Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question on installing HD's on a fresh reinstall

• Please log in to reply

ehmsbaits

ehmsbaits

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am kind of a newb at this kind of stuff so I was hoping someone would either have a link that would help me or someone who could walk me through it..

Basically I bought this gaming PC of someone and he had told me that there are 2 500gig hd's backed up on 1 TB hd.. I am going to do a fresh re-install and when I bought this he made it sound like it would be super confusing on as of how to do it.. If anyone would be able to help shed some light I would greatly appreciate it . :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Fresh install of which Windows version?

ehmsbaits

ehmsbaits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I am just going to do a re-format, but when I bought it he had something set up to where it would have 2 gigs of storage on a 1TB back up, to increase speed or something of that sort.. I could be completely wrong.

ehmsbaits

ehmsbaits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry , it is windows 7

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm a little confused, but it almost sounds like it might be a RAID 0 setup using 2 x 500GB hard drives. When you initially boot the computer, do you see a black screen that says something like "Press <Ctrl-I> to enter Configuration Utility"?

Also, please go to Start, type in diskmgmt.msc and open the program that appears at the top of the list. You can attach a screen shot of the window opened by pressing the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard which is on the right, just above the number pad. Then go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint. When Paint opens, press the icon at the top that says "Paste" which will paste a copy of the print screen we took earlier.

Now click on the Save button at the top, change the file type to JPEG (.jpg) and save it somewhere you remember. Then please attach that to your next post.

ehmsbaits

ehmsbaits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Like I said, he made it sound super confusing and I am probably just as confused as you, it could have been because he wanted money to install windows. Here is the screenshot.

http://img.photobuck...kmanagement.jpg

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Can't really see anything on that screenshot, but from looking at the blue blocks my best guess is it appears to be two separate hard drives, not one big one.

ehmsbaits

ehmsbaits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So do I really need to do anything special with a fresh windows 7 install?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I can't really see anything either because of the picture being so small. Is it possible for you to get something that's not as compressed? Any luck seeing anything that says "Press <Ctrl + I> to enter Configuration Utility" when it boots?

If you look down by the clock, is there anything that says "Intel Matrix Storage Manager"? It might also be found under the Programs section of your Start Menu.