Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
if i buy a windows 7 upgrade pack and not the instalation disk, will i be able to put the 64bit version on my win 7 32bit machine.

thanks

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You would need to uninstall your 32-bit version before installing the 64-bit version.
As you'll be using an upgrade disc to install from, you'll be asked to enter the Product Key of the previous version at some point.

Before you proceed, however, have you checked that 64-bit drivers are available for the internal devices on your PC maker's website?
Similarly, have you checked they are available for all your peripheral devices like printer, scanner etc. ?

You can't use 32-bit drivers on 64-bit Windows. Neither can you use 64-bit drivers which aren't Microsoft-certified (they'll install but Windows won't load them).

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Is an upgrade a full version then, just minus a product key?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The upgrade still needs a product key. Apart from that it's the same program.