Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer "Red X" in place of pictures

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks - that's because I value your opinion - you are one of the best and most efficient technicians I have received help from. I did let you know in post #19 so that there were no surprises - If you don't mind, I have attached my start-up for my desktop to see if you think there are items I can remove. When I get home I will attach the start-up screen for my laptop (which only has three or four items on it). Will attach new startup screen from laptop shortly.

Edited by joseph456, 22 November 2011 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I did let you know in post #19

I realised - when I got through most of the list - as I said - my error.

I have just realised that you sneaked in, a screen from another computer, additional to the one this thread referred to :lol:

It was my error for not spotting that, orignally.

However re your last - post 31

If you don't mind, I have attached my start-up for my desktop to see if you think there are items I can remove.

That is the same screen as I had before, in post 23, but now just AVG is left as I recommended.

I will wait for the NEW screen from this computer, following your changes in my last posts dealing with the issue.

and whichever other one you wish to send.

Please make it clear which screenshot is the computer that was the subject of this thread originally.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
This screen is from the laptop and the computer we were originally working with (the one that had the IE7 problem).
Is there any reason to remove the unchecked items so that the system goes through a normal start up rather than a selective start up or doesn't it matter?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
All that selective startup means, in this instance is that we have changed the configuration, so that programs you DO NOT need to run at startup, do not run.

It has no other implications.

Leave it running selective startup. See if you think it is an improvement in time loading Windows.

If anything comes to your notice that you feel you would like to have running at startup, that I have recommended , not to have, simply return to the list and recheck it..

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Should I go ahead and install some of these updates (I was thinking the Security Updates and the Compatibility Update)? It is possible that one of these caused the original problem, maybe the IE7 update.

Edited by joseph456, 22 November 2011 - 06:57 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Have we now completed the startup list.
on BOTH computers.

2. The security updates - YES.

The others, click on the expand and see what the update is - you may then be able to decide if you need it.
If in doubt please just post details

That will save me exmaining each of those updates by KB number.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
joseph456

Goodnight - signed offline back about 1800.
0131 UK time now

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
These are the security updates that Belarc Advisor says I am missing. What does it mean that "Hotfixes from Microsoft Update are turned off (agent version 7.4.7600.226) are turned off?

Also should I install this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

PCP also used to let me know what security updates were missing but is not showing any now.

http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

Also - cannot understand why Active X is not supported in IE7 - See attached photo from PCPitstop when I tested for Active X

And then I just realized another problem. When I try to use Disk Cleanup it will not delete the Downloaded Program Files and when I right click it shows that the are all damaged!

Thanks

I realize it may be time for you to sign off and I'm OK waiting on this until tomorrow

Edited by joseph456, 22 November 2011 - 09:45 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

These are the security updates that Belarc Advisor says I am missing. What does it mean that "Hotfixes from Microsoft Update are turned off (agent version 7.4.7600.226) are turned off?

Go Control Panel, Windows updates.
When that opens you have the choices available
Automatic download and install
Download I will choose when to install
Notifiy me when available etc.

Select which you require.
Note - You should always use this to set your WINDOWS update requirements and not any procedure that may be included in some NON Microsoft program.
NOTE Please install ALL those critical UPDATES that you are offered.

You will see that there are also other updates offered - for instance it is offering you two hardware updates and a number of other optional updates. Those are the ones you to need to examine before you accept them.

2. IE7 changed slightly the activeX controls,
If you go Tools, Internet Options, Security and on the Internet settings, click the custom level button, scroll down and you will see the settings for activeX controls and Plug-ins.
Using the same procedure but instead of on Internet, you may also alter the settings for your Trusted sites.

3. Disk cleanup - Downloaded Program files - These are activeX controls, and java applets downloaded from your vists to Internet sites.
Damaged I would think because, they were not correctly downloading, when you had the problem, before your repair/install of IE7.
They are stored in the downloads folder on Documents and settings. - C drive.

RUN TFC again.

NB Please note - Pitstop - see my cautionary note on the download guidance. The overdrive analysis is regularly used on this site, but we do not recommend other utilities from Pitstop. On occasions there offered drivers, not that you require any, have
been found to be the incorrect ones.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Tried TFC first, then Disk Cleanup. Was not able to clean downloaded files. Have not done updates yet.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Check each of those files in the Occache

If they are all damaged note please their titles and then do this

• Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click the Install/Uninstall tab.
  • If the ActiveX control you want to remove appears in the list of installed programs, click the ActiveX control, click Add/Remove, and then follow the instructions on the screen. If the ActiveX control does not appear in the list of installed programs, continue with the next step.
  • In Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer, double-click the Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder or the Winnt\Downloaded Program Files folder, right-click the ActiveX control you want to remove, and then click Remove.
  • When you are prompted to remove the ActiveX control, click Yes.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Followed all the steps suggested and files disappeared and then when I went back to the file they were still there. Note picture with files is AFTER the delete.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On your post 38 the screenshot of properties - for one of those activeX downloads shows the file as damaged.

Referring now to my post 41 - how many of those files in their properties are shown as damaged please. OR to put iit another way - which if any are NOT shown as damaged.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
All are damaged however there are two email pages that use them - one is PC Pitstop and all the others are used by Guardian Life. It just bothers me having damaged and possibly outdated files on my computer that I cannot remove or update.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Please proceed to the updates.
Download and install ALL critical updates.
Paying attention please to any message regarding reboot required to complete install

Did you check the setting in the Windows Updates.?

Providing that goes smoothly please proceed to 2.

2. Go F8 and boot Safe Mode - not Safe Mode with Networking - then try disk cleanup.

3. When you ran that SFC /scannow did it require the XP CD and did it then complete.