Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not go into standby/hibernate or turn off

• Please log in to reply

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Am logging off now.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have read YOUR TEN posts in reply to my last one.

However it appears you, with respect did NOT read the first paragraph of mine

1. Go start, right click My Computer, click Properties, when that window opens, click the hardware tab and then click the device manager button, do you have any warnings against any entries on devices.
If so expand that entry clicking on the + sign and then on the actual device, please tell me what it is and what the warning is.

On the View tab in device manager click to shown hidden devices and then check again please for any entries there, with warnings.
IF THERE ARE ERRORS DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER PLEASE - just post the details

It was in CAPITALS and underlined

PLEASE read my posts carefully and do as I suggest.

1. NOW go back to device manager and with reference to the entry relating to the Sony Ericsson item as you posted below

I don't know "exactly" what this is. I used to have a sony ericsson phone a few years ago and installed its software to sync with my compu. However, I no longer have this phone nor need any software with this phone. If this is causing a problem with the computer, I don't care if I keep it and update it, or delete it.

Open the entry and if the option to disable is available select it. click apply and Ok as required.. If that entry is not available, select uninstall.
Now go to Control Panel Add/Remove programs and look for the entry for Sony Ericsson and uninstall that program.
Reboot the computer.
Go back to device manager and see if that entry has how disappeared..

2. Go Back to device manager and re the entry mrtrate, this is an issue with Quicken software see this and follow the procedure
http://support.micro...5&Product=winxp

Here is the link to Quicken
http://quicken.intui...pport/index.jsp

Alternatively if you do NOT use any program that relies on the Quicken software simply uninstall it.
YOU will I am sure find that you have somewhere some accounting software installed.
If you do not use it uninstall it, if you still use it follow the advice and update it.

3. Logitech mouse driver
Name: Logitech mouse class filter Driver
Device type: Non-Plug and Play Drivers
Device status : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
Under "driver" tab - service name = lmoufltr
Status = stopped
Under "details" tab = ROOT\LEGACY_LMOUFLTR\0000
not showing any resources tab

From your previous post
"PERSONAL NOTE: This is probably the logitech mouse that I currently use and like. I want to keep it. Since the crash, I reinstalled the mouse software from CD. It seemed to install correctly - since the crash I haven't noticed ANY performance issues. HOWEVER, one peculiar thing is that this mouse has a thumb button which used to be set on "double click". After installing the software again, I couldn't get the double click to assign to the thumb button, even after researching it for several hours on line. So I decided to use an "alternative" way. I installed a program called "". It has worked perfectly ever since installing it."

This is the link to that mouse button control you have installed.
http://www.highrez.co.uk/
x-mouse button control v.2.2

It is uneeded Logitech provide the driver that is needed.
Uninstall it.
We have no way of knowing what problems it is causing.
After uninstalling return to device manager and see what the situation is.
If still a problem go to the Logitech site and download the lastest driver for that model mouse.
Follow the instructuions for installing and/or uninstalling any other Logitech mouse driver.
Here is the link
http://www.logitech....pport-downloads

FINALLY and please do not be annoyed - had you have followed my advice on the previous post, we MAY have made more progress.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Went to device manager. Found the sony ericsson device. Clicked disable. Went to Control panel, uninstall, looked for the sony ericsson program, found nothing - absolutely nothing remotely familiar to sony ericsson. Went into C:, program folder, and found a sony ericsson folder with 2 programs there. Uninstalled one program from one folder. Then, went to start, programs, sony ericcson, uninstall, and uninstalled the other. Reboot. Upon reboot, the program gave me a message saying it found new hardware and to press continue to install hardware. I pressed stop. But, it seemed to reinstall anyhow. Went to devise manager, the device is still shown with a red x. Went to start, programs, sony ericsson and the program I just uninstalled is still there. Went to control panel, still see nothing for sony ericsson. Don't know what to do. Stopped here.

As for my previous days work, I did exactly as you asked. With all due respect, when you said "do not proceed further", I understood that to mean with instruction1. I never imagined you meant with all steps. There are many options to select in device manager, which I didn't, as I understood you wanted me to only report what I saw, instead of selecting "repair" or "reinstall" driver. In the future, with all due respect, if you want people to better understand your instructions, perhaps you could use some extra words to make them clearer. For instance, in this case, if you had written, "do not proceed any further with the next steps. Stop here", then I would have never spent that time doing steps 2-4.

I mean the above with all respect and only as a suggestion to help make your service better. We all appreciate the time you give to helping people you've never met.

Am logging off. Waiting for next step.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You are correct.
I see now how you read it.

