Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Performance increase?

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I am mainly playing BF3 on high @ 1920x1080 0aa 4af HBAO lighting off. Getting 35-55fps with drops into 28-32 area in intense situations.

Basically what i would like to know is.

What kind of performance gain should I see from upgrading to a 6870 from
an overclocked 5770?
i5 750
8gig ddr 1600mhz

should I see these framrates almost double? - If not what kind of upgrade would see them fps double?
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
i think you should read this article as it applies to your question:

http://pcper.com/rev...ou-need-succeed

I don't think you will double the frame rate, but it will be significantly better than the 5770. I would also recommend 1 gig or more of video ram due to the large textures that the newer games are using.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks for the reply.

This was a good read, and probably quite an eye opener, my guess is to see any reasonable increase in fps/visuals I should probably opt for a GTX570/6970.

Which in turn would likely mean a PSU update too, as im currently running a hiper 580w M series.

Therefore I think the best bet would be to stay with the 5770 for the forseable future, would you agree?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sure, if your ok with it. I have a 560ti and it does great.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I was looking at the 560ti but was put off by the blank screen reports part way into the game, so started too look at 6870's

I will probably hold out, maybe even wait until I can get something with similar performance to todays GTX570 for around the £160 mark (they are currently £250+ here in the UK) may end up with a 7950 or something..

Thanks for the help anyway, I'll post back when I upgrade next year.