Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power but black screen

• Please log in to reply

specialnvite

specialnvite

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
i have a acer aspore t690, vista operating system.. i came home one day and turned it on,, all light and power source come on but i have nothing but a blank screen. no curser, not windows noises like it booting ... have tried a different monitor on it, not monitor.. i'm assuming that i need a reboot disk or even a factory recover disk to reboot it. i know i have very little info.. but black screen is all i got. this acer was the first i bought that didnt come with disks. i did not make reboot disk for it, tried the rboot disk for my acer aspire laptop ((same vista operating system)) but it didnt work, my other ascer is a windows 7 ... my question is ,, is there anywhere to download the reboot disk / recovery disk ...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi specialnvite
Do you get a screen of any kind when you first power up, can you get into the BIOS by tapping F8 on powering up, it may also be the Del key as not all PCs are the same.
The acer aspire t690 is listed as having an integrated video chip and also be able to accept an add on pci-e X16 type card type which are you using as it may have failed or it may need reseating, are you comfortable working on your computer?
We will guide you if you are uncertain in any way and ask as many questions as you feel you need to.
Your PCs specs http://support.acer....reT690sp2.shtml

specialnvite

specialnvite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi thanks for responding ,,,
i get nothing but a black screen,, i just went and tried to reboot it and pressing f8 and then del ,,, even tried ctrl f11 and ctrl f10,, and i just went and pulled the battery and still nothing but black,, buttttt i had a bright idea last night or at least thought i did,, i tried to reboot it with the recovery disk from my acer aspire laptop it is a vista also,, (( one other time a while back it had wouldnt boot and that disk worked)) ,,,,, now i have a new problem a buzzing,,, everytime i turn it on it buzzes and wont stop,,, i may have really screwed it up ,,,, i am not afraid to work in my pc,, side is off already,, i changed out the rams on it in the past ... i did get on the acer site last night and sent a message requesting a reboot disk from them ,, havent heard from them yet,,,,,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
To access the BIOS try tapping the following keys F1, F2 or CTRL+ALT+ESC.
Try removing the CMOS battery again and keeping it out slightly longer before replacing it this time.
Remove and reseat the GFX card securely (if fitted, you never said) do the same with the Ram, check that all internal connections are secure and boot up.

NB: Please make sure you ground yourself before reaching inside the case, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case and ensure you remove the power cord from the wall before you begin.

specialnvite

specialnvite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
whats the gfx card and where would i find it,, the rest i know where to locate ,,,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
GFX card = add on video card if fitted, connected to your MB with the port towards the back of the case.

specialnvite

specialnvite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
did all that and still black and buzzing,,, i did hear from acer, send them another number off my pc,, hopping to get a reboot disk from them...

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You may have a bad AC adapter.

specialnvite

specialnvite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i want to thank you for all your help ,, but ive come to the conclusion that this is way out of my league to search down the endless possibilities of the many things that could be wrong ,, ive decided to conclude this ,, i dont i know how to end this forum but thank you again for your help,,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
specialnvite, the decision is yours to make of course but just so you know we are here as long as you need us so if you change your mind simply post back here and good luck with whatever you decide.

did all that and still black and buzzing,,, i did hear from acer, send them another number off my pc,, hopping to get a reboot disk from them...

Sorry but if your video chip or card has failed then a reboot disk will not solve the issue.