Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not go into standby/hibernate or turn off

• Please log in to reply

luminix

luminix

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
After a fairly serious crash several months, I spent 2 months on the malware removal forum getting my computer working again. The member there helped me tremendously getting my computer back to 90% of previous functionality. But I still have a few issues that I can't solve. Btw, here's the link to the other forum (there are around 60posts). http://www.geekstogo...51/page__st__60

If that link doesn't work, you can search the site for my user name "luminix" and I think only my thread will come up.

The main problem now is that when I shut down, the computer will either immediately reboot, or go to a blue screen with some 0000xb.... error saying there has been a malfunction. To shut down, I have to wait until I see that screen and then do a hard shut down holding in the power button. Also, when I click "turn off computer", the "standby" yellow key is NOT lit - it is there, but white and I cannot click it. So there is a problem with the shut down mechanism of the computer and I cannot figure out how to solve this. Even more info on this problem, and a few other XP problems, are found on my post in the malware section.

Can someone help me please? I'd really appreciate any help. Eric

Advertisements

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I get an blue error screen every time I shut down or restart. So, I have to do a manual shut down by pressing and holding the power button. Additionally, I cannot choose stand by/hibernate from the shut down menu. Can anyone help?

I have much more written about this problem on a closed tread in the malware forum. The person helping me helped me fix many problems, but he couldn't help with this one. So, he recommended I come to this forum to ask for help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hello.

1. I am about to go offline until approx 2300hrs UK time. I have replied as you have already been waiting some three days or so.

2. I have not had time to read all the thread in Malware but have read the last page or so. Did you follow any of the closing advice from the expert in Malware.

3. Please llst for me all you have tried, to date, after leaving the Malware forum. This will save us both a lot of time.

4. Does the same problem occur after a Safe Mode boot.

5. If the answer ot 4 is YES. Does it coccur after a clean boot,
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

Use the manual procedure ONLY as far as and including step 3 please.

I will return as above at 1.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry for the delay. I had almost given up on you guys and with the Thanksgiving holiday recently, I haven't checked this page for several days. This is why you haven't seen a reply. Nevertheless, I still need your help.

I will reply to your questions within the next day or so. I'm sorry I don't have enough time to respond now - I want to be thorough.

So, please don't think I've gone to another site. I'm still hoping someone here can help.

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for the update will wait to hear from you

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Sorry for the delay.

First, Ill give you a summary of what is wrong with the computer at the moment. There are 2 main problems, and a few other smaller problems (like Real Player will not install).

1) I get a blue screen error message ( "A problem has been detected and windows shut down to prevent damage. Tech info: Stop:0xC000005, 0x0000007E, 0xF77F79AC, kbdclassys - Address F77F79ACb at F77F7000, Datestamp 48025372, 0xF78c29BC, 0xF78c26B8"). It all started 1 or 2 days after I changed the registery key from 0 to 1. (see the directions i followed below) I changed it back to 0, but am still getting the screen. Btw, I get the screen only when I shut down the computer. The computer goes into normal shut down mode, closing everything, and going to the normal blue screen with windows logo that says "shutting down" and then right at the moment it would shut down (or restart as has been the case recently for this machine), it gives me the error message. So any thoughts along the lines of the registery change causing the problem?

2) Related to above. The shut down/restart/stand by not-highlighted. It all started a few days after dl SP3.

3) I used to have MSoffice 2003, but after my compu crashed, I cannot open any MSoffice document or program getting the following error message. "this action is only valid for products that are already installed" and "Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application". I'll write more about this at the end of this post, but maybe you can help me with the first 2 problems first.

Instructions I followed:
"There is an option in the registry that you can try and change. Perhaps it will help.

Start, Run, regedit, OK then navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

find the entry in the right pane that says:

PowerdownAfterShutdown

and double click it. a little window should open. Change the 0 to 1 and OK. See if that makes a difference.