IF THERE ARE ERRORS DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER PLEASE - just post the details

I was trying to ensure that we could deal with the errors in device manager, before you posted another LONG or mutiple post reply.

Unfortunately due to my note NOT being ABSOLUTELY clear, I resumed on your thread to find
YOUR TEN POSTS IN REPLY

Good Luck with the problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
If there are no objections may I pitch in?

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks phillpower2 for pitching in.

Here's the link you requested. http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24739359

Everything with the scan seemed to proceed normally.

A few things/questions...

1) Am I to assume Mcboatmaster is no longer helping with the problem? It's not a big deal. I just need someone to help, but would like to know who'll be most helping me, that's all.

2) If you've read the posts, it seems to me, in my unqualified opinion, that Mcboatmaster was close to finding the problem. He seemed to accurately find problems with some drivers that are probably causing the bad shutdowns (reference, his last instruction examining device manager on C:/). In fact, in my opinion, it seemed as though he and I were about 80-90% to the finish line. Anyhow, it's just my opinion, and I'd be very grateful if you or anyone can help me get across the finish line as soon as possible.

3) To bring you quickly up to speed on this problem, I had a bad crash in Aug 2011, due to still unknown reasons. Anyhow, someone on the malware forum helped me a lot over about 2 months cleaning up about 90% of the crash recovery issues. In fact, the machine is running close to as well as before the crash. However, I still have a few nagging problem, the main one being this blue error screen that pops up during shut down or restart (this is better explained in the earlier threads). All along, the problem seemed to point to some bad drivers wrt my logitech equipment. Maybe they didnt get re-installed correctly after the crash. Who knows. Thus, the checking of device manager, and now this pcppitstop test seems to confirm this. I just don't know how to fix it. And believe me, I've tried for hrs before coming to the forum.

So, do you have a next step for me? Thanks for helping out.

PS - in the summary log from pcpitstop, it shows "all" the programs I currently have running on my system. Some of these were automatically reinstalled after the crash and are not used by me. I uninstalled about 75% of the programs I KNEW I didn't need, but there are probably some more in this list. So if you see some programs that I don't need, are dangerous to have, or I probably don't need, just let me know and I'll either check it out closer, or just uninstall it. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
Hi luminix
I like colleague Macboatmaster reside in the UK and will be offline until 1900 GMT today due to work commitments, you can however make progress in the meantime by addressing the issues identified in the url;

Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, I will check back later and look more in depth at the PCPitstop results and offer further guidance on how to proceed next,

For the record I am only offering another angle on attempting to resolve your PC troubles, we all work together for the common good here at GTG. :thumbsup:

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the reply. I know you have to work and understand you'll reply with more info when you can.

I went through the suggestions from PCPitstop and here are some comments on them:

Increase Free Space (Drive C:)Performance21% Free14129 MBPosted Image --- Already freed up as much space as possible for the moment
Change Internet Receive BufferPerformancedefaultPosted Image --- Would like to do this, but it is a registry edit and I want to make sure it's necessary before I go messing with this area,
Craplet ScanConfig2 CrapletsPosted Image --- I tried to do this I couldn't find the 2 craplets they mentioned. Also, I see a lot of programs checked in startup and I think more than 2 of them are unnecessary, but I don't know which ones to uncheck. I'd like help with this, but I don't think it's the main cause of my main problem.
Reduce System Restore CapacityPerformance45783 MBPosted Image --- I don't think I want to do this one just yet
Update Mice and other pointing devices DriverDrivers7/1/20015.1.2600.0Posted Image --- I think this is the main culprit of my problems. I'd like help fixing this. I don't know how. Mcboatmaster seemed to be close at identifying this as a problem, but had not given me a fix yet.

Thanks for your time.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Have I been dropped by this forum? Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Have I been dropped by this forum? Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

I was reviewing your last reply when you post this (note the time and date of both posts)

Advertisements

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
OK thanks. I didn't know if your earlier 2 posts meant that you were offering to help out with this, or if you were just making a one time suggestion for the pcpitstop. I really think the problem is with the mouse driver.

Since my last post, and in reference to Mcboatmasters post #47, instruction 2, I succesfully uninstalled the mrtrate. I also updated the sony ericsson software.

However, #1, I havent been successful with the mouse driver yet.
#2, I want to uninstall the sony ericcson software, but for some reason cannot uninstall it. When I click uninstall, a box opens with green bars. The bars go 95% of the way, then the box closes and nothing happens. Again, there is no sony ericcson software listed in add/remove programs.

