Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting the run around - I just want AVIRA REMOVED!

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

how much deeper can you get than the registry?

Much! The Registry is just one of the major components of the Windows operating system. It is a hierarchical database used to store critical system configuration settings for the operating system, installed programs and attached hardware. But it is not the only method a program uses - especially for security programs, which need to dig deep (because malware digs deep). If everything was done in the Registry, then it would be pretty simple to keep the badguys from infecting our systems.

its not anti-malware that i am am trying to remove its avira tidbits leftover

Now I am confused. Avira is an anti-malware program. What do you mean by "tidbits"? I've been assuming you had Avira Free or Avira Internet Security (both are anti-malware solutions) installed, and now you are trying to remove it completely. Is that not the case?

Even if you successfully remove all the Avira entries from the registry, you may still have files and folders remaining on your drive. However, they should not affect your system, unless something else has been modified. And in that case, you may have to run SFC or do something more radical. But before that, I would contact Avira tech support.

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
ok, so avira is antiviral and anti malware - i didnt know that.

tidbits means leftovers - the program is not there but there are bits of it in the registry.

avira's own removal tool discovered all the leftovers and deleted some but said it could not delete the rest from the registry.

all i want to do is to delete the avira registry leftovers. when i went to registry to delete them i got a permissions note saying i cant.

this therefore is what i want to fix first of all and then re-try.

Edited by ding dong, 20 November 2011 - 03:47 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Malware is the catchall term for malicous code that includes viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware, etc. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a program that scans just for viruses anymore. They are all anti-malware scanners. Some that have been around awhile, like Avira, just never changed their names to reflect current terminology. If you note here, Avira looks for "many forms of malware, including worms, rootkits and costly dialers."

all i want to do is to delete the avira registry leftovers. when i went to registry to delete them i got a permissions note saying i cant.

When you ran the Avira tool, did you run as Administrator as Jacee suggested?

If that did not work then you might have to follow these instructions, but I warn you again, you need to backup your Registry and make sure you are removing only what you need. There is no undo feature in the Registry editor. You make any changes and they are changed.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thanks for explaining a few things.

I dont get a couple of things.

1. if the key is obsolete, then why is it dangerous to remove? I get that is is dangerous to root around in the registry but why is it dangerous to remove a key that can be removed?
2. why are there always two accounts whenever i go in to change something? - i get confused. why cant there be just one admin - me? why does there have to be two?

Thats why i included this snap. I followed the link you provided and its good but when it says click on your user name - well there is two of the [bleep]ers insnt there - so which one?

Edited by ding dong, 20 November 2011 - 04:57 PM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
dunno what happened to the snap but here is a second try.

nope, it wont load so its just a picture of an advanced option showing two accounts - an admin one and then me.

Edited by ding dong, 20 November 2011 - 04:59 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

1. if the key is obsolete, then why is it dangerous to remove?

It depends on what it is tied to. It is is obsolete and an orphaned entry - that is, not tied to anything, or nothing is pointing to it, then it is safe to delete.

There is always an admin account and when you first started using Windows you created an account for you, which I assume is alway an admin account.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
yeah but which one is my user name?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You don't know your username? You confuse me know. As long as you use an account that has admin privileges, it does not matter.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
i know my user name - the problem is I have two

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

1. if the key is obsolete, then why is it dangerous to remove? I get that is is dangerous to root around in the registry but why is it dangerous to remove a key that can be removed?
2. why are there always two accounts whenever i go in to change something? - i get confused. why cant there be just one admin - me? why does there have to be two?

1. Anything in the registry is dangerous if you are not sure of the EXACT item / key you are removing.
2. There will only be 2 accounts if you (or someone else) created a second account. I have a Guest account but it has never been used.

After all this - The Avira Support Forum is the best place (I use it) to get precise details on removal of their products.
Later versions may use a slightly altered removal program compared to early versions. Know the Version you had and if it was paid or free version.
With Vista or Windows7, always Right Click and use Run as Administrator.

Good Luck -

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
i have exhausted avira's site as their removal tool did remove most of the free program but left bits behind in the registry which it said it could not remove.

when i went into the registry to remove the obsolete avira keys - it told me i dont have permission to do that.

so now i want to know how to give my account more permission - not a workaround going through an admin account or in safe mode - i want my persona user account given more permissions.

how can i acheive this?