Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer crashes trying to open folder containing video

• Please log in to reply

androsnick

androsnick

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Reading through the posts on the net it seems others have experienced similar fault but via different causes. When using Canon Power Shot G9 camera and taking mainly photos but also video clips. Downloaded to computer (automatically creates a dated sub folder for each day that has something to download). On opening the folder containg the new video clips the 'Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close' box opens. Attempts to close the window don't work other than Alt Ctrl Del -and closing the 'not responding' prog. Older video clips captured on same camera don't do this, it has only happened in last couple of days. I assumed it was a virus (I'd transferred the clip to my daughters laptop by putting the card in the built in reader - haven't seen her since to see if she had any problems!) So I was unable to open the folder (it was during the process of creating a thumbnail on the folder the crash happens, one folder had ~30+ sub folders and the thumbs all started to populate the folders ok until it got to the recent one containing the downloaded clip and then it crashed) I tried to open the folder and change the view before it got to creating a thumbnail but the pc was always quicker than me and crashed before I could alter the drop down view menu. I had to use Nero disc burning software to back up the 29 folders without the video then delete the whole folder. I tried virus scan and malware scan on the camera card - nothing, I tried scanning the hard disc with same progs - nothing? In the end - as I was keen to save the video clips, I downloaded them again from the camera into a separate folder, used a DVD authoring prog to open the video without having to open the folder and then saved the video in a different folder. That worked fine, I now have a copy of the video which doesn't crash explorer. However, I tried formatting the camera card and then shooting a video clip, downloaded it to the pc - it crashed when opening the folder again.
Sorry for the lengthy prose! Why does explorer cope with older clips but the new ones crash it? Is it a virus or malware do you think or some setting that has been changed on the camera/card ? Would like to resolve the issue if anyone can help.
Thanks

Advertisements

androsnick

androsnick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No comments at all so far - is there any more info I should supply that will help or is it just an unusual one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you think it might be a infection the I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here