Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not go into standby/hibernate or turn off

• Please log in to reply

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ok. Am logging off now. Enjoy the weekend.

Advertisements

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Happy New Year. I hope it was a good one.

OK, back to this ongoing computer problem.

1) Now that the holidays, I have much more time to devote to solving this for good. There should be no more long time between responses. One day maximum.

2) I did not see any "note in red at the end of this post". Were you referring to a previously note in red talking about a clean boot?

3) In a separate post, I'll post the results of running "who crashed" again.

4) I have a separate important question, not relating to this overall system problem and one that kind of needs solving quickly. I have a simple tech external drive, 500G. I recently saved some WMP video clips, from the same web site, directly onto this external drive in ONE folder over the course of about 10 days. There are about 100 clips. The clips saved the first few days will open with no problem, but the clips saved the later few days get the following error:
"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored". All other clips stored on this drive in any folder play with no problem. I also cannot copy or delete or rename any of the clips that won't open. I have VLC player and Media Classic Player, but neither will open the files that won't already open in WMP.

I have searched online for a solution, but have only found that maybe I need to change some sound settings in control panel, disabling enhancements, which I have not found as an option on my version of XP. I have also found information about security tabs and sharing, but have not changed anything yet. Are you familiar with this problem? Do you have any solution for me?

Thanks. Eric

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
New results from "who crashed".

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: YOUR-RVLNHR6V8D
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+ AMD586, level: 6
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 2079698944 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2033205248

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 12/23/2011 6:06:09 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x606BA)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x500, 0x2, 0xFFFFFFFF89F87818, 0xFFFFFFFF8A2D8308)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 12/22/2011 3:08:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2EDBA)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE33D901C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF82EDBA, 0x1)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/21/2011 8:58:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x155389)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF955389, 0xFFFFFFFFADA43C00, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Just to recap the last 3 weeks to save you some time in re-reading:

1) I have NOT done a clean boot, nor tried the repair you suggested of turning off services in msconfig. This is ONLY due to lack of time.

2) Very coincidentally, a new error popped up a few weeks ago telling me I needed to update my software for my logitech keyboard. I did this.

3) After dl the software, the "stand by/hibernate" option is again lit yellow, however it doesn't work, nor will the computer restart or shut down properly. When doing either of the above 3 options, I still get a blue screen, albeit, with a different error displayed now.

So, what are the next steps?

Thanks, Eric

still logged on for another 30-45min

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I currently have 5.71Gb free space on a 67.1GB hard drive

Due to the intevening time period between our original working together and now, you will not be surpirsed to know that I no longer have the matter in my head.
I have worked on numerous threads in between.

If you have already covered it, forget it, but this free space is insufficient.
10% is the absolute minimum you can work on.

2. In the light of the recent crash dumps
run a
chkdsk /r
Please do not interrupt it is a five stage check.

3. When that has completed run a system file check
That is
sfc /scannow

the chkdsk instructions are here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

The system file check instructions are here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

and HOW to is
Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC. /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC and the /SCANNOW).

If those do not resolve the issue try the clean boot

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have, since we started working on this problem, freed up some extra space. I currently have 11.2G free on a 67.1G Cdrive.

2) After running those 2 checks, do I post anything back to you? Log? Or do I just check to see if the problem is fixed? I can do those checks in about 12-18hrs from now and post back to you. Just fmi, about how long do those checks take to run? Are we talking 10-15min, 1hr, or +2/3hrs? In other words, is it a check I should run while I'm sleeping/at work, or can I run it while making dinner,etc?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Sorry to bring up a new problem in the midst of a larger one, but at the moment, it's quite pressing as these clips are for a presentation I need for work in about a week.

Do you have any ideas on this problem?

I have a separate important question, not relating to this overall system problem and one that kind of needs solving quickly. I have a simple tech external drive, 500G. I recently saved some WMP video clips, from the same web site, directly onto this external drive in ONE folder over the course of about 10 days. There are about 100 clips. The clips saved the first few days will open with no problem, but the clips saved the later few days get the following error:
"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored". All other clips stored on this drive in any folder play with no problem. I also cannot copy or delete or rename any of the clips that won't open. I have VLC player and Media Classic Player, but neither will open the files that won't already open in WMP.

I have searched online for a solution, but have only found that maybe I need to change some sound settings in control panel, disabling enhancements, which I have not found as an option on my version of XP. I have also found information about security tabs and sharing, but have not changed anything yet. Are you familiar with this problem? Do you have any solution for me?

