPU Link
- GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 --- GPU Link
- Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB --- Memory Link

And of course:

- Power Supply Unit: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W --- PSU Link

Thanks in advance,

- Bas

Edited by Basmastersix, 14 November 2011 - 11:00 PM.

pipeman

pipeman

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I found this link that will give you a few things to try. Another Idea is to stop the PSU fan(s) from running to see if the noise is coming from there.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey Pipeman,

Thank you so much for the advice! When I get home tonight, I will re-read the link you provided and test what they recommended.

I will then post results back here.

- Bas

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey guys,

Well I just followed the steps in the link that Pipeman provided.

- I updated my GTX 570 to the latest drivers.
- I disabled C1E in the BIOS.
- I disabled EIST in the BIOS.
- I disabled a feature called EPU that is integrated into this motherboard (Which is a power saving feature).

With that, the whine is still there (not AS prominent.. But still there none the less).

Also, I was in the BIOS for about 30 minutes trolling around trying to look for the items listed above, and other features that were similar to them. During this time the Power Supply Unit ran as silent as a mouse. Just

the sound of the fan running normally could be heard. (No whining).

In addition to this, I have noticed that when something is being read or written to the hard drive(s) the noise goes away. To test this I used the latest version of CCleaner and performed a "Drive Wipe" using the highest

setting, "Very Complex Overwrite -- 35 Passes" (AKA Gutmann).

So, that brings up another issue to this topic. Do you think that the Solid State Drive or Western Digital HDD and the power going to them (or something of the sort) is the cause of the problem?

And I am still so confused about the fact of when I am in BIOS or in Windows Safe Mode... The noise is not there!

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

- Bas

Edited by Basmastersix, 15 November 2011 - 10:25 PM.

pipeman

pipeman

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Is there some kind of power saving program, or performance mode program, running in the background when windows is started in normal mode? Make sure you check the system tray. If there is, try shutting it down and see if it makes a difference.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey Pipeman,

After a day of hassling with Newegg & Corsair... It appears that the noise is simply due to a faulty coil. And according to the Corsair Technical Support... Sitting idle in Windows (or a

very light load... IE: Browsing the Internet / Word processing) was just enough to make this particular PSU whine and drive me nuts.

So with that, I am going to RMA the power supply unit back to Corsair in the following days.

In addition, I would like to personally thank you for the support and tips you gave me.

And look forward to seeing you more around the forums!

- Bas

Edited by Basmastersix, 16 November 2011 - 10:17 PM.

pipeman

pipeman

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Bas,

You are welcome. I'm always glad to help. Thank you for the kind words, and thank you for posting the final result of your problem.