Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help! A disk needs formatting...

• Please log in to reply

ComputerGirl76

ComputerGirl76

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
OMG, I had just written something on Word and when I tried to save it (to a floppy diskette that I have been using for over a year to store my writings on) my computer told me "The disk in drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format now?" How can it not be formatted when I've been using it. Last time I put the disk in and opened something up from it it worked fine. Now...I don't know what is going on! The disk in question was not stored under anything or near anything magnetic. It was in a desk drawer on top of everything else, albeit not in anything protective, such as a sleeve. The diskette it not damaged that I could see, nor is there any dust on/in it.

If I choose to format it will I lose everything that I know is on it? Is there any way to recover my stuff? Any way at all? I'd be devastated if I can't get that stuff back! :) :yes: :)

If anyone can help me out I'd be greatly appreciative.

Advertisements

pipeman

pipeman

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ComputerGirl76,

Welcome to Geeks to Go. I will try to help you diagnose the problem. First, you are correct, in that if you choose to format that disk, you will loose everything. Second, if at any time, you gain access to the information on the disk in question, immediately copy its contents to a second location, like the hard drive, so you have a back up and this doesn't happen again.

Is there another computer, you have access to, that you can try the floppy disk in? This will let you know if the disk is the problem.

Do you have another disk you can try in your computer to see if it recognizes anything on that disk? This will let you know if the drive is the problem.

Please let me know the results in your next post.