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Have to log off now. Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. One problem at a time PLEASE

2. Chkdsk will produce a result on the blue chkdsk screen when it runs after the restart.
When it completes the computer will automatically restart
If you DO NOT see ther result we will obtain it later.

3. Scannow does not report a result unless it cannot fix any errors - the rest of the information regarding BOTH are in the links.

That saves me pages of typing.

You post back when YOU can spend time solving the issue, there is NO RUSH whatsoever as far as I am concerned.

HOW LONG - 30 mins for chkdsk and maybe 15 for scannow.
Have the XP disc ready for the scannow - on the link - may request media.
If you do not have it see how far you can progress without it.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Checkdsk and Scandsk is done.

I ran chkdsk via the following instructions from the MS web page.
How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer
1.Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2.Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3.Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4.Use one of the following procedures:
◦To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
◦To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
◦To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

I did not run it from cmd. I hope this doesn't affect the results.

I did not get any report from either scan. Furthermore, the computer did not restar. I actually ran the chkdsk on C:, and also my internal har drive d: and my external j: -- I got no reports from any scan, however the scan of my external drive, the one having the problems I wrote you about previously, took about 5hrs, while the other scans only took 20-40min.

I just clicked restart, to see if this has fixed the problem, but currently, it is sitting at the "windows in shutting down" screen. It has been stuck for almost 15min. It does not say it is installing any updates, however prior to restart I received a mesg saying that there were updates ready to install.

I am currently writing from my laptop. Will be logged on for about another 30-45min.

Eric

Advertisements

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I'm not sure what to do. The computer is stuck on "shutting down". It has been on this screen for about 20min. It does not say it is installing updates. Should I do a hard shut down (holding in power button)? How long should I wait?

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Computer continued to hang on "shutting down" screen, so after about 50min, I decided to do a hard shut down. I waited about 10-15sec to boot up again, thinking that "restart problems" have been normal for this computer.

When I restarted, windows seemed to start normally, showing the windows logo, then it gave me the "console screen" (for just 2 sec asking if I want to start normally or another 2 options). I did nothing, so it would boot normally, and after this, i got the "black screen of death". This is where the screen is black and grey with lines running throughout it. I believe it was the same screen I got in August when the computer crashed hard and started all these problems.

At the moment, I writing from my laptop. I'm not planning to reboot the desktop (the one with the problem) until after I hear back from you about what you think is going on.

Thanks. Eric

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am unsure of what you have run in respect of chkdsk.
Do not concern yourself with the other drives.

Go My Computer
Right click the c drive,
click properties
click tools
click error checking,
click check now
click to check both boxes - that is file system errors and check for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
click start
agree the message to run the check on restart and do so.
The chkdsk will then start, after so many seconds on a screen indicating the progress of the check
When it has completed, it will then automatically restart the computer
If you do not see the results on the screen before it restarts we will get them later.

The reason the chkdsk on the external drive took so long is due to the size of the drive. ie: its capacity.

The SFC check will not report a result as such, It may ask you for the XP CD if it requires it.
If the system files are all correct or all repaired from backups it will simply exit.

When you saw this message

It does not say it is installing any updates, however prior to restart I received a mesg saying that there were updates ready to install.

You should have clicked on the message and followed the install procedure.

Clearly you cannot leave it now stuck on shutting down.
If Ctrl Alt Del do not produce Task manager, then force a shut down with the power button.
If it does activate task manager what applications are running

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your post 27 was not visible when I started to type my post 28 and then got interrupted by a phone call

Go F8 keep tapping it after first post screen

When the advanced boot options appears try in the following order

1. Last Known Good.
2. Safe Mode
3. VGA mode

Report back which if any work. please

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply.

As for the chkdsk, I did as you just desribed. In your previous mesg, you said "run a chkdsk /r" and you sent me a link for the MS web page. I followed the instructions on the web page, similar to what you just sent me. The ONLY difference is I only checked 1 box (you said click both: "click to check both boxes - that is file system errors and check for and attempt recovery of bad sectors." as this is what the web page said was a chkdsk/r.

As for installing updates, it said it had them to install, I assume the computer already had downloaded them. it did not give me any other option.

I previously got the black screen of death. Should I try a normal start now? I'm quite nervous that the computer has once again experienced a serious, fatal, non-recoverable crash.