Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer "Red X" in place of pictures

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
No it will not effect that but like any other installation - as I said, although it will establish its own restore point - do so.
If your favourites are vital to you - and you wish you can of course always backup the folder. However as I said, they should be OK. They are of course in your documents and settings.
You may need to then go to updates, for IE

Basically the installation will detect the IE and follow the guidance from there.

Advertisements

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Your Suggestion Worked!!! Thanks so much for your help to this frustrating problem.

I downloaded IE7 as you suggested and let it install all updates and Malicious Software Removal Tool. I also disabled AV as recommended and set a System Restore point. IE then also did the same.

I also noticed that Windows Update seems to work a lot faster now.

Sometimes (and I was getting this before) IE puts a bar at the top of the window (for instance on the Geeks to Go home page) that says: "Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. What should I do about that?"

Can I uninstall Internet Information Services (IIS) from the Windows Components in Add/Remove Programs? Is it necessary for the efficient operation of IE?

Do you recommend that I remove all the "utilities/tweaking" software I have installed?

What programs should I keep/download to maintain the performance of my computer?

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by joseph456, 20 November 2011 - 11:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Sometimes (and I was getting this before) IE puts a bar at the top of the window (for instance on the Geeks to Go home page) that says: "Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer.

I advise you to leave the settiing, it can be altered, to set it so that bar does not display, but some websites, especially those of more doubtful nature, (not that I am suggesting you deliberately vist those) will install malicious activex components on your computer.page may not display correctly. What should I do about that?

Can I uninstall Internet Information Services (IIS) from the Windows Components in Add/Remove Programs? Is it necessary for the efficient operation of IE?

Is the computer a stand alone computer, connected to the internet through your modem/router etc or is it part of a network of computers and you connect to your Officer server. (I did not see evidence of that on Pitstop)
If the first. then yes, if the second, I would have to refer you as that it is not my area of knowledge
See this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305548

Do you recommend that I remove all the "utilities/tweaking" software I have installed?

That is really a matter for you I am not evading the question, but all I can reaaly say is that we do not advise the use of any program that involves any automated registry cleaning aspect. If you look on the last line of my signature notes, you will see a brief explanation with a clickable link - for ease it is here
http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

I would say, do NOT use them. Therefore if you are not going to use them, you may as well uninstall them.
Use the programs OWN uninstaller if it has one, if not use Windows add/remove programs.
If you do uninstall them after completion, run TFC Cleaner again.
Then check the defrag requirement.

Always run the disk cleanup/TFC etc before the defrag check on analysis and defrag if necessary. It is no use defragging and then running a cleanup program.

In respect of the general performance go start, run and type msconfig When System configuration utility opens, click the StartUp tab.
In respect of the entries which are checked with a green tick - send a screenshot please.

When you have that on the desktop, press the print screen key, then go start, programs, accessories, paint and when paint opens on the edit tab, click paste. The image will appear. You may then select just the window of the system config and then
edit, copy. File Tab New, edit and paste.
File tab, save as and select jpeg file typre, Bitmap to which paint defaults is too large.
Then on your reply - use full editor and click to attach files.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks. Since my home laptop although used for business is not connected to a server but does access the internet via a router what should I do? What does the Internet Information Services do that I would need?

Also, can I remove Java? I had removed it before the problem started and thought maybe that was contributing to the problem.

Regarding your comment about uninstalling programs, what is your opinion about Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling programs?

If you don't mind, I have attached my start-up for my desktop to see if you think there are items I can remove. When I get home I will attach the start-up screen for my laptop (which only has three or four items on it).

Thanks for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Regarding your comment about uninstalling programs, what is your opinion about Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling programs?

Good reliable program. However ALWAYS use, first, the uninstall facility on the program you are attempting to remove or Control Panel Add/Remove programs. Only then do you need to use Revo if those fail.

Sometimes, particularly with A/V programs, such as ABG, Norton etc the uninstaller is a separate download on the AVG or whatever site. AND in those cases that is what you should use.

Re the IIS - your connection to a modem/router to access the internet. If that is the case you may uncheck it in Windows components.

JAVA - you will no doubt need it for quite a number of website downloads. Always ensure you have the latest. Adobe and JAVA are two of the noticeable security weaknesses when NOT up to date. Indeed their updates are released in the main, to address these issues.