The SP3 install may have eaten up your hard disk space so that there is not enough left for Hibernation. Open My Computer and right click on the C:\ drive and select Properties. How much space does it have? You need a block of contiguous hard drive space equal to your RAM. Click on Tools, Defragment. See if it will let you defrag the drive. You need 11% free space for defrag to work so you may need to offload some files to one of your other partitions.

Ron "

I did the previous and nothing helped. I am not sure about the hard drive space required to hibernate, but I currently have 5.71Gb free space on a 67.1GB hard drive. I have 1.93Gb of RAM.

Also, Ron mentioned that the problem was due to a bad driver for my keyboard. I have a logitech Y-BE22. It's old, but works great. I'm using it now. I checked the logitech website to dl a new driver, but they don't have one there. I googled it and found other sites, but am reluctant to dl from other sites for fear of virus infection. Hence, I have not dl'd any drivers for the keyboard and don't even know where to go to get it.

I have not tried the safe boot or clean boot. I will as soon as I send this and post back. Thanks for your help. Eric

MS Word/Office problem:
Nothing in MS Office is working. Again, I repeat, I bought this computer in a store and it came with office preinstalled. I have never had any problems with it. Since the crash, it was the first time in the many years I've had this computer that I had a problem with it. Every time I click on the Word icon on my desktop (that always worked before), it doesn't open and instead gives me a message box saying "this action is only valid for products that are already installed". When I navigate into the programs folder/microsoft office/office 10 and I see another Word icon there, I click on it, Word actually opens but giving me the error message "Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application", I click "ok" and Word closes. The same happens for all Office products. How could the entire Office suite "uninstall" because of a computer crash? How can I get it back? I do not have the original CD that came with the computer, however HP keeps giving me this message at startup x1/week saying I can make some recovery CDs if I want. I haven't done that yet. Not sure it'll help.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
OK, I just did a safe boot and got an interesting result. But I need to explain a little more about the problem.

In my last post, I mentioned that items 1 & 2 are related. But they are also a bit different.

After the crash, I got help in Malware Forum to get my computer up and running again. After a month, we finally got to the point to install SP3. Soon after, the computer would not shut down. When I clicked shut down, it would start shutting down everything, but instead of turning off, it would just restart. The "hibernate" or "stand by" option on the "shut down" menu suddenly appeared as not highlighted and could not be clicked. However, at this point, there was NO blue screen error message. This "no shut down, instead just restart" lasted for about 2 weeks and Ron tried to help me with it by changing some items from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0. I don't remember exactly. But, nothing helped.

Then, during these fix attempts, I suddenly started seeing the blue error screen I previously mentioned at shut down and restart. When this appeared, the computer would neither restart nor shut down. I had to do a hard shut down. Also, fyi, the "hibernate/stand by" button was STILL NOT highlighted.

I have been living with the blue screen for over 1 month now.

This brings me to the safe mode boot. In safe mode, I tried a restart and a shut down. Interestingly, during both attempts, I did NOT get the blue screen error message and the computer shut down and restarted without any problems. HOWEVER, in both attempts, the hibernate/stand by option was not highlighted and could not be clicked.

I have not tried a clean boot. I will await your opinion. Thanks. Eric

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
luminix

1. This having read your posts here and some of your thread in Malware appears as though it may well have the makings of a long job.

2. I will not sign off without posting to you my intention to do so.
Please do the same for me, as this simple procedure saves us both waiting for a reply that is not going to arrive.
I am in the UK as you will see from my details, so not knowing where you are, I am not sure ifthere is going to be a noticeable time difference.

3. I have read your TWO posts, but with the greatest respect it is a little hard to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
PLEASE when you reply would you list 1 to whatever the current errors/faults etc on the computer - at this time without any great detail

Office 2003.
As you were advised in Malware it appears to be a lost cause.
Indeed if the resinatll of XP was a CLEAN install rather than a repair install it most certainly is - GONE never to be recovered.
Presumably before you proceeded, if it was a clean install you saved your personal documents etc.

