Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and Random Laptop Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi everybody - I've owned my laptop for several years now and save for occasional viruses and manufacturer's defects in the case design never really experienced many problems. However, after about a month of living at my University, I've begun experiencing really bizzare problems. Namely the computer will seem to shut down for no reason while I'm afk, I'll just suddenly hear it stop and reboot. I finally found out today it was apparantly BSOD-ing while my back was turned. I pulled up the problem file after rebooting and this is what it says:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007f
BCP1: 00000008
BCP2: 805D3130
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111711-01.dmp
C:\Users\TEST\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-112523-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\TEST\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6AD3.tmp.version.txt

Along with this, my RAM has begun clocking in around 90-95% every now and then where it didn't before. I can usually kill some of the programs and bring it back down to about 58-60% but it's scary nonetheless. I'm not sure if this is related to the University servers, or something else disrupting the flow of the computer. It's on a cooling stand so I know it can't be overheating (it's been able to get much warmer than it's getting now).

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, I'm having kittens because it always seems to pick the night before a major exam to remind me it's acting up and I don't have the $1500 to buy a new laptop, I need my baby to live a few more years. Thank you all.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Quick Edit: This goes back until last year, I'm gonna take a stab and say it's just the first 5 entries that are relevant at this point but I'm including everything for consistency.

Quick Edit 2: Following the suggestion of the program and my own curiosity I googled pwipf6.sys and found it's related to Webroot software which reminded me of something I wasn't sure was relevant initially - since coming to the university I'm periodically informed that webroot detects FIN scan, could the FIN scan issue and these crash dumps possibly be correlated, or are they two seperate issues entirely?

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: JAKE
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 AMD586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2078142464 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1997541376

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 11/17/2011 9:30:37 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: pwipf6.sys (pwipf6+0x13DAA)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF805D3130, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\pwipf6.sys
product: Privacyware Filter Driver
company: Privacyware/PWI, Inc.
description: pwipf6
Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: pwipf6.sys (pwipf6, Privacyware/PWI, Inc.).
Google query: pwipf6.sys Privacyware/PWI, Inc. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x1736)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF805D3130, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

On Tue 11/15/2011 8:38:47 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111511-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF80152000, 0x0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: pwipf6.sys (pwipf6, Privacyware/PWI, Inc.).

On Wed 11/9/2011 3:30:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini110811-02.dmp

On Wed 11/9/2011 3:24:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini110811-01.dmp

On Sun 9/18/2011 5:16:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091711-01.dmp

On Fri 9/16/2011 7:56:11 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091611-01.dmp

On Mon 9/12/2011 11:59:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091211-01.dmp

On Wed 4/27/2011 12:56:33 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDB3F)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD5228, 0xFFFFFFFF85FE2030, 0xFFFFFFFF84437968)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 4/23/2011 12:14:28 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042311-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD54F8, 0xFFFFFFFF8603A030, 0xFFFFFFFF856A3140)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 11/19/2010 1:53:11 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111810-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDB8D)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD57C8, 0xFFFFFFFF86450030, 0xFFFFFFFF843F0008)

On Fri 10/29/2010 2:21:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102910-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD5808, 0xFFFFFFFF85FDD030, 0xFFFFFFFF858E61F8)

Conclusion

12 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

pwipf6.sys (pwipf6, Privacyware/PWI, Inc.)

ntkrpamp.exe

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Edited by Itachirumon, 17 November 2011 - 05:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks like all the errors since September 12th have been caused by the same driver.
It is a windows system file called pwipf6.sys or in simple terms Privacyware Filter Driver by Privacyware/PWI, Inc...
Lets check the System files to see if it finds the file to be corrupt.

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It says it did not find any integrity violations following the scan

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets move on to the actual disk integrity.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alrighty, I followed the tutorial, scheduled a disk check and rebooted to initiate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 10 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have not had any further crashes since scheduling the disc check and rebooting. I'm not sure if it actually 'did' the check because it seemed to boot up normally. I've actually been waiting to see if you had any further instructions and was going to PM/bump the post tomorrow if you hadn't replied. So I'm not sure if it's going to flare up again or if it's been fixed, I'm dearly hoping it's the latter.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would seem the issue has resolved itself but I would like to see if there are any events.
Please run a new WhoCrashed report for me if you can. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
VERY happy to report it looks as if the last crash dump matches the one in the earlier post.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111711-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x1736)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF805D3130, 0x0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .

On Tue 11/15/2011 8:38:47 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111511-01.dmp

On Wed 11/9/2011 3:30:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini110811-02.dmp

On Wed 11/9/2011 3:24:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini110811-01.dmp

On Sun 9/18/2011 5:16:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091711-01.dmp

On Fri 9/16/2011 7:56:11 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091611-01.dmp

On Mon 9/12/2011 11:59:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091211-01.dmp

On Wed 4/27/2011 12:56:33 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042711-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD5228, 0xFFFFFFFF85FE2030, 0xFFFFFFFF84437968)

On Sat 4/23/2011 12:14:28 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042311-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD54F8, 0xFFFFFFFF8603A030, 0xFFFFFFFF856A3140)

On Fri 11/19/2010 1:53:11 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111810-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD57C8, 0xFFFFFFFF86450030, 0xFFFFFFFF843F0008)

On Fri 10/29/2010 2:21:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102910-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83DD5808, 0xFFFFFFFF85FDD030, 0xFFFFFFFF858E61F8)

Conclusion

12 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

pwipf6.sys (pwipf6, Privacyware/PWI, Inc.)

ntkrpamp.exe

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to see and hear. For now we will consider this resolved but the topic will remain open just in case. If it returns feel free to post here and I will respond back ASAP. For now I am happy to say Congratulations Itachirumon. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have to unfortunately report that about 5 minutes ago the system went down again for the same reason, here's the updated whocrashed file - I'm just posting the most recent infraction since everything else is already updated above - looks like it's the same pwipf6.sys issue. I noticed a bit before the crash the internet started acting really buggy and hard to use and I got a forced-prompt for microsoft security essentials. I've been considering removing it since I installed webroot but I'm a little hesitant to do it since MSE is responsible for catching the two Alureon rootkits I was here about previously.

On Tue 11/29/2011 7:38:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini112811-01.dmp

On Tue 11/29/2011 7:38:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF80152000, 0x0, 0x0)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate [b/memtest86+-4.20.iso[/b] file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alright, I'm aware I have 2 RAM sticks in there outputting 2 gigs total. How do I boot with just 1 stick? Also, one small caviat I'm worried about... Since this deals with BIOS and I'm running an HP dv9208nr which already had a BIOS update to regulate the speed of the cooling fan, I would feel much, much more comfortable holding off on performing this test at least until I'm back at home next week/after college finals. Mostly because my "alternate" laptop is a tiny Asus netbook so if I have to put this computer in dry dock for a few days it would be better at a time when I don't have to rely on it. I'm aware of how one small slip-up on my part could result in the computer becoming a paperweight. I only hope that holding off the extra time isn't detrimental to the system, and I can still perform the test now if it is. I'm thinking it should probably be Friday, Dec 9th when I'm back home, and if it is due to faulty RAM, I can just go down and buy the replacement for it right away at that time too.