Re StartUp - Autoruns is a marvellous program and we use it on GeekstoGo for a number of tasks.
However, I would rather use the actual startup utility in system confguration.
Using autoruns, there are two options, one is to uncheck the entry for the registry key. Autoruns then remembers the setting and you can alter it by re-running autoruns and the other option is to highlight the entry and you can then delete the key.
The second option - should not be used on a general basis for startup entries.

For a number of reasons I prefer the procedure I outlined.
Please send me THAT screenshot.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Sorry - I used autoruns to fit startup list on one page. Did not know how to expand entries on startup list. Here are two pages of desktop startup list:

Edited by joseph456, 21 November 2011 - 04:04 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No need to apologise.
Quite a number of people, do use Autoruns, for this procedure.
My preference is to use system config.
The result of unchecking the entry is in fact the same as unchecking it in Autoruns.
However deleting it in autoruns is a different matter.

To save you waiting, it is unlikely I will post the reply tonight, but you may proceed with the rest of my previous.
Looking at the list I can, I think assure you that startup will be quicker, when we have completed this part.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks - attached is from my laptop. This one saves using Windows Picture and Fax Viewing since for some reason I don't have Photo Editor installed. Hope you can enlarge it. It saves a very small picture which I have to enlarge. Hoping you can give me a better solution. Solved the problem and fixed MS Paint to have a smaller canvas. Also installed MS Photo Editor

Edited by joseph456, 22 November 2011 - 12:19 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The first set were OK and I think they included this.

To save you waiting, it is unlikely I will post the reply tonight, but you may proceed with the rest of my previous

I will post tomorrow.
I am signing off.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Updated previous email with better picture of msconfig

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On the screenshot in your post 23.
UNCHECK the three for

1. Bill MInder - you can simply open it when you wish, there is no need to have it running when you start up

2. jusched - it is automatic updating for JAVA, you do not need it running at start up. Simply go Control Panel JAVA and check for updates from there.
HOWEVER see my note of caution in my post 20.

3. AdobeARM - you can most certainly uncheck it - you do not need it running at Startup - indeed see this - you may well not need it whatsoever.
Adobe ARMAdobeARM.exeRelated to Adobe Optimize and enable Adobe® Flash® Player 10 and Adobe AIR for ARM Powered® devices, ranging from mobile phones to set-top boxes, mobile Internet devices, televisions, automotive platforms, personal media players and other mobile computing devices.

LEAVE Avg checked that is your anti-virus indicator in your taskbar.

After unchecking Apply and OK and then when you reboot, click to check the small box on the panel, warning that you have altered system config. The small check box - do not show this message again.

I will continue with the others in the two screenshots shortly.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks.

I checked and all the options on the Java panel are unchecked. How do I stop it through the program?
Same for Adobe. Also noticed that reader sl.exe starts up at boot.

How do I stop this option through the program?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Uncheck the following if they are not listed leave them checked please.
INCLUDING THIS ONE - which I thought you may like to know what it was
amd_dc_optamd_dc_opt.exeAMD Dual-Core Optimizer - "can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction"
THEREFORE UNCHECK THESE PLEASE

1. BillMinder - you do not need it runing at startup - simply start as below
Can be setup in Quicken to remind user of due payments. Available via Start -> Programs

2.ERUNT autobackup
As above, simply start erunt and backup your registry as you require.

3. SuperAntispyware
If it is the free edition which does not provide real time protection and is used on a scan only basis - you do not need it running at startup.

4. Microsoft Office
Unless you particularly wish to have it load at startup, uncheck it and then simply open when required from your desktop Office shortcut or from Programs

5. AdobeARM
As per previous

6. jusched
As per previous

7.atiptaxx
Allows you to change resolotion colour depth etc of your grahics card from the ATI control,panel loaded at startup. If you HAVE optimized your graphics card settings for gaming etc, leave it. If not you may uncheck it.

8.HDAShCut
Shortcut from taskbar to configure you Realtek sound -not required at startup.

9,hpztsb04
Realted to your Hewlett Packard printer - places an icon on the taskbar to allow diagnostic and maintenance of the printer. Not required at startup can be accessed from either the Control Panel - printers or from the program list.

THAT completes the second of the screens in your post 21. I will deal with the last one shortly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your post 27.

You remove the check mark from these items in the StartUp folder of msconfig.

After doing that you exit the system config utility by click Apply and Close.

You are NOT changing any details of the program, you are simply preventing it running at start-up

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re my post 28 when you have done all those, please REBOOT and send me another screenshot of Startup list.

I have just realised that you sneaked in, a screen from another computer, aditional to the one this thread referred to :lol:

It was my error for not spotting that, orignally.