5. You left the Malware forum on 16 October.
At that time, just prior to you leaving, it was suggested to you that the failure to hibernate may be due to lack of disk space.
You then had less then 10% of disk space free in fact on 11 Oct you had

I have 5.8Gb left on a 67gb hard drive.

WHAT please do you have now

3. Please llst for me all you have tried, to date, after leaving the Malware forum. This will save us both a lot of time.

So in summary please now post the answers to my point 3, 5 and 6.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have read your message today but I don't have enough time to respond to all your questions properly, however I will respond to #5. I will try my best to respond to the rest within the next 24-48hrs. I'll also make sure from now on to let you know when I'll be logging off, and will gladly respond via numbered lists.

5) I currently have 5.71Gb free space on a 67.1GB hard drive. I currently have 1.93Gb of RAM.

Thanks again.
I'm logging off now.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
3) Current problems:

1-computer will NOT shut down. At shut down, I receive blue error screen.

2-previous to above, computer would ONLY restart instead of shut down.
This problem has since ceased and instead has turned into problem #1.

3-cannot access any MS office programs, even though I still have icons located in MS office folder AND the programs actually do open, but do not give me access to them.

4-cannot download Realplayer (get MSVCP90.dll error)

5-cannot locate OLD "Favorites" folder from before the crash

6-temp on motherboard seems to be running a bit hot, averaging about 62-65F. Downloaded speedfan which is helping keep it about 55-58F.

4) I did not reinstall XP. I did a non-destructive system recovery (forgive me, but I'm not 100% on the terminology here. I think it was called a "recovery". It was NOT a "restore" for sure). I did not use any CD as I don't have my originals anymore. The option I selected was from the (I think) f8 menu, so it was already preinstalled on the computer. I find it difficult to believe that this would have wipped my MS Office programs clean off. As mentioned above, I can still see the office icons in the MS Office folder (programs folder/microsoft office/office 10), and when I click on them, the program does in fact open. But, I get an error message saying "Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application"

5) answered yesterday

6) The following is a list of everything I did while IN the malware forum. To date, I have done NOTHING extra OUTside the malware forum. I hope this will be beneficial to you. This will be a bit difficult, but I'm going to try. I'm pretty computer lit, but some things the malware forum guy helped me with was over my head. So instead of just being able to give you the name of the process, I have to paste the entire direction. Sorry.

1-reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /s > \junk.txt
Start, All Programs, Command Prompt
then right click and select Paste or Edit then Paste. The copied line should appear. Hit Enter.
notepad \junk.txt
Copy and Paste the text into a reply.

2-Start, Run, regedit, OK then navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
find the entry in the right pane that says:
PowerdownAfterShutdown
and double click it. a little window should open. Change the 0 to 1 and OK.

3-Start, Run, cmd, OK then type:
shutdown -s and hit Enter. Does it shutdown or does it give you and error message?

4-Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click
Settings under Startup and Recovery. Under System Failure, view the Automatically restart check box.
If the Automatically restart check box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops
unexpectedly. Uncheck it.

5-Successfully defrag'd the C:, which had 15% free space, but that did not affect the shut down issue

6-I went back into the regedit that you had me change 0-1 and changed it back to 0, but that didnt fix the
error that I wrote about in my last post that I keep getting at shut down.

7-It would seem your keyboard driver is causing problems. Does this apply?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313050

8-go into Control Panel > Power Options and on the last tab, disable hibernation temporarily. If the old
C:\hiberfil.sys is still there, you can delete it). Make sure you have as much free disk space as you
can find. Then run another defrag. Then back in power options turn on hibernation again.
http://fivepercent.u...finally-i-hope/ ************************** Under "power settings", I don't have
anything that resembles your last post. All I have is something about turn off the monitor/turn off hard
disks. So, I haven't tried to find the hibernation file on C: because I can't "turn off/on" hibernation.

