Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jerky Mouse

• Please log in to reply

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I recently had a problem where explorer wasn't loading properly, after uninstalling almost everything I have, ( but mainly getting rid of norton anti virus ) my system has got back on track, however i'm stuck with one problem which I can't find the solution to.

As soon as windows loads, the mouse begins to stutter, move it side to side and it will just randomly jerk and stutter across the screen. If I play music, the same thing happens, I've checked for all spyware/viruses, i've defragged drive, uninstalled near enough everything. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Kevin

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.

What type of mouse do you have, a ball type or the optical type or the wireless?
Try cleaning the mouse, unplug it then re-plug again, reboot. If it still doesn't solve it try to test other mouse if same problem is experienced.

What anti-malware programs did you used recently? Please read HERE.

Try an online antivirus scan at Trend Micro or Panda Scan.

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, I have a microsoft intellimouse (optical one). I've tried another mouse, but it doesn't seem mouse related, its ok in safe mode.

Things I have ran on my system recently include:

Windows Defrag, CCleaner, Cleanup, Tune-up, Norton Anti Virus Scan (which i've now removed), AVG Scan, Online Trend Scan, Lavasoft, Spybot, I've also removed near all programs, this problem came at the same time my entire system slowed up, but that seems ok now, this one has just stayed.

Kev

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
1.) try adjusting the pointer speed from the control panel > mouse > motion

2.) try removing your mouse drivers from the control panel > system > device manager, then re-install it.

Note: when you remove the mouse drivers, your mouse will not totally respond so make use of the hot keys, ( TAB KEY -move around tabs, ENTER KEY - confirmation, SPACE BAR- check/uncheck checkbox, ARROW KEYS - navigate bet. options.) After removing the driver, to re-install just navigate through the REFRESH button, mouse will be back to normal.

Edited by kool808, 02 June 2005 - 09:22 AM.

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Its not only affecting the mouse though, its also affecting any multimedia such as music and videos as they are stuttering too, could it be something to do with IRQ's or any conflicts between anything??

Kev

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
First thing that came up my mind was that some kind of malware was not 100% exterminated from your system. I gave the suggestions just to test whether it was hardware and settings related however, based on the results it could be something else. Try uninstalling IRQ, run another malware tests and an online virus scan for a second opinion. Observe it, if same thing happens then IRQ is not the source.

Try Spy Sweeper, found just below my signature. Download and install its 30-day trial then scan, if you love it buy it, if out of budget uninstall it... :tazz:

You may want to read THIS

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I've tried all software to try and get rid of the problem but nothing solved it... however, I did find a smart restore button on the packard bell machine I have, it allowed me to do a factory default and get it exactly as I got it a couple of months ago, so I backed everything up and did that, and its completely back to normal. Not a clue what the problem was but its all back and running quick now so i'm a lot happier!

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I've tried all software to try and get rid of the problem but nothing solved it... however, I did find a smart restore button on the packard bell machine I have, it allowed me to do a factory default and get it exactly as I got it a couple of months ago, so I backed everything up and did that, and its completely back to normal. Not a clue what the problem was but its all back and running quick now so i'm a lot happier!

Thanks for any help.

Kevin