Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and Random Laptop Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yikes, that's not good at all if its a failing motherboard. I'm almost through the 5th pass and so far we have 0 errors though.

Edit: apparantly for the test itself it mentions the ECC is off down below too so maybe it just needed to be reenabled elsewhere?

Edit 2: I'll take a few pictures with my droid to substitute as screenshots and upload them once its run the test a couple more times for the sake of full clarity.

Edited by Itachirumon, 21 December 2011 - 08:42 AM.

Advertisements

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alright, here's a copy of the screen as it looked after the sixth run, I had 3 images if you wind up needing them - I'm happy to report that 0 under errors. Hopefully that was just a unique run and the ECC memory isn't a mobo issue or anything else to worry about!

Edit: Apologies about the rather large size of the image when clicked on

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20111221_080509.jpg

Edited by Itachirumon, 21 December 2011 - 10:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually that helps narrow down the possible reasons for the errors.
Now a quick question does this happen if you have the laptop plugged into power and running off the battery or just one of them?

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I try to leave the laptop plugged into a power source at all times except for the rare times I take it into a different room. I noticed it seemed to happen more if I had an ethernet cable/xbox ethernet cable plugged in to help subsidize UCSD's buggy internet connection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you are running wireless and wired at the same time?
Conflict

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Not anymore, but that would explain why that happens, I'll keep my ethernet cable at home then when I go back. Only reason I was using it in the first place was that the wireless connection was behaving really buggy for a few weeks at the college. But it's good to know that might be what was causing it, thank you for letting me know.

Melvin_Deal

Melvin_Deal

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
As your Vista driven machine is a few years old...

Have you checked the bottom and side ventilation intake and exhaust ports for the cooling fan to make sure they are clean of dust and debris? Can you hear the fan run (should ramp up and down depending on core temperature)

The heating problem should be ruled out by process of elimination: You can get Piriform's Speccy (A completely venerable and respected program and publisher) here -> http://www.piriform.com/speccy

This will report the system internal reported temperatures as equipped... If you have any readings close to 70 degrees celsius or above then you may have temp related bsod.

Sincerely,
-Mel
Live long and prosper!

From post #3 on this thread: This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

From post #1 on this thread: "and save for occasional viruses and manufacturer's defects in the case design"

Edited by Melvin_Deal, 21 December 2011 - 11:29 PM.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I definitely appreciate that suggestion - and the ports probably do need a good canned-airing, I've got a cooling pad underneath it (its for a 15 inch instead of a 19 but it works. Also appreciate the program suggestion.

That said - in the future I think GtG works by having one higher-up mod help per topic ^^.

Melvin_Deal

Melvin_Deal

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Itachirumon!

My apologies if I posted inappropriately on your thread!! :) I will review the Forum rules again to make sure I am posting appropriately! My understanding was that this is an open user help forum. My post was approved by a Mod before it was allowed to be visible to you. I meant not to be an annoyance or distraction!!!

I am new on this forum and after reviewing the whole thread, offered help in conjunction with the prevailing posting Mod!

Sincerely,
-Mel
Live long and prosper!!

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
You're no bother ^^

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a open forum and anyone can post advice as long as it is within the Terms Of Use parameters. Feel free to add any suggestion and if it is not appropriate it will be edited or deleted accordingly. GTG's rules does not state a mod or staff member has to be involved in a topic but I was just honored enough to be the one who replied to your topic but I am always open to others joining in if they have a valid suggestion which has been included by Melvin.
:thumbsup:

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ohhh, okay, I thought at least for the virus-cleaning area it was 1 person to a topic so different methods wouldn't be combobulated, myy bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When it comes to malware it can only be done in the malware forum by a malware tech. I am not a malware tech nor mod so therefor that is why I advise to go to the malware forum for help with those problems.
Below is the welcome I give members with computer experience that explains this.

Hello Itachirumon :wave: .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, Nice to have you here and please feel free to look around and enjoy the forums.
Feel free to add your suggestions in any forum other then the Malware forum as only the Techs trained for that area can give assistance. Also no Malware advice is allowed outside of the Malware forum. Just a piece of advice for you. ;)
:thumbsup: :ph34r: :yes:

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alrighty

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Back to the issue now. Have you been able to clean out the vents and has it helped the issue any?