Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Won't Power On -- No fans No lights, Nothing...

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
So my HP A1312n desktop PC will not turn on at all.

- I've cleaned the entire motherboard of dust, and reconnected all the cables
- I tried a different power cord
- I tried a different outlet
- I bought a new power supply , still nothing is working

The only thing Im thinking now is maybe the thermal compound paste is worn on the CPU -- t looks a little worn and im going to go and get some to apply to it but I was wondering if thats even a legit reason for why it won't turn on

And If thats not it, the only thing to look at replacing now is the motherboard right ?

Just looking for some advice before i start spending money to fix it, Thanks for reading

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

The only thing Im thinking now is maybe the thermal compound paste is worn on the CPU

Thermal interface material (TIM) does not wear out. Nor does it go bad, unless the cured bond is broken by the user removing the heatsink fan assembly, or the computer was physically abused (dropped, kicked or knocked over).

A new PSU would have been my first suggestion. But since you tried that, then it points to the CPU or motherboard, or both. Any beeps?

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
No beeps , nothing, as if the power cord wasnt plugged in.

Not sure what I should do next. Should I try replacing the processor ?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Inspect the interior to make sure all your power connections are correct and securely fastened. Note most motherboards today require 2 (or sometimes 3) separate power connections. Check the two wires from the front panel power switch to make sure they are still correctly fastened to the correct pins on motherboard's front panel I/O header (set of pins).

I am assuming it was all working fine one day, then the next day, nothing - right? Or were changes made and it stopped working after that?

You might try disconnecting all drives, all but one stick of RAM, and any external devices (printers, external drives, card readers) not needed then boot. If still nothing, then if me, I would try another CPU - but I have spare CPUs laying around. Most users don't. So at this point, a trip to a shop may be in order.

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Maybe the computer case's on/off boot-up button is not working?

PS edit - You could try removing the case's 2 pin on/off connector from the mobo and (very carefully not to touch anything else) short the pins with a screwdriver. If the mobo boots, the button is the problem and needs replacing. To turn-off the PC, short the pins again.

Edited by Akabilk, 15 November 2011 - 09:50 AM.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Inspect the interior to make sure all your power connections are correct and securely fastened. Note most motherboards today require 2 (or sometimes 3) separate power connections. Check the two wires from the front panel power switch to make sure they are still correctly fastened to the correct pins on motherboard's front panel I/O header (set of pins).

I am assuming it was all working fine one day, then the next day, nothing - right? Or were changes made and it stopped working after that?

You might try disconnecting all drives, all but one stick of RAM, and any external devices (printers, external drives, card readers) not needed then boot. If still nothing, then if me, I would try another CPU - but I have spare CPUs laying around. Most users don't. So at this point, a trip to a shop may be in order.

Yep. It was on one day -- then after about 20 minutes of being shutdown, it would not turn back on.

Going to get a new processor from the store to test it -- if it does not work, im going to return it but worth a shot

Also I tried to short circuit it (who knows if I did it right) nothing happened.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Going to get a new processor from the store to test it -- if it does not work, im going to return it but worth a shot

You better make sure they will let you return it first. I doubt they will. A bad motherboard can take out CPU. And it can be destroy by ESD by simply touching it and/or holding it wrong.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Yup -- I'm not allowed to return it , I don't know what to do :-/

Theyre charging me $80 just to bring it in and have them look at it -- I really don't feel like paying that, and its going to take about a month - 2 months just for them to look at it

I really don't have the money right now to build a new PC -- so I don't know what to do ..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Sorry, I don't know what else to suggest either. 2 months? That's ridiculous. Is there no other place you can take it to?

Understand the reason it costs so much is because when repairing electronics, it is the troubleshooting that takes the most time and talent to figure out what is wrong. Replacing the bad part is only about 5% of the whole repair process.