Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer "Red X" in place of pictures

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
On some websites when using Internet Explorer 7 there is a red x place holder in place of pictures. Tried all the recommended MS repair options. Does not occur when using Firefox 8. Tried Disk Repair, reset Internet Explorer, also reset OCX files. Same problem. Currently using AVG Free Anti Virus.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I suggest you look at this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807

Start I advice at Method 2.

However a quick examination on advanced trouble shooting if you have already checked the basics, may be the way forward,

In order to save us both time, on your reply, if the problem is not solved please list ALL you have tried.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for responding.

I have previously tried all the steps in MS 283807 - both basic and advanced in the ordered represented. Reset IE7 a couple of times

Also have applied the pngasso fix to fix the png associations in the registry http://www.eggheadca...ile association (although my windows files are at WINNT) and I am not sure that it was applied

Ran imgeditor for png files from http://windowsxp.mvp.../imgassofix.htm

Checked File Associations in Control Panel and added Internet Explorer to the list

Tried to find Deckard's File Association Tool since many tech sites mentioned that that would fix the problem.

Ran CC Cleaner.

Cleared Temp Files using TFC and ATF Cleaner and CleanUp 3.0!

Cannot upgrade to IE8 since IE7 need for business use from company I work with. This is a laptop. Same programs are on an office desktop and IE7 runs ok. The only difference is AVG Anti Virus is on desktop. Also temporarily disabled AVG to see if there was any difference.

Read a couple of fixes included changing permissions for png files but not comfortable with making reg changes.

A search on the Internet shows that there are many many users experiencing this problem. Most are techs for themselves or for their clients that make adjustments to the registry. Many times upgrading to IE8 did not help. If we can figure out how to fix this problem a lot of users would be most appreciative.

Edited by joseph456, 18 November 2011 - 06:59 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When did the problem start please.
Are you able to connect this with any other changes.

What are the properties of the images that do not show - as per the article ie: GIF, PNG etc.

Do images show if you receive one in an email - send one to yourself.

Start IE no add-ons - Start, programs, accessories, system tools

I do not recommend that you try any more so-called instant fixes.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Problem started a couple of weeks ago. Seems like it may have started when one of the AVG downloads happened but not sure.

Properties are as follows from a Google Weather Page as an example:

sunny.png

Protocol: Hyper Text Transfer Protocl
Type: Not Available
Address: http://g0.gstatic.co...ather/sunny.png (URL)
Size: Not Available
Dimensions: 42 x 42 pixels
Created: Not Available
Modified: Not Available

Interesting Result: If I copy and paste to a MS Word blank document, I can see the picture. If I email the document, I can see the picture in the document emailed.

However - if I copy and paste the document into the body of the email using netaddress.com or Outlook I cannot see it. I also tried to copy and paste the document on my office computer where IE7 is working ok and I can copy and paste the document into an email and see it! Even if I try to copy from the "good" IE7 office computer and paste it to my laptop it does not work

Copy/Paste PNG from Laptop IE7 to Email Body - Does not work (Seeing a red x)
Copy/Paste PNG from Office Desktop to email with fully functioning IE7 works
Copy/Paste PNG from Office Desktop with fully functioning IE7 to Laptop email does not work (Seeing a red x)
Copy/Paste PNG from Laptop IE7 Website (Red x) to Office Desktop works!

More Information: This notice appears in a bar across many websites including this one. "Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click here for options." This notice did appear before but I could still see png's. Not sure what caused this notice.

FYI When viewing this site in IE7 the Edit, Add Reply, Reply Icon, Reply Icons (which are all png's) all appear as red x's. In reply messages there are eight red x's

Started IE No Add ons. Same Result

Edited by joseph456, 18 November 2011 - 08:49 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well presuming that you do NOT wish to try a restore to two weeks ago, I would disable AVG, ENSURING YOU THEN ONLY go to a trusted site and try again on for instance Google weather.

In view of your parapgraph regarding active X Controls - click the options and allow.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Allowed Active X to Display - Internet Explorer - Internet Settings set at medium high (by default)

Temporarily Disabled AVG Antivirus

Went to Google Home Page

Same Result

Note - When this first happened did a System Restore to earliest available with no change
This was also around the time Security Update for Windows XP KB 25844893-v2 11/11/11 was installed

Edited by joseph456, 19 November 2011 - 11:45 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would run a chkdsk, on a chkdsk /r cmd, not that I think you may have bad sectors, but whilst you are rinning a chkdsk anyway, you may as well run it on the r, rather than just the f. - unless that was the disk repair you refer to in your opening post.