Thanks again for your time.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
have to log off now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Thanks for the reply. I know you have to work and understand you'll reply with more info when you can.

I went through the suggestions from PCPitstop and here are some comments on them:

Increase Free Space (Drive C:)Performance21% Free14129 MBPosted Image --- Already freed up as much space as possible for the moment
Change Internet Receive BufferPerformancedefaultPosted Image --- Would like to do this, but it is a registry edit and I want to make sure it's necessary before I go messing with this area,
Craplet ScanConfig2 CrapletsPosted Image --- I tried to do this I couldn't find the 2 craplets they mentioned. Also, I see a lot of programs checked in startup and I think more than 2 of them are unnecessary, but I don't know which ones to uncheck. I'd like help with this, but I don't think it's the main cause of my main problem.
Reduce System Restore CapacityPerformance45783 MBPosted Image --- I don't think I want to do this one just yet
Update Mice and other pointing devices DriverDrivers7/1/20015.1.2600.0Posted Image --- I think this is the main culprit of my problems. I'd like help fixing this. I don't know how. Mcboatmaster seemed to be close at identifying this as a problem, but had not given me a fix yet.

Thanks for your time.

Please note that these are recommended fixes which are being suggested to improve the stability of your computer, yourself and others have spent a lot of time attempting to resolve this issue yet you now choose to decline to follow the guidance offered by the PCPitstop results and I am not sure why, troubleshooting is a process of elimination and 3 of the 5 fixes suggested may be the cause of your present issue/s, one of the suggestions is to update your Logitech USB MouseMan Wheel driver with the driver required available to download from there.

From the software tab I noticed you have the following installed;

avast! Free Antivirus 12/6/11
LiveUpdate 1.80 (Symantec Corporation) (1.80.19.0) 8/29/11
PC-Doctor for Windows AV and System tool. 8/29/11

Having more than one AV software is not advisable as it can make your system unstable, your system can also become unstable if you do not uninstall AV software correctly by using the products own uninstaller as even a trace of another AV program can cause this, LiveUpdate 1.80 (Symantec Corporation) is an example of such a trace, try getting rid of it using the correct tool https://www-secure.s...n=1&pvid=f-home you should then do the same with either Avast or the PC-Doctor AV software see http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/ for further guidance on this.

The above is only guidance and whether you choose to follow it or not is entirely your choice but as I have said it is a process of elimination and what I have highlighted are all potential causes of system instability.

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks so much for the reply. Especially the note about the duplicate antivirus ware.

LiveUpdate 1.80 and

PC-Doctor for Windows was

automatically installed after the crash and I didn't realize they were there. I've never even heard of PC Doctor. I definitely want them off my computer. I'm going to try to get them uninstalled immediately.

As for the recommended fixes by pcpitstop, all I meant was I want to explore other fixes before those that I'm hesitant about. Which, at the moment, is how to update this mouse driver. I'm still working on this.

Perhaps you could answer another question for me. It should be much simpler than my blue stop screen problem.

I have a

simple tech external drive, 500G

. I recently saved some WMP video clips, from the same web site, directly onto this external drive in ONE folder over the course of about 10 days. There are about 100 clips. The clips saved the first few days will open with no problem, but the clips saved the later few days get the following error:

"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored".

<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; ">

All other clips stored on this drive in any folder play with no problem. I also cannot copy or delete or rename any of the clips that won't open. I have VLC player and Media Classic Player, but neither will open the files that won't already open in WMP.

<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; ">

I have searched online for a solution, but have only found that maybe I need to change some sound settings in control panel, disabling enhancements, which I have not found as an option on my version of XP. I have also found information about security tabs and sharing, but have not changed anything yet nor does that seem to get at the real problem. I also found some comments about having to "take control of the drive". I don't understand this either, especially since I've already stored videos on this drive, in this folder and they play with no problem. So, I'm really coming up empty here.

I cannot find any solution to this problem. Do you know anything about this? If not, do you someone who might? Thanks again for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

As for the recommended fixes by pcpitstop, all I meant was I want to explore other fixes before those that I'm hesitant about. Which, at the moment, is how to update this mouse driver. [/bI'm still working on this.

From my previous reply;

troubleshooting is a process of elimination and 3 of the 5 fixes suggested may be the cause of your present issue/s, [b]one of the suggestions is to update your Logitech USB MouseMan Wheel driver with the driver required available to download from there

Perhaps you could answer another question for me. It should be much simpler than my blue stop screen problem.

Sorry no, two separate topics are not discussed outside of the relevant threads, this avoids confusion and people going around in circles and potentially damaging their computer.