Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP pro black screen then continuous boot loop.

• Please log in to reply

makena

makena

• Pip
  • 1 posts
XP pro Black screen then continuous boot loop.

It started last night when I noticed that my volume control icon was missing from the task bar on the bottom right side of the screen. So, i decided to reboot my computer and thats when my adventure started. The reboot was going as normal. I saw my ASUS P5B-E mother board flash screen, my bios flash and CD/DVD optiarc install screen, then it went to a black screen with a blinking cursor. After looking on the net for some time, I found some guidance saying to load the XP disk and run disk repair "r". That did not work so I did the following:

chkdsk
fixboot
fixmbr

I then exited and rebooted without the disk.

After completing the above steps, I no longer get the black screen and I finally get to the WindowXP pro flash screen. However, from there I get into a reboot loop. After a couple of loops, I get a "secondary master hard disk error. Press F1 to continue". AFter pressing F1, i get the error again.

I'm running XP pro on a dual 2.4.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Makena

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello user,

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe (You might have to confirm admin rights if you're running this on Vista or above.)
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to add extra files. Please add:
    [code-x]C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe[/code-x]
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC, Please do so.
    Note; Click on the Burn button before inserting a disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd ExtraFiles
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.