Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and Random Laptop Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Skip the manual test and just run the software test.

The bios change is only for boot sequence and what it looks to boot to in what order. No other changes are made to the bios. In reality I suggest everyone have their boot sequence set to the cdrom first just in case there is a bootup issue then you can still use a boot disk to get to the data.
I fully understand wanting to wait and we can work in another direction for now.
We can take a look at what programs may be loading you don't know about by doing the following.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Advertisements

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Here we go, I cleared up the files. Had a minor fit when I saw some of them were traffic drivers and at least one was a faulty win.32.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "Windows Defender"
+ "Messenger (Yahoo!)"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
After rebooting for the 3rd time following the Auslogics run it definitely seems like it's running a lot faster

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Anymore BSOD's or shutdowns since running the steps previously?

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
So far so good.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear and maybe we finally found the issue.
I still would like to see you run the memtest86 software on your memory to make sure it is not stressing.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
That's good news to hear, and I absolutely agree. If it's the RAM that's stressing I absolutely want to get that out of there and have it replaced with some shiny new RAM sticks. And I'd much prefer it to be the RAM than the motherboard going anyway, much less of a headache to replace and far less scary data-loss wise. Plus, since I have to upgrade my Asus netbook from 1 gig to 2 anyway I'm already in the market for it.

Edited by Itachirumon, 30 November 2011 - 11:09 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let me know how the memtest goes and the results.
:thumbsup:

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
As an aside - I've noticed recently during times that my RAM's load has increased to unprecedented levels around 96% even at rest, the svchost.exe with the extension 6.0.6001.18000 s pulling around 450k-500k from it. This one has to do with the # of people using the network right, as just a guess? It seems rather bipolar at the points but becomes especially tricky in the first hour after reboot.

Edit 1 - as a further aside I just noticed attempting to print adobe-based files from my pre-calc website resulted in a extremely long delay that prompted 2 freezes (no BSOD just the screen froze and I got the 'waiting' beep) 3rd time around it printed but only after a delay of around 5 minutes. Second file printed instantly. It's never done this before, I even printed 27 pages worth earlier for a student notes job.

Edited by Itachirumon, 02 December 2011 - 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you run the memtest yet?

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Not yet, it looks like I'll be running it probably around 4-5 pm on december 9th cos' that's when I get home. Possibly closer to 3-4 on the 8th. Because I need to grab a blank disc I can either grab one at home or there's a vending machine on campus I saw selling them besides the bookstore. Something I've been thinking about - there are times my CD drive doesn't like to "read" a disc being in there. Sometimes it's just a bad disc but other times the disc works fine on other computers. Is that just a bad ROM itself or could the driver be acting screwy?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem I will wait for your results.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alright, sorry about how long this has taken, some personal grandma issues arose (and failing pre-calc u.u) and made the last week or so crummy. I'm running the memtest as we speak - luckily it appeared to run immediately without me having to change the boot order. I wanted to bring up an initial thing I notied. My L3 Cache says "None" instead of showing some XXK XXXX MBs like the L1 and L2 - I'm not sure if that's a problem or not. More 'worryingly' under Chipset it says AMD K8 IMC (ECC : Disabled). I bring this up because on the screenshots from page one the Chipset is listed as saying something else - I'm not sure how troublesome it is that this is disabled or what it would mean.

In the meantime I'll wait for the test to finish and update you on the results. Happy Holidays and thank you for being so patient with me!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I will get a email notification when you reply.
Merry Christmas and Happy New years to you also just in case you don't make it back before then. The problem may be a failing motherboard in the laptop or just a quirky reading at the time.