9-SUMMARY MESSAGE-------- ME "As for the blue screen error message, it all started 1 or 2 days after you had me change the registry key from 0 to 1. Could that be the culprit? i changed it back to 0, but am still getting the screen."
GEEKS REP "Don't see how it could cause the bluescreen since you put it back like it was. If you remember you said you got several Windows updates installed at the same time. One of them may be incompatible with your old keyboard driver. Remember we also told windows to stop on a blue screen and not reboot when we started troubleshooting the restart instead of shutdown problem. Apparently you were getting a blue screen and didn't know it before and now you do so they were right that the automatic reboot on a crash was part of the problem. Since you don't believe me when I tell you you have a bad keyboard driver there is not much I can do for you."

(NOTE: I have since tried to download the keyboard driver but my keyboard is a bit old and Logitech doesn't carry this keyboard driver on their site. U have searched for it online, but I am hesitant to dl it from another site since it may contain a virus.)

10-SUMMARY MESSAGE---------- ME "As for the shut down/restart/stand by not-highlighted problem, it all started a few days after dl SP3. Could this be the culprit? I have many system restore points, so I'm thinking maybe this is the best way to correct the shut down and error screen problem, but I want to avoid this route because I have installed some updates and programs since installing SP3. Anyhow, would this be a solution?"
GEEK REP "If it didn't happen right after installing XP SP3 then it is unlikely to be the culprit. I would be more inclined to look at some of the updates that came later. To back out of SP3 requires uninstalling SP3 then running System Restore to get back to a known state. The XP techs probably have more experience in this area than I do."

As for the MS office issue, I followed the instructions as pasted below:
Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
Click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
Open the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
If you are running Office 2003, right-click Opa11.dat, and then click Properties. If you are running Office XP, right-click Data.dat, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab.

When I nav to that folder, there is no data.dat file. I only have a data.bak file. I did a search on C: for data.dat and it came up empty. (finding only a data.dat file for "windows genuine advantage").

Perhaps the data.bak file can be copied and the copy renamed to data.dat

I renamed it but to no avail.

End of numbered lists 3-6.
Thanks for your time reading all this. I hope it's clear.
Signing off now.

Edited by luminix, 05 December 2011 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. You could have saved yourself all the copy and paste for item 6 in your last post - as what I actually asked was

Please llst for me all you have tried, to date, after leaving the Malware forum. This will save us both a lot of time

However, no problem of course and thank you for posting back with the details.

2. There is, unfortunately no way to ask this favour of you, other than as below.- so I hope you will not be annoyed by my request
a. As shown on my signature notes - please query any of my advice etc.

b. However having now read the whole of your malware thread - all the posts, may I ask while I am helping you to confine your response to dealing with the matters I have suggested and the result of whatever I ask you to run.

c. I do not mean, that you are not of course free to do anything you wish - it is of course your computer.
However you running other possible solutions apart from those I suggest, is perhaps not a good idea.
If I do not manage to solve your problem, then is the appropriate time for you to then try whatever "fix" you believe may work.
HOWEVER the benefit of GeekstoGo is of course that if I fail to solve the problem, I will if you wish to continue on here, then obtain help for you from another member.

d. I do not have the time,to investigate, nor indeed do I find it advisable, - what you have found relating to your problem on a Google search and what is suggested may solve the problem, that you have discovered somewhere.
Therefore UNLESS you consider it Vitally important that I am made aware of something of this nature, would you please not complicate the issue by including such information in your reply.

Now to start and try and solve the problem

Please download this and run the program
http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe

Click on the analyse tab and send me please a copy and paste on your reply.
That is a copy and paste of the results - as they appear on the window of the program please, not as a file which I then have to open.

DO THAT FIRST PLEASE and post those results - then proceed as below .

1. Clean boot it as per my previous instructions.

2. When clean booted - does the computer shut down and restart normally

3. Please forget for the time being ANYTHING connected with Hibernation, its failure to do so, its failure to wake up etc.

