Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista File Encryption Problem

• Please log in to reply

Steve_555

Steve_555

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please could someone help!

I recently formatted my C drive to conduct a clean install, nothing was wrong with the PC, just a bit slow with all the clutter that had been built up over time. I transferred a backup of our family files to a removable HDD and set about the formatting and reinstalling Vista.

All went well. I reconnected the removable drive and this is where the problems start.

Some of the folders were encrypted via Vista some time ago, I remember seeing some files (under properties, general, advanced) having 'green text' files names instead of the normal 'black text' - this had never caused a problem before. I can copy the the black file names back to my documents without any problems however when I try to move the green file names access is denied. I have tried the following:

1. Confirmed and set owner permission to 'Steve administrator' (I am the only user at present on the PC anyway)
2. When I try and un-tick the 'encrypt contents to secure data' box it comes up with 'you will need to provide administrator permission' I select ok however it comes up access denied.

I have gone through ever file and folder to check the security settings are set for Steve administrator to have full access. Initially the folders were green text, somehow I managed to change these to black text however every file inside the folders is green - I cant view, cut/copy any file type what so ever.

Please, please, please can someone help. Many thanks for taking the time to read my problem.

Steve

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Sorry to say this, but your files have been encrypted. Since you have reinstalled Windows, you can no longer access the encrypted files. There is no way to recover them AFAIK.

Steve_555

Steve_555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi devper94.

Thanks for your repy.
I respect and understand your comments but surely Microsoft mut have envisaged this problem? I have lost our entire family album :)
Is there anyone you know that may be able to help? I can see the file size so the documents are still there... is there any programme I can buy to recover the files?

Thank you ever so much for your advice

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Sorry, but since the files are protected with strong encryption, and the key is likely gone from your system, I don't think MS will be able to recover the encrypted files. You can still see the file size, but the contents have been encrypted, so you cannot access it.