Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email not accessible

• Please log in to reply

Gunnie

Gunnie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I noticed this problem today since I restarted my computer after installing the SP2. The error message I get is:

Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer could be out of memory, or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support for further assistance. (0x8007007E, 126)

I click OK and another message pops up:

Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly.

I have also been working with Geeks To Go with some virus and spyware issues and had been working on it yesterday. I don't know if this may also be a factor:

Posted in HiJackThis logs

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Check out this link Repair Internet Explorer

Gunnie

Gunnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried both ways, and no go. It appears that the SP2 download has messed up my files in the registry. I found an article to help fix this but could not locate a file they were talking about and went no further. microsoft support

Can you tell me where the Export registry file is?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you using the registry editor? Start -> Run, type regedit

Be very careful when making any changes to the registry as you can seriously mess up your computer.

Gunnie

Gunnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Before I go any further, I have another question. My AVG is scheduled to scan every 24 hours. I currently have 3 infected files:

C:\System Volume Information\_Restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP179\A0032856.EXE:\FILES\IEDRIVER.EXE

C:\System Volume Information\_Restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP179\A0032856.EXE:\FILES\IEUPDATE.EXE

C:\System Volume Information\_Restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP179\A0032856.EXE:\FILES\td.EXE

It also says Trojan Horse downloader.TurownB

Could this be part of the problem? I also noticed when I went into add or remove programs, SP2 was there but the size of it was not there. I tried to remove it, and it said it wasn't there.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried restoring your computer to a date before you installed SP2?

This trojan is in your restore file, if we clear it, it will clear all your restore points. Try restoring to an earlier date first, then we'll take care of that trojan <_<

Gunnie

Gunnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried restoring way before I had any problems, and it tells me that nothing has changed. I have gone all the way back to July 1st. I thought this was odd since I was supposed to have downloaded the SP2 last week. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Disabling system restore:
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives".
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.
8. Proceed with what you need to do; for example, virus removal. When you have finished, restart the computer.
9. Enable system restore again.