4. If the answer to to 2 is YES, then whilst in clean boot test please your Internet, music files, jpegs on slideshow etc DO these and whatever else you normally use startup and run as you would normally expect.

5. If that is the case then go back to msconfig and re- enable ONE item at a time until you have established which is the cause of the problems
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
SO YOU NOW click (still leaving Microsoft Services hidden) to renable - individual items

If you have any programs on your computer that you have installed for monitoring your computer and advising on updates or program such as Carbonite which is an online backup, or a program offering to automatically check for updates and download and install them without any user intervention being necessary from you - these are your first line of approach.

This will take you sometime and there is nothing I can really do to assist.
NOTE - there are programs avilable on the web that suggest they can handle this procedure - automatically - Please note and again do not please be annoyed - I am not interested in using them. There is nothing to better the established procedure - which although time-consuming is foolproof.

6. Please post back when you have a result for me.

IMPORTANT
When establishing your clean boot - check immediately before using the internet that you have NOT prevented your anti-virus program from running. If you have simply return and recheck to enable the A/V to run at startup.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have a question to check my understanding.

After I uncheck all the boxes, am I to assume that the computer should now shut down normally? And then, when I go back and recheck each box, one by one, the machine should continue to shut down/restart normally until I eventually find the culprit which makes the machine shut down wrong/ with error? If my assumption is correct, then what should i do if I uncheck all the boxes, and at the first restart, the machine continues to shut down with error?

fyi, I have not done the clean boot yet. just checking my understanding.

Also, I checked the # of items to uncheck and recheck and I counted about 80. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for your help with this. Signing off now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Are you going to send me the results of the Who Crashed program that I asked you to run please - before you tried the clean boot.

2. For the answer to your question please see this
http://support.micro...kb/331796/en-us

in the section - determine what is causing the problem.

and in relation to

After I uncheck all the boxes, am I to assume that the computer should now shut down normally

READ my post please re the precautions
AND the only real answer is TRY IT please.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
First, Happy Holidays.

Second, as you know, these weeks before the holidays are often extra busy and this is the only reason I have not been able to put more time into my computer's problems. However, now that Christmas season is nearly over, I have quite a bit of extra time for the next two weeks to devote to this and hopefully solve the problems once and for all.

Third, I finally ran the "who crashed" program and the results are pasted in this reply. However, before reading them, you should know one very important update. Last night, I got an error message which prompted me to go to the a MS website where it identified a problem with my logitech keyboard/driver. Then it linked me to the Logitech website to update "something" - I guess a driver. I went to the site, but I could not find the exact keyboard I have which is the Logitech Y-BE22. The closest the web site had was updated software for the Y-BF37. So, I downloaded that software and successfully installed it. There have been 3 important changes you need to know.
1) A logitech logo is showing in the startups section of my window (lower right). It's called "itouch". This used to show up there some time ago, but disappeared (I don't know when).
2) The "standby"/hibernate button is HIGHLIGHTED again. (in other words, it can be selected now) Actually, I thought once this was highlighted again, the computer problem would have been fixed. I was wrong.
3) When trying to shut down or restart, I still get the same type of blue screen with error message, but the message has changed. It now says, "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" with some technical info I can send you if you need it.

So, I think maybe we're getting closer. Anyhow, here is the who crashed report. I hope you can make some sense at deciphering it. Just to restate - this report is AFTER I installed the new keyboard software/driver. This report is the most up-to-date. If you think I should still continue with your previously mentioned fix-it steps, just let me know and I'll get it done before years end. If you think I need to follow different steps, just let me know. Thanks again for your time.

(Still online for about 30min more.)

