Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu causing freezes

• Please log in to reply

badmonur

badmonur

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey, Im getting some freezing going on. I will have to do a hard reset and then reset a couple of times before i get the the pc to aknowledge the graphics card.I would like to point out that theres nothing wrong with the graphics card, Ive tested it with three one being straight out of the box and still doing the same thing. I can run stable with my old processor which was a pentium 4 dual core 2.50ghz but this freezes sometimes randomly.

Its not overheating
I flashed the bios and that helped a bit with the frequency at which it freezes, but it still does it.

system stats

Cosair tx 850 psu
asusP5KPL1600 mobo
seagate 1TB HDD
4gb ddr2 ram
Inten Core 2 duo e8600 3.33ghz

Advertisements

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
If your OS is having difficulty acknowledging the card, it sounds like that a corrupt driver is causing the problem, not the video-card since you have tried 3 of them and not the CPU (they tend to work or not work).

Have you tried upgrading to the latest Video-card driver?
If yes, is it freezing when you play a game or just in general use?

Try re-installing the card driver as it may be corrupt.

badmonur

badmonur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yeah, drivers are up to date. Its freezing whenever it feels like it. Sometimes on the xp loading screen, somtimes while im writing a message or whenever. Or it just doesn't show any video on start up until i take it out and try another cpu or reseat it.

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
It certainly does not sound like a CPU problem if your trying different ones. If there was something wrong with the CPU you wouldn't make it to POST.

What operating system are you using by the way?

Causes -
There are many reasons for a computer to stop working. However, it is usually because all available resources have been used up, or a program or piece of the connected hardware has caused it to freeze. Generally, it will be because of one of the following scenarios: the RAM (on-board chip memory combined with the paging memory) has been used to maximum extent or the CPU (central processing unit) is at 100 percent. In other words, the processor or memory is working so hard that nothing else can work. Other causes include a badly written driver for an accessory, outdated or inappropriate drivers.

Here are some common freezing causes you may wish to look into:

Low memory
Low disk space
Fragmented disk
Too many programs open simultaneously
Corrupt files
Software bugs
Virus infection
Overheating
- random lockups that start several minutes after you start up the PC are often the result of the processor cooling fan not working properly or other cooling issues.

Other Reasons For Freezing

Your computer's memory chips may have worked loose. This is more appropriate to a desktop than a laptop, since the memory chips in a laptop are held in tightly in place with spring-loaded guides. However, check this if the laptop has suffered a severe fall. Memory chips should be cleaned and reseated, because this is a common reason for freezes on a desktop computer.

Another reason for a computer freezing is that you have plugged in too many peripheral devices, such as controllers, cameras, scanners and printers. Usually, this problem will cause the computer to fail to boot (start) correctly. .

A blue screen of death, can tell you a lot about what is wrong by looking at the numbers after the word, "STOP." For example, you will see a code such as 000X000000. These numbers identify what is wrong, and you can check online to see what the stop code means. However, these blue screens are most often because of bad device drivers, hardware elements which have gone bad or software that has been installed. You will need to boot in Safe Mode, and then, by process of elimination, remove and replace suspect drivers or hardware, to determine what is causing the freeze.

Think back to the last thing you did before the freezes began (?) If nothing drastic and if your RAM is seated correctly, the first place to start would be to test your memory.

See rshaffer61's excellent advice on how to do that in post #2 here:
http://www.geekstogo...keeps-crashing/

Edited by Akabilk, 21 November 2011 - 04:46 PM.