Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not go into standby/hibernate or turn off

• Please log in to reply

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ok. I just saw your post 29.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
luminix

Checking both boxes is commissioning a chkdsk /r

which is what I said to run

chkdsk /r
Please do not interrupt it is a five stage check.

However it is a matter of little consequence at the moment -

Should I try a normal start now?

I am NOT sure if your last was posted before you saw my 29

the answer is NO please do as I asked., in my 29

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
OK, a little sigh of relief. Last known good worked. It seems to have booted up normally. I have not run nor opened anything, but my desktop looks the same as before. It is sitting now at desktop.

Now what?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Unfortunately
NOTHING at the moment.

Offline until late about 2330 hrs.

I would backup all important data to another drive.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok. I'll let the computer sit until u have time to respond. I won't do the chkdsk scan (with both boxes checked) or any other scan until you tell me to. I'll look for another reply sometime after 0000 GMT to see if you had time to respond as to the next step. (but I may not be logged on at the same time as you, so I cant promise an immediate response.)

All important files have been backed up.

Thanks,

logging off now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Go start, right click My Computer, click Properties, when that window opens, click the hardware tab and then click the device manager button, do you have any warnings against any entries on devices.
If so expand that entry clicking on the + sign and then on the actual device, please tell me what it is and what the warning is.

On the View tab in device manager click to shown hidden devices and then check again please for any entries there, with warnings.
IF THERE ARE ERRORS DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER PLEASE - just post the details

2. Go Start, program, accessories, system tools, diskcleanup and run it please, then when it opens click to check all boxes in the white window and then click OK

3. Go start programs, accessories, system tools, disk defrag and when that opens click to check C drive and then click the analyse button. Does it report a defrag is necessary. If so click the report button and see what percentage of data and file fragmentation.
If less than 10% run it. please.
If considerably more download this and see if you can get this to run
http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

Please DO NOT use any other program offered by Auslogics and ONLY run the defrag on the program, not the defrag and optimize.

4. If those run OK
Download this and run this please
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

The screen when the program completes will tell you the amount of files cleaned and will tell you if a reboot is necessary.
The screen has a small flashing graphics icon, if you are susceptible at all be aware please

5. When you have done this please post with how matters are and how much was cleaned up in diskcleanup and what was the fragmentation state.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I am logged on and beginning the responses to your last post.

I will be logged on almost all day today as I am not working, and I can dedicate all day to working on this problem. Maybe we can even finish it today...perhaps this may sound very ambitious (since I don't know your schedule), but after preliminarily checking your "device manager" instructions, it seems you have found something important and perhaps we are getting close to finding the real problem. So, if it's not a hard problem to fix, maybe we can do it today.

Will post back very shortly with the results from your instructions.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
1) I assume by "warnings", you mean anything with the yellow !. Here's what I found:

There are 3 total. I will copy and paste the info I can find here:

1 - Name: unknown device.
Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Device status : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.
Driver provider, date, version = unknown or unavailable.
Driver signer = not digitally signed
When I click on "driver detail on the "driver tab", I get - c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\seehcri.sys The provider says "sony ericcson mobile communications, file version 1.01, copyright Sony Ericcson.
When I click on the "details" tab, I get -
ROOT\SEEHCRI\0000
The "resources" tab shows nothing.

PERSONAL NOTE: I don't know "exactly" what this is. I used to have a sony ericsson phone a few years ago and installed its software to sync with my compu. However, I no longer have this phone nor need any software with this phone. If this is causing a problem with the computer, I don't care if I keep it and update it, or delete it.

2 -
Name: Logitech mouse class filter Driver
Device type: Non-Plug and Play Drivers
Device status : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
Under "driver" tab - service name = lmoufltr
Status = stopped
Under "details" tab = ROOT\LEGACY_LMOUFLTR\0000
not showing any resources tab

PERSONAL NOTE: This is probably the logitech mouse that I currently use and like. I want to keep it. Since the crash, I reinstalled the mouse software from CD. It seemed to install correctly - since the crash I haven't noticed ANY performance issues. HOWEVER, one peculiar thing is that this mouse has a thumb button which used to be set on "double click". After installing the software again, I couldn't get the double click to assign to the thumb button, even after researching it for several hours on line. So I decided to use an "alternative" way. I installed a program called "x-mouse button control v.2.2". It has worked perfectly ever since installing it.

3 - Name: mrtRate
Device type: Non-Plug and Play Drivers
Device status : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
Under "driver" tab - service name = mrtRate
Status = stopped
Under "details" tab = ROOT\LEGACY_mrtRate\0000
not showing any resources tab

PERSONAL NOTE: I have no idea what this is. I do not recognize any part of the name.

These are all the warnings I see, including checking "show hidden devices". This completes the list.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
2 - I have run disk cleanup. It recommended, as it always does, to compress old files, saving about 4gb of space. I opted to not compress these files. For one, I have an old computer with a relatively slower processor. For two, I'd rather delete some old files that I don't actually need, instead of compressing all of them.

If compressing files becomes absolutely necessary, I will. But for the time being, I'd like to wait on this option.

Hence, the disk cleanup will free up about 500MB.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
3 - Disk Defrag recommened a defrag. It showed 23% file fragmentation. I successfully dl the Auslogics program and it is currently in analyse.

Advertisements

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ONE QUESTION.

I don't know if you're logged on or not, but if so, do I need to reboot after defrag? After the ugly crash of yesterday, I'm hesitant to do so.

Auslogics is currently at 33% finished.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
3 - Disk Defrag is finished. It started with a total of "17% fragmented". Now, after 100% completion, it reads "10% fragmented". Here is the summary pasted below.

Disk Size 67.20 GB
Free Space Size 11.39 GB
Clusters 17614799
Sectors per cluster 8
Bytes per sector 512
Started defragmentation 1/6/2012 2:03:14 PM
Completed defragmentation 1/6/2012 2:26:25 PM
Elapsed time 00:23:10
Total Files 222596
Total Directories 18478
Fragmented Files 8293
Defragmented Files 8233
Skipped Files 60
Fragmentation Before 16.57%
Fragmentation After 10.26%

Should I now run the computers disk defrag? Should I reboot?

With no answer from you, I'll assume NO to the previous questions and proceed to step 4.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
FYI - I clicked on the "system health" tab at the bottom of the Auslogic Disk Defrag box. It says 38 junk files, 11 registery errors, 0 security.

I did not run any other service from Auslogic. Only defrag.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
4 - the oldtimer scan is finished. The program required a reboot. I rebooted, and there was NO black screen like yesterday. However, it did give me the same blue screen that is the main problem now and the reason for me seeking help. I'll attach a picture of the screen so you can see the error in the next mesg.

All scans you asked are completed successfully. Now I want to ask about how close are we to solving this problem. Do you know what's wrong? Do you have fixes? It seems to me that with all the info I've given, we should know basically what the problem is and should be working on the fixes.

Whats the next step?

Thanks for your time. Eric

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Here are 2 pics of the blue screen I get at shut down/restart

Attached Thumbnails

• Blue error screen 1.JPG
  • Blue error screen 2.JPG