Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 shuts down for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Both 32Bit & 64Bit Windows 7 shut down unexpectedly. I run both on the same hardware.

Sometimes it happens after using the system for 1-3 hours. Sometimes, it happens 10-15 minutes after starting.

When I restart the system. I get a menu with various startup options. There is also a message about incorrect shutdown.
So far, Normal Startup has always resulted in an apparently normal system.

I am guessing that it is due to either a loose connection or overheating, but wonder it it could be due to something else.

Since it happens for both 32Bit & 64Bit Win7,a hardware problem seems most likely.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting this?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Right Click on “My Computer” and goto “Properties”.
Then goto the “Advanced” tab and under the headline “Startup and Recovery”, press the “Settings” button.
Untick the “Automatically Restart” box and press Ok.

Write down the error and post it here. You can also look it up yourself.
http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html

If you have any minidump files i would like to take a look at them. Just zip them up and post them here.
Nirsoft has a minidump reader here.
http://www.nirsoft.n...creen_view.html

Also take a look in your event viewer. There is a wealth of info there, and you can post the basic information to help us here to see whats wrong.

SRX660

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust and all fans work properly. Then check your temps.

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanx for the advice. It looks correct.

I am now convinced that it is a CPU temperature problem.

I took the side panels off the tower Case. I now have a powerful fan blowing into the case.

No shutdown for a few hours. Meantime to shutdown was much higher than that.

The fans in the tower case are functional, but room temperature is higher than it had been.

We turned on the heat for the winter.

I will follow the scenario posted by SRX660 to verify & collect more data.

Thanx much !!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, ambient (room) temperature can have a huge impact on case cooling. Still, if your room temperature is comfortable for you, say, 75°F or below, then your case should provide adequate cooling. You might inspect the case to see if it supports more or larger (120mm or larger) fans.

Moving the computer closer to an outside wall may put it a cooler environment too, as long as a heater duct is not blowing hot air on it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get SpeedFan 4.45...install it then get a screenshot and post it for us...