I would follow that with an sfc /scannow

Are you using Windows firewall - if another firewall - try disabling that - do not forget of course to re-enable.

I would also try on IE - Tools , Internet Options, Security, click on the Sites button and place one of the sites where you are having this problem in the trusted zone.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Completed chkdsk /r. System had to be restarted in order to complete 5 steps. p

Not sure if you wanted to see event log which follows.

Also ran scannow, added Google home page to trusted sites, turned off firewall and disabled AVG AV

Same result.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/19/2011
Time: 6:49:18 PM
User: N/A
Computer: S0034324532
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 1918 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1918 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1918 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

39070048 KB total disk space.
27530356 KB in 85438 files.
29420 KB in 9170 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
213428 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
11296844 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocation units on disk.
2824211 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 9b 01 00 9b 71 01 00 a4 a4 01 00 00 00 00 00 .....q..........
af 2e 00 00 08 00 00 00 c0 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
fe 03 00 08 00 00 00 00 10 73 b0 a3 00 00 00 00 .........s......
28 b4 6d 10 00 00 00 00 14 21 60 b5 05 00 00 00 (.m......!`.....
a2 3f d8 8f 01 00 00 00 a6 03 8b 09 08 00 00 00 .?..............
80 68 7a a6 00 00 00 00 a0 38 07 00 be 4d 01 00 .hz......8...M..
00 00 00 00 00 d0 51 90 06 00 00 00 d2 23 00 00 ......Q......#..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am replying just so you are not left in mid-air so to speak.

I was just about to sign off as it is 0153 here in Uk., when I got the notification of your post,.

I will reply later today, about 1400hrs. or so.

Please download this and send me the URL as shown in the instructions.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

NOTE
Just seen that you have added the Google home page to the Trusted sites.
Try adding ONE of the sites where you do not see the images.
I realise that is NOT the solution - as of course you cannot add every site, but it may reveal what the problem is.

Advertisements

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for your help. I appreciate the time you are putting into this.

Interesting - I just ran PC Pitstop's Check before your post so I went back and pulled up the results (that's why this is timed before your post) http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

Also wanted to let you know that (previously) I disabled Firewall, AVG, Spyware Blaster and got same result on Google page

Found a site with no png files - msn.com and added it to trusted sites. Apparently any site that has a png file shows the dreaded "red x's"

Edited by joseph456, 19 November 2011 - 08:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I see nothing on Pitstop is is readily atrributable to this problem.

However may I just mention that you have a two registry optimizer cleaning programs installed and a duplicate file cleaner.

We at GeesktoGo do not recommend registry cleaners or optimizers - which are basically the same and whilst duplicate file cleaners are not to be considered in the same group they do have their dangers.

I have known these prorgams select a file as unrequired when it fact it was, although apparently of the same name, in a different location and was required.

To move forward I think now, bearing in mind that you cannot install IE8 which would have been my suggestion that you see this and REINSTALL completely IE7

A restore point will automatically be created by the procedure, but nevertheless I advise you to create one anyway
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Before I do that what and since my problem seems to be the png files what do you think of this option:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\pngfilt.dll (and click OK) outlined at this website

http://libpng.org/pu...ngfaq.html#msie

or this one: secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

outlined here:

http://answers.micro...8a1f034d?page=3

or if you don't think I should do either of these first and reinstall IE7 is this the one I would use?

For 32-bit Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Download Center website:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP

Do I have to uninstall all of the updates? If not will they just be applied to the new install?

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You can try them
The first one registering the file should have been achieved with the scannow cmd I sent you.
Presuming that you did run it.

If they do not work I would ;proceed as advised and YES that is the link

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Tried both. Did not fix the problem but system boots a lot faster

This is the message I received when using regsvr32 c:\winnt\system32\pngfilt.dll

c:\winnt\system32\pngfilt.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered.

I did find the file in this directory and it has a date on it of 8/17/11

When I ran sfc /scannow the date on this file did not change

I should probably go ahead and reinstall IE7? Question: What happens with the updates I have on my computer? Do I need to uninstall them or will they be applied to the new install? Also - Do I need to export Favorites?