-------------------------------

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: YOUR-RVLNHR6V8D
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+ AMD586, level: 6
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 2079698944 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2033221632

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 12/22/2011 3:08:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2EDBA)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE33D901C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF82EDBA, 0x1)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/21/2011 8:58:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x155389)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF955389, 0xFFFFFFFFADA43C00, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 11/3/2011 2:48:59 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110311-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2EE1F)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE3E8E01C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF82EE1F, 0x1)

On Mon 8/2/2010 1:54:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080210-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2586D)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFFD40523, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF82586D, 0x0)

On Fri 1/29/2010 2:02:25 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012910-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x4B86F)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0xCD4, 0x20668, 0xFFFFFFFFE1BB0CC8)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 31.50
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 31.50
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 31.50 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation BAD_POOL_CALLER

On Mon 8/17/2009 1:14:21 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081609-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: alcxwdm.sys (ALCXWDM+0xBD00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF804DADF8, 0xFFFFFFFFADA409E8, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\alcxwdm.sys
product: Windows ® WDM driver for Realtek AC'97 Audio(HRTF data Copyright 1994 by MIT Media Lab)
company: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
description: Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver (WDM)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: alcxwdm.sys (Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver (WDM), Realtek Semiconductor Corp.).
Google query: alcxwdm.sys Realtek Semiconductor Corp. KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 8/12/2009 12:49:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081209-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswmon2.sys (aswMon2+0x32F8)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFACF1B2F8, 0xFFFFFFFFAC119840, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswmon2.sys (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswmon2.sys AVAST Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 7/15/2009 5:48:54 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071509-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x4B86F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF85B6BE, 0xFFFFFFFFB9FE2C30, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 31.50
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 31.50
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 31.50 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 1/18/2009 8:46:56 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011809-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: camthwdm.sys (CAMTHWDM+0x1C99)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0xFFFFFFFFECA6A000, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFFF61CCC99)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\camthwdm.sys
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: camthwdm.sys .
Google query: camthwdm.sys CUSTOM_ERROR

On Fri 1/16/2009 3:29:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011609-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: camthwdm.sys (CAMTHWDM+0x1C99)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0xFFFFFFFFEB96C000, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFFF6343C99)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\camthwdm.sys
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: camthwdm.sys .
Google query: camthwdm.sys CUSTOM_ERROR

On Tue 2/12/2008 5:14:01 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021208-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ltmdmnt.sys (ltmdmnt+0x3E7CB)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x203086A, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFF6AE57CB)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ltmdmnt.sys
product: LT V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.26
company: LT
description: LT Windows Modem
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ltmdmnt.sys (LT Windows Modem, LT).
Google query: ltmdmnt.sys LT CUSTOM_ERROR

On Sat 2/9/2008 3:23:38 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020808-03.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x2033F46, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFF5F8A7CB)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ltmdmnt.sys (LT Windows Modem, LT).

On Sat 2/9/2008 2:37:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020808-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ltmdmnt.sys (ltmdmnt+0x3E7CD)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000BE (0xFFFFFFFFF613250D, 0x7F5A121, 0xFFFFFFFF805561A0, 0xA)

On Sat 2/9/2008 1:10:44 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020808-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x20201E5, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFF6B067CB)

On Sun 2/3/2008 5:01:15 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020308-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ltmdmnt.sys (ltmdmnt+0x3E603)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000BE (0xFFFFFFFFF5E91F12, 0x7D17121, 0xFFFFFFFF805561BC, 0xA)

Conclusion

22 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 5 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ltmdmnt.sys (LT Windows Modem, LT)

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 31.50 , NVIDIA Corporation)

aswmon2.sys (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP, AVAST Software)

alcxwdm.sys (Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver (WDM), Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

camthwdm.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. PLEASE SEE MY NOTE IN RED at he end of this post. I do not, I am sorry, have time to deal with your issue now.
I will do so on my return as indicated on the note.

2. All except the first three crash dumps are irrelevant as they predate the issue by YEARS

3. Delete the crash dump files, so that we may start afresh. EXCEPT the ones in December THIS year.

That is My Computer C Drive, Windows, MiniDump

Will continue 27 or 28 Dec.

Merry Xmas